Sharpe Files

jktm300

Very much a newbie. I have some shp,sbx,dbf,sbn files and is ther a way to convert them to view on Map Souce

Yes, after converting your shapefile to a .gpx file. One note, the "shp,sbx,dbf,sbn" you list are the component files that make up a single "shapefile". You can use several free programs to do the conversion; GPS Utility and DNR Garmin are two that come to mind. Your shapefile needs to be in Lat/Lon. If it is projected in a different coordinate system it will have to be reprojected to Lat/Lon.

Very much a newbie. I have some shp,sbx,dbf,sbn files and is ther a way to convert them to view on Map Souce

Yes, after converting your shapefile to a .gpx file. One note, the "shp,sbx,dbf,sbn" you list are the component files that make up a single "shapefile". You can use several free programs to do the conversion; GPS Utility and DNR Garmin are two that come to mind. Your shapefile needs to be in Lat/Lon. If it is projected in a different coordinate system it will have to be reprojected to Lat/Lon.

I have searched the forums for the answer on how to convert a projected shapefile to a non-projected shapefile, so I apologize if I missed the answer.

I have a shapefile (.shp) that is projected (.prj). When I open it (in gpsmapedit and many other applications), the coordinates are wrong (they are at latitude 0 instead of 38, longitude is also off and shows at -77). Last night I downloaded QGIS and if I click on "Project Properties: Projection: Enable on the fly projection," it moves the shape to the correct coordinates. Cool, I saved the new shapefile as displayed. However when it saves it, it still saves it as projected (I saved it in a new file and new directory).

I am looking for a utility (I think I have tried just about all of them I know about) that will convert the "projected" shapefile into a "non-projected" shapefile. Maybe the only way to do this is to save the shapefile as a .CSV file, open in excel, and write a formula to convert the shapefile myself. I am not sure what formula I would use (I know it is the same as what QDIS uses, just not sure how they do it).

I included a copy of the .PRJ file for more info on the shapefile.

PROJCS["NAD_1983_StatePlane_Delaware_FIPS_0700",

GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",

DATUM["D_North_American_1983",

SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137,298.257222101]],

PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],

UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],

PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],

PARAMETER["False_Easting",200000],

PARAMETER["False_Northing",0],

PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-75.41666666666667],

PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",0.999995],

PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",38], <<-starts at 0 instead of 38

UNIT["Meter",1]]

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Rick, download this free program called DNRGarmin. Once you have the program installed, go 'File/Set Projection' and choose your "NAD_1983_StatePlane_Delaware_FIPS_0700" first so it opens correctly. When your shapefile opens DNR will create both the projected coordinate fields and the Lat/Lon fields. You should recognize the Lat/Lon as being correct for the area your data is in. To convert it to a gpx file, go to File/Save To/File/ and Save as type: (*.gpx). It creates the gpx file in WGS84.

If you have any problems contact me directly.

-Pat

Rick, download this free program called DNRGarmin. Once you have the program installed, go 'File/Set Projection' and choose your "NAD_1983_StatePlane_Delaware_FIPS_0700" first so it opens correctly. When your shapefile opens DNR will create both the projected coordinate fields and the Lat/Lon fields. You should recognize the Lat/Lon as being correct for the area your data is in. To convert it to a gpx file, go to File/Save To/File/ and Save as type: (*.gpx). It creates the gpx file in WGS84.

-Pat

Thanks Pat for the quick reply.

I tried that last night and it will only load 32,000 entries before I get an error. My shapefile has 125,000 entries (the entire state). Maybe I need to break it into smaller pieces using QDIS, save smaller files, convert each file using DNR Garmin, and then reload each one individually.

Thanks again,

Rick

-Pat

Thanks Pat for the quick reply.

I tried that last night and it will only load 32,000 entries before I get an error. My shapefile has 125,000 entries (the entire state). Maybe I need to break it into smaller pieces using QDIS, save smaller files, convert each file using DNR Garmin, and then reload each one individually.

Thanks again,

Rick

Try the free tool ogr2ogr, part of the FWTools kit (www.gdal.org or fwtools.maptools.org). You can reproject to GPX with WGS84 lat/lon using this command:

ogr2ogr -f "GPX" -t_srs WGS84 outfilename.gpx infilename.shp

Note that I haven't actually tried this particular command, but if it doesn't work exactly, some variation of it should. (You may have to use "EPSG:4326" instead of "WGS84").