Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
hackerjoe

my stupid question

ok guys take it easy on me im only 19! now that being said lets get down to buisness! i have a short wave radio at my parents house and a cb in my truck. so my question is whats ham? i understand what it is but i would like to get into it and when i looked at the thread to decide what frequency for caching i felt lost... my cb has 40 channels does that count?

ok guys take it easy on me im only 19! now that being said lets get down to buisness! i have a short wave radio at my parents house and a cb in my truck. so my question is whats ham? i understand what it is but i would like to get into it and when i looked at the thread to decide what frequency for caching i felt lost... my cb has 40 channels does that count?

Well, cb is different from ham in several ways. Anybody can get on cb and talk; however, you need a license for ham radio. On cb, you have your 40 channels. On ham, you have a ton of frequencies you can talk on, along with several different modes to talk, such as voice, cw(morse code), digital, FM, AM...

Plus, the majority of amateur radio operators are the nicest of people!!! We help everybody out, that is the focused principle of our organization. When somebody is need, we do what we can to help out. For instance, when hurricane Katrina hit the coast, ham operators packed up their gear and headed down to provide communications for emergency relief, etc.

To read up more on amateur radio, check out these links:

ARRL

QRZ

Hello Radio

To become a ham, you will need to study for your test, which you can order a book from ARRL which explains everything, and even includes the actual test questions/answers.

I hope this helps. If not, reply back with any questions you may have, and we'll help you. Hope to hear you on the air soon!!

73's (best regards)

KE5EHZ

Cody