Logging finds of TBs

ThePetersTrio

I was recently told it's "customary" to wait a week to log a find of a TB or coin. I don't recall reading anything about this in the TB FAQ. What do you all think?

I'm new and don't wish to upset anyone. But if this is some sort of rule then shouldn't it be posted in the TB FAQ? Or am I just a dolt who didn't see it posted somewhere?

:blink:

What you want to do is make sure the bug is in the cache you found it in. If it's listed that way, you can log it right away.

Sometimes people drop a bug and can't get back to log it into the cache until they are done with their trip. In that case it's good policy to wait for the logs to catch up to the bug so it's travelers are recorded correctly.

It messes things up if you log the bug before the last person who had it gets a chance to do their own log from dropping the bug off.

Any time I find a bug or coin that is not listed as being in the cache I will send an email to the cacher shown as holding it, letting them know I have it and that I will wait a few days before logging it. Common courtesy in my opinion.

So far I don't think I have needed to grab any trackable that had been placed by an active cacher. Sometimes trackables just materialize after being out of circulation for some time. In those cases I still send the email but also note the last time the cacher logged on to the GC.com website. If there is no recent logon I grab it after a couple of days.

RK is correct that the 'wait' issue comes into play when you've picked up a bug that has not yet been logged into the cache you found it in. At least wait a couple days, especially if it's the weekend.

I messed up by doing just that. I was all excited about finding the TB that I logged it as grabbed. Not understanding that there was a difference. For now on I will make sure that it is logged into the cache that I find before I log it taken. I have to admit that getting this all straightened out has taught me a lot about TB, and TB operations.

Ok thanks for the replies. It makes sense to me now but being new to this I was thinking of it from the TB owner's POV...that being they'd want to know right away that their bug is safe and where it is. I had no idea it would mess up anything to log the find.

I just wish the FAQ would note this. It sounds like this happens a lot with new people. If I had previously read that it is customary to wait to log the find of a TB/coin, I would have been more than happy to do so. I do my homework. But after the fact, I received an email telling me I did it wrong.

How was I supposed to know? Very frustrating.