Very very slow to build map set?

xxgg

Hello.

Since loading map to my 60CSx is very slow due to USB 1.1... I use my memory card reader/writer. It does upload the file very fast but as usual Building map set takes forever.

I decided to see how long it really does take to build map sets.

I am loading a total of 5794 maps (1849.8MB) worth. Now MapSource is building the map set... time shown ? 6 hours 8 minutes !!!

Something wrong here or is this normal ?

How about you?

Any tips and tricks ?

Thanks.

You are loading too many maptiles.

It took me 90 minutes to build 1400MB and very little time to write to card with the card reader.

Remember, when you complete the the writing to card to save the file to the PC for future use, and it only takes the time of the 'writing' to copy it to another card!

Hello.

Since loading map to my 60CSx is very slow due to USB 1.1... I use my memory card reader/writer. It does upload the file very fast but as usual Building map set takes forever.

I decided to see how long it really does take to build map sets.

I am loading a total of 5794 maps (1849.8MB) worth. Now MapSource is building the map set... time shown ? 6 hours 8 minutes !!!

Something wrong here or is this normal ?

How about you?

Any tips and tricks ?

You ain't kidding! As I type this post, my computer is running at crawl speed as I am experimenting with maxing out a 4 GB SDHC card with 4673 maps filling 3.795 GB of it. This is the entire City Nav NT program plus about 80% of Topo 2008. I just wanted to see how this would work. The total time for this to load will be about 30 hours! I am loading this via a card reader since my computer's SD card slot reads/writes only SD and not SDHC. Yeah, this just ain't right somehow.

Thanks.

2,025 is the maximum number of map segment the 60CSx can utilize. Because you loaded the maps through a card reader, rather than to the receiver directly, Mapsource did not prevent the action. However, when you try to access your mapset on the 60CSx, you'll find it's full of holes. More than half the maps will be missing.

Now I have a brand new question to add to this...

Regardless if GPSr is using 1 map set or maximum of 2025 map sets...

will 60CSx perform slower? Slower in as in screen redraw when I am manually moving around the map? Or when it is doing whatever calculation(s) it needs to do?

One thing I really dislike about this handheld is its redraw rate on the screen.

Than again even the Garmin nuvi 200 I bought my brother isn't as fast as some other brand I have tried. Other brand I have tried was Mio Digiwalker C220, C310 and that thing draws the map so smoothly that it looked so smooth............ (thanks to it's 400MHz CPU)

will 60CSx perform slower? Slower in as in screen redraw when I am manually moving around the map? Or when it is doing whatever calculation(s) it needs to do?

One thing I really dislike about this handheld is its redraw rate on the screen.

Than again even the Garmin nuvi 200 I bought my brother isn't as fast as some other brand I have tried. Other brand I have tried was Mio Digiwalker C220, C310 and that thing draws the map so smoothly that it looked so smooth............ (thanks to it's 400MHz CPU)

[/quote

I have been told by Garmin's tech guys that the size of the map datadase loaded does NOT have any bearing whatsoever on, or slow down the boot up or redraw times of a unit.

And just for everybody's information, I was talking just this morning to Garmin's head handheld tech support guy who told me that the maximum number of maps the Colorados can handle is 4000 by the way.

Some POI searches will take longer, maybe a lot longer.