Unit Comparison for a Newb? :)

Hi...I was wondering if anyone would mind explaining to me the difference between the Garmin GPSMAP 60csx and the Garmin GPSMAP 76csx? I've been shopping around, and as far as I can tell, they just put the 60 in a new container that floats, and call it the 76, however I'm not sure if there are other differences. If anyone can expand on this, I would be very appreciative! Thanks!

Edited by AustinSweetnSour

The 76 floats very well, whereas the 60 barely floats when used with lightweight rechargable batteries. The 76's throw-away 128MB card is larger than the 60's throw-away 64MB card. The 76 has slightly larger buttons above screen; the 60 has smaller buttons below screen. The 76 has an easier to use memory card slot.

Other than these minor issues, the units are virtually the same.

For gps usage they are the same. Differences are in the way the unit is sealed. The battery cover on the 76CSx is downright weird, it's a flimsy bit of plastic that is connected to a piece of rubber that is used to plug an input socket. Why the plug and cover are not separate is a mystery. So when you undo the cover it hangs by this bit of rubber that is plugged into the gps. The sd card on the 76 sits in a very strange position.

But the balance, ergonomics, and overall feel of the 76CSx is far superior to the 60CSx

You want to look at this fantastic thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=comparison

I have the 60CSx and REALLY like it. My brother just bought the 76CSx and it was the first time I'd seen one in person. I was shocked by how big it looked/felt compared to my 60CSx. I went back and hunted down the comparison thread and yeah, it is much bigger.

Edited by kenk