Rights

Misha

By deleting your cache listing if you also list it on one of the competitive sites. That is akin to the days of when Ma Bell refused to allow competitive phone companies to use their lines. Until the government stepped in and forced them to.

I must have escaped under the radar. I have many of my caches listed on navicache.com - better not tell the folks at Groundspeak or they'll delete them. :D

I would have to say at this point that GC.com has a monopoly.

Oh boy, this one got me going. GC.com is NOT a monopoly.. A monopoly is a situation where there is only 1 option for a particular product in a marketplace. For instance, the early days of telephones. There was only one telephone provider, and it was impossible for any other companies to get into the market and compete.

1) How does GC.com prevent other companies from competing in the market?

2) How can GC.com be considered a monopoly when there are clearly other companies competing in the market? (not very well mind you).

On that note those sites are not inter-changable. GC has a specific "unik" product which is not universal, where as the phone system has one product over many providers. With this fact GC is a monopoly.

Ed

PS: I know Misha well he is a great person until he is online then he seams to stop thinking about what he is saying.

I would have to say at this point that GC.com has a monopoly.

Oh boy, this one got me going. GC.com is NOT a monopoly.. A monopoly is a situation where there is only 1 option for a particular product in a marketplace. For instance, the early days of telephones. There was only one telephone provider, and it was impossible for any other companies to get into the market and compete.

1) How does GC.com prevent other companies from competing in the market?

2) How can GC.com be considered a monopoly when there are clearly other companies competing in the market? (not very well mind you).

On that note those sites are not inter-changable. GC has a specific "unik" product which is not universal, where as the phone system has one product over many providers. With this fact GC is a monopoly.

Ed

PS: I know Misha well he is a great person until he is online then he seams to stop thinking about what he is saying.

What's 'unik'? If they have a eunuch product, I don't want any. Edited by sbell111

My caches are interchangable. They list on any site. This site is not a monopoy, though it is the 800lb gorilla playing with a few chimps.

:D <---I love that one LOL

:D <---good one too

We deserve the right to review moderators!

veruca.jpg

We deserve the right to review the reviewers!

verucasalt.jpg

We deserve the right to elect the board of governors!

wonkpic8.jpg

We deserve the right to review our rules!

veruca.jpg

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

youngones.jpg

LOL

Dont like it? then dont pay $30...ya dont pay $30? and dont like it? ...then go get co-ords from another site.

gunnery-sergeant-hartman-pointing.jpg

Edited by KidRipley

It's early, but my vote for post of the year goes to the one above me.

I'd have to agree. My daughter is one of the stars in her school's production of Willy Wonka, so this was extra funny for me. I will have to show her this thread!

Yes, but then you'd have to explain The Young Ones to her.

To put things back on topic, I can understand the OP's feelings about keeping geocaching independent from the listing site. However, taking that sentiment forward seems to be something for local caching organizations and Terracachers.org to do. I don't think calling out Groundspeak for running their business does anything but make the poster look like a fool.

This organization is not democratic it is a dictatorship, and that must change.

I agree !

We deserve the right to not have our DNFs deleted by retentive cache owners!

We deserve the right to powercache 150 finds in a day without retribution or deletion!

End the dictatorship !

:ph34r:

Touche!! Right on the money, 4wheelin_fool!

LMAO

Hello Geocachers;

People please stand up for your rights!

It should be through a standard form vote, not random mumblings in email.

M

If you want to classify it as a dictatorship I'd have to say that it's a darn benevolent one. I think we have a pretty fair amount of input as far as these things go but nothings perfect and there is always room for improvement. The reviewers, moderators, admins and pretty much every other representative of Groundspeak I've dealt with have been cordial even when discussions and/or other things going on weren't so much so. The only right we have here is to get our moneys worth, and if we don't, to take our business somewhere else. Seems like a good number of people like exercising that right just fine and choose to stay here.

Hello Geocachers;

People please stand up for your rights!

It should be through a standard form vote, not random mumblings in email.

M

I have yet to be involved with any business where it is run by democratic vote of the customers. There is the boss, and there are the underlings and the boss is always at the top of the decision process. Customer feedback can be taken into consideration, but it is not required... It's smart business to do so, but not to the point it sways at the slightest breeze of every bag of wind that happens by.

Y know who else is a dictatorship... Sears. I called them today to fix my washer and they told me that I was going to have to wait until 1-5 pm tomorrow. You would think a huge company like that would have somebody over before I hung up the phone!! And while we are at it so are doctors.. ever have 2 out of 4 kids with bronchitis! They tell you that your appointment is at 1 but really they mean 1:35, then they make you wait and wait and wait... And why doesn't the school have a special bronchitis section. Don't they know that having kids at home today severely interrupted some precious caching time!! I am Oppressed!!

Or is it depressed :huh:

Y know who else is a dictatorship... Sears. I called them today to fix my washer and they told me that I was going to have to wait until 1-5 pm tomorrow. You would think a huge company like that would have somebody over before I hung up the phone!! And while we are at it so are doctors.. ever have 2 out of 4 kids with bronchitis! They tell you that your appointment is at 1 but really they mean 1:35, then they make you wait and wait and wait... And why doesn't the school have a special bronchitis section. Don't they know that having kids at home today severely interrupted some precious caching time!! I am Oppressed!!

Or is it depressed :huh:

I don't know, have you've been maintaining your Sears/Doctor/School/Home $30 a year membership?