How many caches have you found in one day?

Hick@Heart

Martianrabbit and I found 151 in a 24-hour period last year. Did we have fun? Yes, at least for the 1st 18 hours. After that it became more of a chore as we grew more and more tired. Being tired also made us sloppy and our DNF rate increased sharply. It took us 48 hours to recover from this little sleep-deprivation adventure, and I don't think we'll ever try to do this again.

A few years ago someone started a thread with a list of peple that had the most finds in one day. At that time I was #10 on the list with 26 finds. Cache density wasn't the same as today. We started at 6 am and found our last 3 caches by flashlight finishin at 10 pm. We drove a total of 250 miles to find all these caches, and of all the finds I only remember 1 film canister. All the others were full size caches. I have found more caches in one day since then, but cache density makes it way easier. I also find it hard to do good logs if I do so many. The finds all run together.

Someone recently logged a find in one of my caches. They said it was 1 of 31 finds for that day. What is the most number of caches you have found in one day. Not including a bunch of TB's at an event.

Edit to add to the discussion: It seems to me that you couldn't enjoy the trip while hustling to grab that many finds.

The best I've been able to get away with is 76. I was game for more but my caching buddy was just plain worn out!

As for fun, It sure can be - especially if you feed off each other's enthusiasm.

Even funner if you can remember each cache during the logging and bait for comments..

Yea, I was tired for sure. But I got 2 more than him! 78 total for the day.

Some guy claimed he had found 30 in one day. I find that very possible. It's when people find 200 in a day that it seems impossible. How do they remember all 200 to log online after they found them???

Old fashioned way: Pen and paper.

New fashioned way: The person in the backseat with the computer marks them found on the map after each is found.

Other new fashioned way: The finder marks them found in his or her GPS or PDA.

Edited by carleenp

Some guy claimed he had found 30 in one day. I find that very possible. It's when people find 200 in a day that it seems impossible. How do they remember all 200 to log online after they found them???

You can't possibly be serious. Someone puts out the effort and planning to do something like this and you think that it is bogus because they aren't going to be able to figure out how to record the finds? How about wondering if it is realistically physically possible first? I can for sure tell you, if I was to go out for a numbers run, figuring out how to "remember" them for later logging would be the least of my worries.

You might want to know some minor detail like did one single person, in one single vehicle, using zero other people for assistance or support do this in a 24hr. period. You also might want to know if and what types of "tools" or preparatory steps that they took. How they signed the log books. You know practicle things like that might affect the speed at which you could accomplish such a feat of wonder.

How did they "remember" to retain enough info to do an online log? Not too significant.

I mean it becomes fairly obvious when you see things like this: "Martianrabbit and I found 151 in a 24-hour period last year." And then someone tries to give the impression that they did 50 or 70 more all by them little selves, without breaking a sweat. Everyone just has to judge for themselves in this regard.

And of course in the end, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Edited by Team Cotati

I use a program on my pda called cache log book. It makes it easy to very quickly document the date, time, cache ID, log type, and any notes that I need to take to include in my online log.

You can't possibly be serious. Someone puts out the effort and planning to do something like this and you think that it is bogus because they aren't going to be able to figure out how to record the finds? How about wondering if it is realistically physically possible first? ...

Of course it's possible. It's been done.

That's like asking if it's really possible to fly faster than the speed of sound or that man can go to the moon.

You can't possibly be serious. Someone puts out the effort and planning to do something like this and you think that it is bogus because they aren't going to be able to figure out how to record the finds? How about wondering if it is realistically physically possible first? ...

That's like asking if it's really possible to fly faster than the speed of sound or that man can go to the moon.

And of course in the end, it really doesn't matter, does it? :huh::anibad::)

And of course in the end, it really doesn't matter, does it? :huh::anibad::)

Sure it does. It matters to the cachers who did it, the cachers who would like to do it, and the OP who asked about it.

The best I've done from a 12AM - 11:59PM day was 121, and that was going with people from 7AM - 11PM, stopping for an hour lunch and hour dinner during that time. Very rarely can I get with people to do a true through the night run. And I've done several 100+ days, both solo and with others.

When I began geocaching, my normal Saturday was 32 caches of all different types. Now, it's about 35-55. My weekly average is around 56 (found 5K in 21 months, an average of 4.25 weeks in a month).

I believe someone questioned how a person can remember every cache? I'd like to comment on that as well.

I jot notes into my PDA. The following is an excerpt from the spreadsheet I kept when I did 402 caches in four days:

4966 GCxxx 3:11 PM below boardwalk, I spent time retrieving

4967 GCxxx 3:17 PM another boardwalk, great picture of M

4968 GCxxx 3:20 PM boardwalk hand rail

4969 GCxxx 3:30 PM bush by Monte Carlo car

So I write the cache number, GC, time, and notes. I will only log a day's caches in order, a strict rule, and that helps me step through the day and create my final logs. For brevity, here are the logs for only the first two on the list. They were identical hides, too.

3:11 PM - w/CHN: Tigerz and Geo13

We weren't going to bypass this heart no matter how difficult it was. The previous log mentioned the cache was not retrievable. No, it wasn't really retrievable. Not unless you was as inventive as I was and desperate as we were to clear as many caches.

What did I use? For starters, I had to let my teammates hold my coat and I had to take my cell phone from my jeans pocket. Next, I took out my retrieval tool: my mechanical pencil. Flip, grab, slip. Drat. Wrong side. Flip, grab, slide out. Great! My elbow and wrist couldn't bend any further.

When I replaced the cache, I made sure others could get to it without resorting to what I had to do.

3:17 PM - w/CHN: Tigerz and Geo13

This was the same type of cache as before, but I didn't have to spend time retrieving it this time.

Tigerz took some pictures of the beach and we took pictures of each of us taking a picture. I also got a really good picture of him.

So it's not impossible to do a slew of caches and write unique logs. If someone is going to put out and maintain a cache--even under a light pole skirt--I'm going to write a unique log for it. There's plenty to be said for any type of hide.

And of course in the end, it really doesn't matter, does it? :anibad::unsure::unsure:

Sure it does. It matters to the cachers who did it, the cachers who would like to do it, and the OP who asked about it.

Say there OP: Is that correct? Are you glad that you asked?

So far our best day was 23 that took us on a beautiful loop that included the first cache placed in Canada, the Swissair Memorial and some great old ruins. The first was planned, the other 2 were part of the highlights of the day. We hope to break that record one day, that month was also our best month (141 found, previous was 52 in 1 month), still, it was our geocaching that brought us to interesting places and sites again during vacation that we would have missed.

On the new Garmin GPSr's, as you go through your caching day hitting the found key every time you find a cache, it records the find in the calender. So when you sit down in front of your computer to log your finds you have your GPSr right there, click on the calendar application and the date of your cache run, and BINGO, all the caches you found that day are listed in the order they were found. Works for me!

I have to say with all honesty. All of them. :unsure:

Yes, Each and every cache that I've found in a day I have found in a day, well actually some were at night too.

Now if you want numbers, I don't know off hand and don't think it's that important. Well actually somewhere in my profile I do have a number that's not really up to date but the correct number is not so different.

30 in day, but finding 30 is easy if you pick the correct area to go caching.

With all the caches that are now in place finding a large number in a day is easy to do. It can be done now with drive ups caches.

Three years ago finding a large number of caches in one day was very hard to do, then you would have to walk more than 10 feet from your car to get to the cache.

And of course in the end, it really doesn't matter, does it? :bad::rolleyes::bad:

Say there OP: Is that correct? Are you glad that you asked?

Am I the OP? If so, then yes.

I was very curious how the power cachers get such big numbers so I went out with three people who had almost 30,000 finds between them. They were ORGANIZED. They knew the EXACT route from cache to cache. They even had the potty break locations marked on the maps. They knew exactly after which find they would take a break for lunch.

The numbers where only 40 for the day I was with the group. The first reason was we traveled about 1 1/2 to 2 miles between each find because the group had already found most the area's caches the year before so we skipped 5 or 6 caches just to go on to the next totally unfound cache.

Not one person used a PDA and this was amazing to me. The work was done the night before and printed out on a master sheet, with each person getting a copy. On the master sheet was everything we needed to know as per coords, size, diff, container type and past logs.

After we found a cache, labels were out immediately and off we went. Garmin maps were used to head us to the next hide. The gentlemen riding shotgun also was using his Garmin with maps to just double check the direction and maybe throw in his two cents about maybe a better avenue for the next find.

Everything was reported in a professional manner. If the log was wet, it was noted. If the container leaked we noted. Each and every find was given it's own report, not just a copy and paste.

We averaged about 7 finds per hour. The total could have gone up to 8 to 9 an hour if as mentioned we didn't travel so far in between finds.

Also, it didn't take long to find the hides. Remember this group had seen it all. We were all using the 7 minute rule. Gone in 7 minutes regardless. We had 1 DNF for the day as we reported, but there had been 4 DNF's on the same hide before we arrived.

Finally, we did have FUN. I enjoyed the group. I still remember each and every find. Detail after detail.

Three days ago I seen pretty much the same group at a Convergence and asked how they did.......75 for the day. They never set there GPS's to nearest. They already know the next, and next, and next, and next.

Martianrabbit and I found 151 in a 24-hour period last year. Did we have fun? Yes, at least for the 1st 18 hours. After that it became more of a chore as we grew more and more tired. Being tired also made us sloppy and our DNF rate increased sharply. It took us 48 hours to recover from this little sleep-deprivation adventure, and I don't think we'll ever try to do this again.

Never say never, Right TP?

101 in 8 hours. And that doesn't include stopping and eating lunch. Would I do it again. Probably not. I like to write a few lines on every cache If I can to thank the owner for placing and maintaincing the cache. So I try and give them a enjoyable log to read. And that many in one day really threw me off. I got home and really didn't even want to log them.

The logs from that day got very very short but I still didn't C&P one log.

101 in 8 hours. And that doesn't include stopping and eating lunch. Would I do it again. Probably not. I like to write a few lines on every cache If I can to thank the owner for placing and maintaincing the cache. So I try and give them a enjoyable log to read. And that many in one day really threw me off. I got home and really didn't even want to log them.

The logs from that day got very very short but I still didn't C&P one log.

I know exactly how you felt. I also did 101 in one day. I probably will never do that again either because it was real and it was fun but it wasn't real fun... ;)

you guys have way too much time on your hands!!! Just kidding. I'd love to have a stretch of time (by myself and a buddy) so I can do more than 14 or so!

Ditto. On fathers day I broke my old record of 15, getting 22 caches for the day. It was also the longest period of uninterrupted caching time that I had ever done. I left the house at around 7:30am and was back home at 3:00pm. I'm sure that I could have done a lot more if I would have planned better but I was just happy to be out caching for more than an hour or so at a time. It also didn't help that the first cache that I searched for was 15 miles away (and all the rest further from home) and that I DNFd on my first four searches.

We have found 12 a few times. After that they just become a blur. The time spent on more really defeats the purpose why the placer has put them there and is sort of an insult to them. OK, those were the good old days before the spewage. We pretty much stick to non urban hides where it still holds true though.tigrou_bis.gif

I did 125 in a 24hr period which is a cache every 11.52 minutes. Some were P&G and some involved short hikes. I remember every single one of them.

The best part was spending 24 crazy hours zooming around with my favorite caching partners just to see what we could knock out if we realy wanted to. I could hardly move at the end from exhaustion.

Two weekends ago my father-in-law and I did 111 caches in 19 hours which is one every 10.27 minutes. Again, it was a hoot and exhausting.

You all need to speed it up a bit. ;)

We did 51 in 2 and a half hours on Sunday. We finished our 5 and a half hour morning with 101 finds, and zero DNF's..... and stopped for a nice restaurant lunch.

The week before we were in a speed caching contest and found 21 caches in 48 minutes.

Lessons available for a fee..... :)

Never say never, Right TP?

I had a feeling that was coming!

Someone recently logged a find in one of my caches. They said it was 1 of 31 finds for that day. What is the most number of caches you have found in one day. Not including a bunch of TB's at an event.

Edit to add to the discussion: It seems to me that you couldn't enjoy the trip while hustling to grab that many finds.

For myself, it was seven or eight caches in one day (caching along the ID/WY border with my friend Greta), while for Sue, her peak caches-per-day count is somewhere between 78 and 128 (my memory is foggy on this one, as I do not pay much attention to such things), as she sometimes goes on all-day caching outings with our friend Lynn, CCCooperAgency. I know other cachers who have found many hundreds of caches in one day.

Our best day was 118 and it was insane. It was part of a 3 day weekend that totalled 270ish. It was fun because we were with friends and our kids, but it took a long time to get caught up on logging because I personally don't choose to cut and paste...for my account. For my kids....that's another story. We used the good old fashioned pen and paper to log GC#s and notes as we went but at some points it got so short between caches that we missed some. Eventually, we got the PDA, GPS, and paper log reconciled. It was fun, but I think that personal record for me will have to stand for a while.