Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Marsguy

A Geocaching Merit Badge

For those of you who are or have been involved with Boy Scouts, what do you think about having a Geocaching Merit Badge - Hey, they have an Orienteering Merit Badge, and Geocaching has been out for so long, I bet they could include it. This would also give Scouts the opportunity to learn a Merit Badge skill that is atLEAST LESS THAN 10 YEARS OLD! What I mean to say is, none of the merit badges are really teaching anything to do with new technology - even computers talks about the difference between an analog and a digital computer! The computers merit badge utilizes only the decade-old uses for computers - word processing, database management, calcluations - what I'm saying is that the Boy Scouts need a modern merit badge, and a Geocaching Merit Badge would be perfect. Geocaching is a sport, and they already have merit badges for other sports, why shouldn't Geocaching be included?

This is being discussed over here Link..

For those of you who are or have been involved with Boy Scouts, what do you think about having a Geocaching Merit Badge - Hey, they have an Orienteering Merit Badge, and Geocaching has been out for so long, I bet they could include it. This would also give Scouts the opportunity to learn a Merit Badge skill that is atLEAST LESS THAN 10 YEARS OLD! What I mean to say is, none of the merit badges are really teaching anything to do with new technology - even computers talks about the difference between an analog and a digital computer! The computers merit badge utilizes only the decade-old uses for computers - word processing, database management, calcluations - what I'm saying is that the Boy Scouts need a modern merit badge, and a Geocaching Merit Badge would be perfect. Geocaching is a sport, and they already have merit badges for other sports, why shouldn't Geocaching be included?

You mean something like this?

WAYMARKS POSTED 997

purple25.gifblue50.gifgreen100.gifyellow250.giforange500.gif

WAYMARKS VISITED 835

purple25.gifblue50.gifgreen100.gifyellow250.giforange500.gif

I had a brainstorm here about Scouting and Waymarking.

You could create a Boy Scout Waymark Group that could use the online sources just like geocaching for the other activities encompassed by the new age.

They could earn Merits in the same way by completing or visiting or the possibilities are endless as to the things this could do.

It could be used to map out historic things around them and gain other badges that are related to Scouting as well.

I will let you run with it.

I am over at Waymarking too so if you need help just let me know.

GEO*

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Eagle Scout here.

A Geocaching Merit Badge would be too easy. Maybe it could be incorporated into part of Orienteering Merit Badge or something similar?

I've seen kids pick up on using a GPSr and geocaching in 5 minutes--hardly worth a merit badge.

And is playing a game worth a merit badge? How would you feel about Sony Playstation Merit Badge?

Eagle Scout here.

A Geocaching Merit Badge would be too easy. Maybe it could be incorporated into part of Orienteering Merit Badge or something similar?

I've seen kids pick up on using a GPSr and geocaching in 5 minutes--hardly worth a merit badge.

And is playing a game worth a merit badge? How would you feel about Sony Playstation Merit Badge?

Hey, ever heard of the art merit badge. (30 minute merit badge) Some kids have a naturally born talent for things. Some may say that theater is too easy; they are born actors. How about computers? That one's pretty easy for anyone that uses the computer a lot.

The Sony playstation badge would not work because there are also other things like it out there, like xbox or nintendo. There isn't really any other sport like geocaching, except maybe Wherigo :anicute: .

Eagle Scout here.

It could become part of the Orienteering Merit Badge if you are willing to do it without a GPS. Electronic aids are illegal in Orienteering.

My son is an Eagle and I was an Assistant Scoutmaster in his troop. I honestly don't see the skill set this badge would develop. I think it's a great activity that dovetails very well with hiking, but not a good candidate for a merit badge.

Edited by TrailGators

My son is an Eagle and I was an Assistant Scoutmaster in his troop. I honestly don't see the skill set this badge would develop. I think it's a great activity that dovetails well well with hiking, but not a good candidate for a merit badge.

Agree.... I've mentioned in other threads that have come up in the past that it could be an activity associated with part of an Electronic Navigation Merit Badge, but I don't see a badge based solely on using a GPS to find a Cache.

My son is an Eagle and I was an Assistant Scoutmaster in his troop. I honestly don't see the skill set this badge would develop. I think it's a great activity that dovetails very well with hiking, but not a good candidate for a merit badge.

Agree.... I've mentioned in other threads that have come up in the past that it could be an activity associated with part of an Electronic Navigation Merit Badge, but I don't see a badge based solely on using a GPS to find a Cache.

That might work. They could learn about all the different coordinate systems and datums... Edited by TrailGators

That might work. They could learn about all the different coordinate systems and datums...

Yes and commercial, industrial, & military uses.... Navigational systems for aircraft. Applying GPS data to map production.... There's a lot more there than just finding a box or two in the woods and grabbing a patch.

The Girl Scouts around here are already setting up patches for their own Geocaching and orienteering courses, I'll be teaching another group of GS troops later this spring!!

I think it's a great thing since we all know that equipment modernizes. Good to teach the young ladies a bit of navigation with today's tools. Besides, these will be tomorrow's cachers, teach them the rights and wrongs and the game is furthered!!

Well said Roddy! There were a few girls in my Guiding unit that already geocached with their families and as a leader I find it easier to teach what I know. We also have a 'create your own badge' and two of the girls (including my own, Cinnabear) chose geocaching. For the badge they had to think of eight 'tasks' associated with geocaching and do six of them (like most GG badges) for example:

1. Create a username and account on geocaching.com

2. Explain how a GPS works.

3. What is CITO and why is it so important?

4. Put together a geocache and hide it.

5. Find at least 3 geocaches. (you can make this harder by doing a puzzle or muli or earthcache)

6. Explain why it is important to carry extra batteries and a compass.

ok these are just 6 things, I can't remember all she had. The point is a badge can be made and geocaching is a lot more complicated than following a GPS. In regards to our program my girls had a great hike, learned about orienteering, keeping our environment clean, camoflage, computer skills, and deciphering codes. You can also add in trail marking and nature watching.

The UK Scout assosiation has the navigator badge which represents geocaching the requirements are:

Demonstrate an awareness of the Global Positioning System (GPS) to include:

How it works

Ownership and control of the system

Benefits to society

What factors affect accuracy.

Programme a hand-held GPS receiver to perform the following functions:

Find your location (grid reference and latitude/longitude) and record it

Enter the grid reference of a local landmark and navigate to the waypoint

Enter the latitude/longitude coordinates of a nearby point and navigate to the waypoint, checking the accuracy

Walk on a bearing using the GPS and a map.

Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between Ordnance Survey and latitude/longitude coordinates.

Using an Ordnance Survey map (1:25 000 or 1:50 000 scale) plan a route of at least 4km that contains a minimum of 10 waypoints. Discuss the features and challenges that exist along the route. Programme the route into a hand-held GPS and undertake the journey.

Sign up to a geocaching website. Find out about geocaching and demonstrate an understanding of what is involved in both locating and placing a geocache.

Demonstrate an understanding of the safety and environmental aspects of geocaching, e.g. relevant Activity Rules in chapter nine of Policy, Organisation and Rules; Highway Code; Countryside Code and guidelines produced by the Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB).

Find five geocaches using a GPS, at least 3 of which must be 'multi-caches' with at least two waypoints. Discuss the accuracy of the information provided and of the GPS receiver you used.

With adult assistance where necessary:

Plan, assemble and hide 2 caches, one of which should be a multi-cache. The planning should involve making sure the location is suitable and that other navigators have proper access to the land and terrain

Either submit your caches to a geocaching website, or give the details to other Scouts to successfully find the caches.

In Canada scouting, we have a "indivdual specialty badge". Can you guess what my specialty was? ....Geocaching :unsure:
We're slowly getting around to doing the same. And using requirements similar to what Labtech28 posted.

I'm also a Eagle scout and I don't think a merit badge just for geocache is quite right. I think it would really take away from some of the great skills learned from the orienteering merit badge. I think geocaching and scouting go great together. If fact a while back another cacher and I got together and took a troop out and we hide a bunch of caches and introduced them to caching. We didn't get to show them much of the website, but we where able to teach them the basic's of a handheld GPS.

A great activity for scouts and something to do while there working on their hiking badge but I just think with the technoagly there they would really lose any interest in learning how to use a manual compass and how to read maps. I mean why learn how when a GPS will pretty much do it for you.

trust me they will apretiate the map method as soon as the batteries fail or it gets wet or they realise they cant get any signal. i agree that with technology you dont need to rely as much on the old map skills but you still need them for emergencys.

The Girl Scouts already have an interest patch for geocaching. It is online only: http://www.studio2b.org/lounge/gs_stuff/ip_tech.asp I did it with my troop last year, we have a girl scout camp revolving around geocaching this summer, and my troop is going to complete this badge with a Junior troop this spring (As soon as some of this snow melts!). The girls love it and it gets them involved with science and the outdoors at the same time.

I would be in favor of an Electronic Navigational badge, earned only after the Orienteering Badge. A Scout needs to know how to use a compass and maps in the field, for safety. Like someone said above, you can drop your GPSr on a rock, or run out of battery power.

I think the Electronic Navigational badge should include: using a GPSr, recording tracks, backtracking. Taking your track and moving it to computer mapping programs including Google Earth. Planning a track/route on an computer map, and then installing it in the GPSr and following it in the field. Study the track distance, elevation profile, terrain, etc.

MY DISTRICT EXEC TOLD US ON 3/10/09 THAT A GPS/GIS MERIT BADGE HAS BEEN APPROVED AND SHOULD BE OUT BY THE FALL.

Edited by paramurdock

When this topic was brought up before, I suggested an Electronic Navigation merit badge. This would be separate from any current badges and could include a geocaching component. The badge would as others have stated in this thread and others, focus on the use of electronic technologies involved with navigation which would all fall under the GPS/GIS.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

Sooo.... if the major arguement is that it would be too easy or not enough to it, why not move it down to Cub Scout level and make it part of the Web2 program. Prehaps add it as an optional belt loop for the Outdoorsman requirement.

I've been a Den Leader for our Web2's this year and they would eat something like Geocaching up. Then it would give some background and incorporate it into a requirement for something at BS level. I am going to guess that this really is also more suited as an overall activity for the Venturing Scouts. An overnight hiking trip to hit some caches in a state park would be a nice activity for them.

For those of you who are or have been involved with Boy Scouts, what do you think about having a Geocaching Merit Badge - Hey, they have an Orienteering Merit Badge, and Geocaching has been out for so long, I bet they could include it. This would also give Scouts the opportunity to learn a Merit Badge skill that is atLEAST LESS THAN 10 YEARS OLD!

I can see both sides. The skill is Land Navigation. Sad that the two badges that cover the critical skill are not Eagle required. If you were to pull the map an compass reqs out of orienteering then all that is left is an activity with a map and compass just like geocaching is an activity with a GPS. Granted more difficult to master. So my dream would be a Land Navigation (Eagle required) badge with two paths map and compass and gps with orienteering and geocaching components. Orienteering is the ultimate activity to learn map and compass but the same could be said for geocaching for learning gps. That's how I learned both!

Backpacking

Do the following:

a. Demonstrate that you can read topographic maps.

b. While on a trek, use a map and compass to establish your position on the ground at least three times at three different places, OR use a GPS receiver to establish your position on a topographic map and on the ground at least three times at three different places.

c. Explain how to stay found, and what to do if you get lost.

Orienteering

Do the following:

a. Explain how a compass works. Describe the features of an orienteering compass.

b. In the field, show how to take a compass bearing and follow it.

Do the following:

a. Explain how a topographic map shows terrain features. Point out and name five terrain features on a map and in the field.

b. Point out and name 10 symbols on a topographic map.

c. Explain the meaning of declination. Tell why you must consider declination when using map and compass together.

d. Show a topographic map with magnetic north-south lines.

e. Show how to measure distances using an orienteering compass.

f. Show how to orient a map using a compass.

Set up a 100-meter pace course. Determine your walking and running pace for 100 meters. Tell why it is important to pace-count.

At the BSA National Meeting last May, there was talk that a geocaching merit badge was coming. No further info.

The lastest BSA catalog has a geocaching related patch: http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDe...54^8^01RTL&

its item "18154". for the "Geocaching Recruitment Program"

For the Year of Celebration program coming up in September (runs thru the end of 2010), there is a geocaching component. For the "Outdoors" part, Adult Leaders and Alumni can participate in 100th Anniversary geocaching activity. No info so far on the site about what it is.

http://scouting.org/100years/100years/ayea...elebration.aspx

The new GPS/GIS Merit Badge is coming out early 2010. I believe it will include Geocaching

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2009/08/13/new-merit-badges

I employ GPS / Geocaching in Citizenship In The Community Merit Badge. Like a Multi, taking the boys to various locales of historical interest. Certainly has added a different spice to the mix. With respect to the " Too easy " comments. No big problem with a Challenge series to add a different dimension to the requirements.

Tomahawk Scout Reservation offers many different segments, all of which have Scout skills tied into the requirements. One of these segments is about geocaching. since this is private property, the caches are not available for the public.

For the Year of Celebration program coming up in September (runs thru the end of 2010), there is a geocaching component. For the "Outdoors" part, Adult Leaders and Alumni can participate in 100th Anniversary geocaching activity. No info so far on the site about what it is.

There are five activities which have been developed for the "Get In The Game!" program:

Pillars of Scouting Here, Scouters will have the chance to move a travel bug representing one of the five pillars of Scouting (Leadership, Service, Achievement, Character, and Outdoors)

Cache to Eagle These are caches that have been setup to showcase Eagle Scout service project sites. This is in partnership with geoscouting.com

Treasures of Scouting These are caches setup by councils to highlight the five sections of the scouting program: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing, Volunteers, and BSA Alumni.

Race to 2010 There is still limited information available about this yet, but each council participating in the "Get In The Game!" program will release a travel bug associated with a Pinewood Derby car.

Cache In, Trash Out Working with geocaching.com, the Boy Scouts of America will be hosting a single day of service across the country.

The new GPS/GIS Merit Badge is coming out early 2010. I believe it will include Geocaching

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2009/08/13/new-merit-badges

Today, I got the January/February issue of Scouting magazine. In the "What's New" feature on page 12 it lists the new merit badges to appear in 2010. The Geocaching (not GPS/GIS) merit badge will debut in the second quarter of 2010. We should expect to see the new pamphlet in about 4-5 months.

Other new merit badges for 2010 are SCUBA (already out), Inventing (1st quarter), Scouting Heritage (2nd quarter) and Robotics (expected by the end of 2010). I seem to recall that Inventing was a merit badge a long time ago.

Eagle Scout here.

Exactly!

How would you feel about Sony Playstation Merit Badge?

I would not discount it out of hand. As the BSA comes into its 100th year, there is a constant search for relevancy in the lives of young men around the country. The declining numbers of participants would seemingly indicate that there is a very real need to have a program that engages more than one "type" of young man. I loved Scouting when I was a Scout for the opportunity to camp and explore, my son enjoyed some of the same things. I am told that that is not always the case these days, so if Electronic Gaming Merit Badge would help revive interest in the program and attract participation I am in favor of it.

Check out the new Cub Scout belt loops.

One of them is 'video games'

O_o

I would not discount it out of hand. As the BSA comes into its 100th year, there is a constant search for relevancy in the lives of young men around the country. The declining numbers of participants would seemingly indicate that there is a very real need to have a program that engages more than one "type" of young man. I loved Scouting when I was a Scout for the opportunity to camp and explore, my son enjoyed some of the same things. I am told that that is not always the case these days, so if Electronic Gaming Merit Badge would help revive interest in the program and attract participation I am in favor of it.

The collection of merit badges changes every year or so with some addtions and deletions to keep relevant with current interests of the Scouting age population. Past merit badges (now discontinued) have included:

Bee Farming, Blacksmithing, Foundry Practice, Hog & Pork Production, Stalking and Wireless among many others.

As our nation has "urbanized", many of the agricutural type badges have faded away to be replaced by more modern technology based fields. This is merely a reflection of changing times and has been going on for the entire existance of the BSA. Merit badge history can be viewed here.

Edited by Road Rabbit

The collection of merit badges changes every year or so with some addtions and deletions to keep relevant with current interests of the Scouting age population. Past merit badges (now discontinued) have included:

Bee Farming, Blacksmithing, Foundry Practice, Hog & Pork Production, Stalking and Wireless among many others.

As our nation has "urbanized", many of the agricutural type badges have faded away to be replaced by more modern technology based fields. This is merely a reflection of changing times and has been going on for the entire existance of the BSA. Merit badge history can be viewed here.

Well, I still incorporate GPS in Citizenship In The Community Merit Badge. Takes the Scouts to little known or appreciated locales in the community / region. It is also a good lead in to Search and Rescue Procedures where electronic aids are an adjunct to the map and compass.

Edited by humboldt flier

The UK Scout assosiation has the navigator badge which represents geocaching the requirements are:

Demonstrate an awareness of the Global Positioning System (GPS) to include:

How it works

Ownership and control of the system

Benefits to society

What factors affect accuracy.

Programme a hand-held GPS receiver to perform the following functions:

Find your location (grid reference and latitude/longitude) and record it

Enter the grid reference of a local landmark and navigate to the waypoint

Enter the latitude/longitude coordinates of a nearby point and navigate to the waypoint, checking the accuracy Excellent

Walk on a bearing using the GPS and a map.

Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between Ordnance Survey and latitude/longitude coordinates.

Using an Ordnance Survey map (1:25 000 or 1:50 000 scale) plan a route of at least 4km that contains a minimum of 10 waypoints. Discuss the features and challenges that exist along the route. Programme the route into a hand-held GPS and undertake the journey.

Sign up to a geocaching website. Find out about geocaching and demonstrate an understanding of what is involved in both locating and placing a geocache.

Demonstrate an understanding of the safety and environmental aspects of geocaching, e.g. relevant Activity Rules in chapter nine of Policy, Organisation and Rules; Highway Code; Countryside Code and guidelines produced by the Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB).

Find five geocaches using a GPS, at least 3 of which must be 'multi-caches' with at least two waypoints. Discuss the accuracy of the information provided and of the GPS receiver you used.

With adult assistance where necessary:

Plan, assemble and hide 2 caches, one of which should be a multi-cache. The planning should involve making sure the location is suitable and that other navigators have proper access to the land and terrain

Either submit your caches to a geocaching website, or give the details to other Scouts to successfully find the caches.

Check out the new Cub Scout belt loops.

One of them is 'video games'

O_o

B) I like the new Cub Scout Belt Loops and video games is one. Along with Good Manners, Pet Care, and Disability Awareness. Although they sound easy someone actually thought them out to make it a learning experience. Several of us in our Den looked at them and thought the boys would get a lot out of them. Like the major goals of Video Games is to teach the parent and child limits on gaming time. incorporating them into family time. and understanding the consumerism of games.

Geocaching and Scouting... Or Webelos are going on a CITO for starters and we are not going to pollute them with simpleness of an iPhone Geocaching app to learn about their first GPS device. The more we sell this past-time of caching the sooner it will get Legislated. So I don't agree with teaching the masses. I know homeowners who hate sharing there parks with outsiders and see a day when caches get outlawed, like metal detecting is now as compared to the 70's. This is not my wish, it will just happen, so the less we teach others about caching the later it will get Legislated.

My son is 2nd class scout, an avid geocacher (with over 1000 finds) and he sees no point in a geocaching merit badge. To him merit badges are about learning life long skills and discovering possible future career opportunties. Geocaching (and video game belt loops) do not fit into that.

I have to agree with him. While geocaching may be good to pass the time, get to know others, and perhaps teach a little about caring for the environment, I really find no true unique qualities for a geocaching merit badge that are not already covered extensively by other merit badges.

Seems to me, more of creating a badge based on fad, rather than on practical life skills or profession. It will be interesting to see what the criteria are for this one......

Hey AstroD Your comments are kind of one sided don't you think. Just because your son doesn't think there should be a merit badge because he can't see any good use for geocaching in the boy scout's. Learning how to use the GPSr for other things besides just finding a cache is the point of the merit badge. Maybe your son should try using his GPSr for something else besides Geocaching???

A Team Vallejo phrased it well in response to AstroD when commenting, "Hey AstroD your comments are kind of one sided don't you think."

Seems like BSA has got on board with the idea of a new merit badge similar to what Humboldt flier was talking about in his Dec. 28, 2009 post about how the UK scout association has a "Navigator Badge".

BSA has announced the new "Geocaching" merit badge to be released sometime Spring 2010. See http://www.scouting.org/ProSpeak/Best_Prac...loops_pins.aspx

Originally the new badge was announced as being called "GPS/GIS merit badge" but seems like now it will simply be called "Geocaching Merit Badge".

Although AstroD's son may not "see any point" to the new badge, I believe it will become a very popular badge to be earned at summer camp and throughout the year.

Looks like we will all have to wait and see what exactly the requirements will be.

Hey AstroD Your comments are kind of one sided don't you think. Just because your son doesn't think there should be a merit badge because he can't see any good use for geocaching in the boy scout's. Learning how to use the GPSr for other things besides just finding a cache is the point of the merit badge. Maybe your son should try using his GPSr for something else besides Geocaching???

His point is that in some of the merit badges he has already earned or is working on, GPS use has come up and in surveying, it is used quite a bit (He taught the boys about the various models and limitations of the different units as well as impressed the hell out of the merit badge counselor with his extensive knowledge of benchmark hunting and reading and interpreting NGS datasheets). He has also taken his GPSr to mark the various building and locations at a local YMCA camp to create a map of the camp and has walked/skiied several miles of trails creating updated and accurate trail maps for the camp.

So, my son DOES use his GPSr for many things that doesn't involve finding tupperware in the woods. And his usage with a GPSr, goes well beyond finding crap in the woods; his opinion on this merit badge is just a valid as yours. At least he has the decorum not to be so condescending about others opinions.

Edited by AstroD-Team

Well aren't you and your son so very special.

There are many merit badges that are designed to introduce young men to activities that they otherwise would not participate in, they are designed to give an exposure so that the young person can decide if it might be something they would pursue as a vocation or avocation. Scouting is a program of engagement, intended to engage the young person in community and activities , primarily in the outdoors. The decline in the number of participants , in some areas --precipitous decline, militates towards development of new and potentially interesting facets of the program. Geocaching Merit Badge is one such avenue. I suggest that your view and that of your son is overly restrictive, and your approach to espousing your opinion is every bit as condescending, if not more so than any other opinion expressed thus far in the thread.

I do like Golf Merit Badge also, Scuba , wintersports, etc. Not every merit badge is career oriented, some are intended to be "just plain fun". One frequent criticism of Scouting is that the rank and merit badge routine is just more homework, it was never intended to be such.

Edited by Packanack
  • Upvote 1

Just al little FYI, there is geocaching merit badge to be released late 2010. coming from a tenderfoot though.

Okay, I am currently the Scoutmaster for a CT Troop, and I like to geocache. What is the point of this arguement? How can anyone who claims to be a scouter have any problem with geocaching? It is another way to get boys to enjoy the outdoors, period. I have gone to some state parks for many years (decades) and have gone again now that I geocache and have had a totally different experience and seen new areas of beauty. I don't see a downside to that. Taken to extreme, what is the point of the hiking merit badge, we all learn to walk pretty early in life, and this is an Eagle badge! Get over it, Scouting should be fun and encourage a healthy, active lifestyle. Geocaching fits the bill wonderfully.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I am currently the Scoutmaster for a CT Troop, and I like to geocache. What is the point of this arguement? How can anyone who claims to be a scouter have any problem with geocaching? It is another way to get boys to enjoy the outdoors, period. I have gone to some state parks for many years (decades) and have gone again now that I geocache and have had a totally different experience and seen new areas of beauty. I don't see a downside to that. Taken to extreme, what is the point of the hiking merit badge, we all learn to walk pretty early in life, and this is an Eagle badge! Get over it, Scouting should be fun and encourage a healthy, active lifestyle. Geocaching fits the bill wonderfully.

Thank you. I am a scout and LOVE caching. I am happy that Boy Scouts is incorporating Geocaching into the scouting experience. I think it will be a total and complete success.

The uses for a GPSr can be endless when it comes to teaching. Plus it makes things fun. You can set up a geotrail to learn plants different kinds of rocks, trees and what ever. you can make it into a competition. Come on use that imagination gawsh.

And I heard on podcacher the badge is out

Keep on Caching!

Hey Scouter a BIG 10 - 4 to you on that one.

My son is 2nd class scout, an avid geocacher (with over 1000 finds) and he sees no point in a geocaching merit badge. To him merit badges are about learning life long skills and discovering possible future career opportunties. Geocaching (and video game belt loops) do not fit into that.

I have to agree with him. While geocaching may be good to pass the time, get to know others, and perhaps teach a little about caring for the environment, I really find no true unique qualities for a geocaching merit badge that are not already covered extensively by other merit badges.

Seems to me, more of creating a badge based on fad, rather than on practical life skills or profession. It will be interesting to see what the criteria are for this one......

I speak as a family of avid Geocachers (1000+ and almost 90 hides) and active scouts (1st class and Eagle Scout, Cubmaster, Den Leader, Committe member, Summer camp chair, District and Council trainer, Commissioner etc ). Having been involved with training adult leaders I am pretty solid in what I think the BSA Program is about. I think there are so many ways to learn while having fun. There are so many untapped ways to have young men and boys develop leadership. Merit badges are a tool to motivate the scout. Having something fun after doing (most scouts favorite,) Personal Management :-) is fine. Why not make a day of caching along a 10 mile route. Stop once in a while work on a cache find. Hit some of the topics and requirements (before and during) and earn the Geocaching Badge while also knocking off a 10 mile requirement for the Hiking Badge. The older scouts could be helping the newer scouts along the way and I am sure it would be great to do something diferent.

I speak as a family of avid Geocachers (1000+ and almost 90 hides) and active scouts (1st class and Eagle Scout, Cubmaster, Den Leader, Committe member, Summer camp chair, District and Council trainer, Commissioner etc ). Having been involved with training adult leaders I am pretty solid in what I think the BSA Program is about. I think there are so many ways to learn while having fun. There are so many untapped ways to have young men and boys develop leadership. Merit badges are a tool to motivate the scout. Having something fun after doing (most scouts favorite,) Personal Management :-) is fine. Why not make a day of caching along a 10 mile route. Stop once in a while work on a cache find. Hit some of the topics and requirements (before and during) and earn the Geocaching Badge while also knocking off a 10 mile requirement for the Hiking Badge. The older scouts could be helping the newer scouts along the way and I am sure it would be great to do something diferent.