How many caches have you found in one day?

Hick@Heart

My best day was 23. It was on the drive back home to Savannah, GA from Memphis, TN. It turned a normally 9.5 hr drive into 14+hrs, plus I ran out of gas about 3 miles from home (it was LATE on a Sunday night and by the time I realized I wasn't going to make it, all the gas stations along I-16 were closed).

We're not into the long-day numbers runs. I thought that we would have the most caches in one day while in an urban environment. Not so. We had three days in the low- to mid-30s. One was a 20-mile 4wd trip along a ridgeline trail with some great views. Another was on a 70 mile run through the desert from the Arizona border to the Salton Sea. Although we had to air-down the tires, there was little 4 wheeling required. The last was a 5-mile hike along a narrow ridgeline overlooking desert on both sides, down a steep ravine to a date plam oasis where we ate lunch, and then boulder hopping back up a wash that we followed through the desert back to the car.

Not a lot of caches, but great experiences. We just pick an area to cache, and let the chips fall where they may. If we only get 2 all day; that's two more than we had the day before.

An update: At the behest of my sister, who has the misfortune to find the Maine DeLorme Challenge on her

Ten-Mile List, my brother, my friend and I went to Maine to help her with the Challenge. As tour guide, it was my responsibility to make sure that we found the requisite number of pages in a day, and ended up at the right place at night. As long as that was accomplished, my brother had free rein to find as many other caches as we could. We found 22 DeLorme Pages in five days (including a few that were a bit off the beaten path - or any path!). Our totals came out to 30 caches on 6/11, and 121 for the week.

The sad thing is that I do not remember some of those caches! And that takes a lot of the fun out of geocaching! So, my record is 30, and that will probably stand for quite a long time.

Interesting that this topic would come up now. I hit my personal best by doing some power caching with Funky Nassau this week. Left Moncton, NB at around 10:30ish and finished caching around 4pm. Did 43 caches along this route.

That is definitely my personal best. Ya, we didn't get to SEE a lot but we did see plenty while snagging caches.

My best is 26 and to be honest, that day was pretty miserable. Not because of the amount, but because we chose a day that was in the mid-90s, humid and, eventually, two thunderstorms. That made it so we couldn't do several of the ones we really wanted to do because none of us were in the mood to do 1-2 mile hikes in that weather.

That being said, I'm past the initial super-crazy stage of this game (I started in March) and now look more for an area where I can grab a bunch of good ones in a day. With the price of gas, I likely won't go caching without a plan of where I want to go and at least knowing I can grab a handful of them, so I like to try and get 5-6 or more in a trip, unless it's close to me.

I would do the 26 or more in a day if the weather was better. I think we easily would have had a better time if it didn't feel like it was 150 degrees. But I also now realize that going on a 15-hour caching binge is hard to do, so I'll plan better. :D

Found 240 in 24 hours, and enjoyed it very much, signed all the logbooks and remember most all of 'em. I'll be the judge of whether I'm having fun, thank you.

All right, I'm going to call you out on this one and I don't think I'm a jerk for doing so. If you worked alone, that is one cache every six minutes for 24 hours. If they were all 500 feet apart as the geocaching standards mandate, you had to move pretty fast.

How did you do it? All 1/1s in the city?

I thought 240 in 24 hours would be a stretch too until last Saturday... I knew it could be done but how?

The answer is easy! Teamwork, careful planning and a lot of energy. Trailpuppy and I took a run down to the Porterville area in CA and managed to snag our first 200 in just 18 hours. The last 40 took us the remaining 6 hours and I'll tell you, it was tough!

You really have to be in sync with your caching buddy and have a really good sense of humor.

Sleep deprivation showed its ugly head a few times but we always recovered. Was it fun?? Hell yes! We had a blast! Especially once we started getting loopy and all. Will I do it again? I seriously doubt it but if the situation were to arise in the right conditions, I may be game.

Edited by Zop

Most finds in a day: 30 on 6/21/2008; 28 on 3/25/2008; 25 on 1/14/2007

Best weekend caching: 52 finds, on Saturday 6/21/2008 & Sunday 6/22/2008

Best week caching: 77 finds, from Monday 6/16/2008 to Sunday 6/22/2008

Most finds in a calendar month: 190, in Jun 2008

Fastest 100 finds: 8 days from 6/15/2008 to 6/22/2008

I personally can't see 100-200 finds in a day how it's done.. Maybe as a team with multiple people finding and logging, or it's just a high density 1/1 thing, but there are only so many lightpoles around! :)

I personally can't see 100-200 finds in a day how it's done.. Maybe as a team with multiple people finding and logging, or it's just a high density 1/1 thing, but there are only so many lightpoles around! :)

Just two people and yes teamwork but we did it! Granted nothing over a 2x2 and we did pick a town with plenty of caches. Everything from nano's to ammo cans. Even a few bush hangers!

my personal best is 40 at GW6. I met some totally random people and we cached together all day. It was be far the easiest caching EVER there were clumps of folks at every cache. That day was definatly not about numbers, but meeting the folks along the way. It's was a great time!

Someone recently logged a find in one of my caches. They said it was 1 of 31 finds for that day. What is the most number of caches you have found in one day. Not including a bunch of TB's at an event.

Edit to add to the discussion: It seems to me that you couldn't enjoy the trip while hustling to grab that many finds.

Mine was 5 on 29 April 2007 which were the following:

4/29/2007 Easy Cheat Lake Trail Cache West Virginia [visit log]

4/29/2007 The U.S.A. Cache West Virginia [visit log]

4/29/2007 The Evil Black Cache West Virginia [visit log]

4/29/2007 Legend in the Rough West Virginia [visit log]

4/29/2007 Old CCC Camp Revisited West Virginia [visit log]

I found 4 today (5 July 2008), which is the second most in one day, after over a year of forgetting about this hobby and (eek!) the travel bugs that I had collecting dust. I dropped those TBs off today too. But now that I don't have to worry about school hopefully I can get back to caching. I was actually reminded of geocaching in my work's newsletter: the monthly feature on a different employee each month was of a guy who also goes geocaching and then I realized "Oh, crap I still have those travelbugs!" I'm going to try to cache some more now, especially since I have weekends off, but I'll probably try to take a hiatus on picking up TB's for now.

Zach from PA

California University of PA Class of 2008

GIS Technician

ordoinc@gmail.com

it's either 25 or 32, i don't remember. there's a gentleman in my area who has found over 300 in one day. i think that the record is over 500. the record for how many I have found by myself in one day is 17. that was probably in about 5 hours.

Edited by fancypoe

This probably will not count, but here goes --

Last weekend a friend came up from south Florida, and I was the driver while he was the finder. I did not help him find any caches, but did make it easier navigating by knowing about dead ends and one way roads in the downtown area.

In one day we found 112 caches.

OK, now for the answer I think you were looking for -- 27 is the most I have personally found in one day

The longest stretch I have cached for was 5 hours and I got 19. Unfortunately I missed out on some close ones to my route as I forgot to upload them =P

At the moment I like to do a few when I go out as it is so much effort to drive into the city (and of course, the price of petrol). Also with uni it is easier to do a few hours of caching full on than to go out every now and then to get only one.

My personal best was 102 in 24 hours. We could have done a lot better, but we changed plans three times, spent over 5 hours of that driving to and from our eventual caching areas, and several DNFs. It was a blast, caching with that group. And since I don't cut and paste, it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of five days (between work and caching and catching up on sleep) to get the logs typed up.

But I find I enjoy lighter caching trips better. It's a lot more fun hitting in the 30-40 (or less) range, and picking some nicer caches - nice hikes, cool multis, or fun puzzles. But maybe that's just me. Nah, probably not.

Is the Snoogans mobile stuck and waiting for a tow, or moving in this photo ?

LOL, looks like he will soon be stuck if he tries to cross that berm!

I've been there. Getting stuck in the boonies isn't a picnic, let me tell you... :D

I think our best day Purphaze and DeeDee2 made 84 in on day. Now this was the run up yokol valley road and up to 9ers hides ad then to lade sucess and these caches are every 528ft up the road. It is great fun for a day time caching we stARTED at 10am and ended a bout 10pm but you can easily do 151 oon the road. we had alreday been on it once and lcleaned up aobut 50 caches easlily Happy Caching

Currently I have 14 on two different days. That record will break to 15 as soon as I place my "Micro the World Over" hide to be able to log for find #15.

The first 14 find day was over 350 miles, traveling with 4 boys and 1 grammy. We found some really great ones and had a great time! The goal was at least one in each county we drove through and we almost made it - missed by one (I'm coming back for you, Jefferson County!!).

Someday I'd like to go out with my caching buddy and no kids and see what kind of numbers we can log in a more cache-dense area!

:huh:

My limit is 18 in one day. Trying for 20 but everytime my daughter Geoness and I try beating our personal best we end up finding a cache or two where we get interested in the area and start looking around. We enjoy spending time together and the journey of the day takes more importance than the numbers.

-HHH :huh:

Personal best so far was 15 during a Delorme Challenge run from Spokane, WA to Wenatchee, WA. I started driving at about 8 in the morning and reached Wenatchee by 1:00. For most of the caches I didn't need to walk more then 100 yards from where I parked the car to where I found the cache. I could see how in a cache dense area one could easily find over 100 caches in a day. 200+? Maybe, if you were very organized, 300+? thats starting to stretch my believabililty meter. Over 500? I personally don't see this as being possible.

I could see how in a cache dense area one could easily find over 100 caches in a day. 200+? Maybe, if you were very organized, 300+? thats starting to stretch my believabililty meter. Over 500? I personally don't see this as being possible.

I have done +100 finds in a day with several different groups.

I can tell you that finding 295 in 24 hours is possible too; been there, done that. And that was with 42 DNFs. But, that was without always opening the cache and digging out the log sheet... for most of those finds we just initialed the container. Still, having been on a couple such runs I truly believe that 300 found and properly signed is entirely possible by anyone willing to put forth the time, money and effort.

To me 400 would be an amazing feat.

500? I don't see how it could ever be done, at least not under what are commonly understood to be the 'rules' for such a run today.

8 in one day. I have a string of 58 planned for when my ankle heals up and some of the critters die around here (hate spiders and mosquitoes), so hopefully I will be back to this thread with a positive story. This will be my first huge push and I think I have found enough caches to have some success with this.