USA Topo - how you get them on GPS?

I'd like to put some topo maps on my Etrex Legend (blue). I'm looking at USA Topo 2008. Before I spend $70 or more I'd like to make sure that I don't need any additional $$$ software to use it - I'm wondering since apparently it does not need to be unlocked and the other products do. Makes me think that it is an add-on to be used with a locked product.

Or, am I thinking too hard about this and it includes everything I need to start using it right away?

Topo 2008 is a stand alone application. I bought it with my Garmin a few weeks ago since my primary use was intended to be hiking. From what I can tell looking at areas I've hiked in, Topo seems pretty complete. I haven't got to use it in a backcountry setting where terrain and water features will be an issue yet. In any case I would be carrying a compass and a 24K topo map of the area too. I can say the road detail in Topo 2008 is superb for the area I live in. It even has dirt farm roads listed. If you are looking for auto routing road navigation and more details of a car trip nature you might look at City Navigator.

The etrex should have come with the Garmin Mapsource software. You would use mapsource to load the maps to your GPSr

Really? Hmm. I don't recall any disks in the package, but it's been a few years and if there were I would have compulsively saved them. I'll have to go digging.

But regardless, it sounds as if Topo will also come with Mapsource as well, so I should be ok either way.

Thanks.

The Garmin Topo disk installs Mapsource automatically, so you do not need to install it separately. The Topo disk is all you need (besides the cable).

You can download Waypoint and Trip Manager for free from Garmin, but there is no point if you are installing Mapsource Topo already.

Bit the bullet and just called Garmin support, which I suppose I should have done in the first place instead of bothering you guys :ph34r:

As per Greg in C/S, Topo 2008 is compatible with Etrex Legend Blue, and looks decent on the greyscale screen. Supposedly clearer than older versions.

As indicated above, it is a stand alone product that includes all the software needed to transfer it to a GPS.