Use of government ID as handle

The address' to Amateur radio callsigns are on the WWW. As I found out with a upset motorist who entered my vehicle call plate in and he arrived at my door.

These can be searched at www.rac.ca or www.qrz.com

an example VE1YAR, just google it, it is a amateur radio club, not a person

Please be careful using your ID

The address' to Amateur radio callsigns are on the WWW. As I found out with a upset motorist who entered my vehicle call plate in and he arrived at my door.

Whoa, you really ticked off that roadrager, huh? :ph34r:

I would have to think that most hams know their names and addresses are

easily looked up on the internet. I could be wrong though.

And the CD and Book were not availible to the public, and not searchable on a cell phone either.

Oh Renegade Knight, my tag was VE9***

Available in any Ham Radio store - and many public libraries - our local library still has a 1980 version of the index.......

Well, I notice the Treehugger is Canadian, there may be some differences in the distribution of the indexes. Me, I was a novice for a couple of years when I was a teenager, and we were only allowed to do morse code!! I wasn't being a smart-aleck in my first post, really I wasn't. :ph34r:

I've been licensed since 1976.

The information has always been openly available. It's part of accepting your station license to operate a station. Also why they won't issue a license out of a P.O. Box. Because a station has to have a physical address, since it's where the transmission equipment is located. Of course we're allowed to operate portable or mobile as well, but to get a station license, you have to pick a primary station location for the license.

I learned a long time ago not to tell anyone my call sign if I don't want them to know where I live.

It's one of the reasons I don't have an amateur call sign plate for the Jeep.

There is definitely more to this story.

But it doesn't seem to be a geocaching related tale? :blink:

It is related. The OP suggests that you don't use your government ID (IE ham call signs etc) as your Geocaching name (IE handle). Not off topic, but very ON topic. By doing so you may be revealing information to the public that you may not want revealed.

Some people are laced with Paranoia. If someone wanted to find out who I am bad enough, they'd find another way to do it. Ever enter your user name in google and see what it pops up? If I was worried, I'd uplug, and throw a magnet across my HD.

I've only been in this hobby a short time, and I've had messages from more than a few HAMs, so Yes, it appears I'm noticed, and those people were nothing but friendly. Infact I met a HAM I used to talk to from way back, about 14 or 15 years ago, because he saw my callsign pop up on here.

Each to their own I guess, I think your probably typing away wearing an Armadillo Helmet. :blink:

VE3RCC and VE3RCS. Look that up in your on-line and try to get my address.

Actually, I was able to get your address very easily Dennis!

Who's Dennis? Might want to check that again. :D

I'm finding RCC living on Dennis Street and RCS on Sand Hill Road, both with addresses.

I just want to know if anyone landed any haymakers on Treehuggers front porch. :D

...Ever enter your user name in google and see what it pops up?...

What always comes up for me is a bunch of my namesakes, all of whom are both more famous, and richer than I am.

In actuality, both VE3RCC and VE3RCS are registered to the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals Museum in Kingston. :D

Edit: Sorry, quoted wrong post.

Edited by Team Magic

VE3RCC and VE3RCS. Look that up in your on-line and try to get my address.

So, do you have that on your license plate?

From simply entering it into Google® :

great site I did a stint or two at VE3 RCS

but over in the Regiment we had the call VE3RCC

which the CO let go after I left and Radio college

Canada picked it up..

Hi to all the gang

plug in "radio college canada" and:

RCC Institute of Technology

905-669-0544 or toll free 1-800-268-9098

2000 Steeles Ave. West

Concord (Toronto), Ontario

L4K 4N1

Admittedly not as easy as searching the FCC database in the U.S., but if I can get this much with essentially 2 clicks, I suspect anyone really wanting the information can get it.

OBTW, most license plate information can be had for a price. many businesses subscribe to the official database. So the point is pointless. if someone really wants to find you, they can.

Actually, i find the most interesting thing about internet searches is all the conflicting and just downright wrong information you can find.

With the above challenge of the Canadian ham calls, we already have several ambiguous results.

I wonder how often the wrong person gets the 'snot' beat out of them because a disgruntled driver looks up the info wrong? ;)

My Citizen's Band license number is KAMD-3631. Can anyone find information on me from that?

You're probably 50+ (based upon being a driver in 1975), You had a 'handle'. You have a good memory or keep things. You owned an 8-track. You liked 'Smokey and the Bandit'. You HATE Vega's and Pinto's.

I couldn't remember my VHF Marine Land license # for a hundred Monty Hall dollars. SOMEWHERE I have an engraved tag for the radio, somewhere...

My Citizen's Band license number is KAMD-3631. Can anyone find information on me from that?

You're probably 50+ (based upon being a driver in 1975), You had a 'handle'. You have a good memory or keep things. You owned an 8-track. You liked 'Smokey and the Bandit'. You HATE Vega's and Pinto's.

I couldn't remember my VHF Marine Land license # for a hundred Monty Hall dollars. SOMEWHERE I have an engraved tag for the radio, somewhere...

You got your license early in the big CB "boom" of the early seventies and you have sufficient character to obey the law even when everyone else around you was thumbing their nose at it. :laughing:

So... My current license for GMRS is WQCY-356. i paid $80 for that useless piece of paper that virtually "nobody" bothers to get for their "long range UHF radios." My ham call (with a LOT more privileges) was just renewed for free, go figure...KB4BYQ.

As the commercial says, "your information is out there, there's no use trying to hide it."

(I guess I'd better go get identity theft insurance now)

Amateur operators accept accountability by having their identity known.

Anonymity killed CB radio and is the worst thing that could have happened to the Internet.

People should be known and held accountable for their behavior.

Google 'W4AGA', which is my call sign, car tag and website name, and you'll find out WAY more about me than you ever want to know!

Does that leave me vulnerable? Yes, to a degree. But it is also something that helps keep me open and forthright; if I misbehave everyone would know exactly who I am!

I am not afraid to be known and accountable for whatever I do.

I am always leery of those who feel the need to be anonymous.