dvd trading cache

boogletduo

there was a cache near me called the "dvd trading cache" (GC11Q2K) here in knoxville, TN. looking at the log, it appears that somebody came and found it as their first and (at this time) only cache, then it dissapeared ...

I'd like to do a similar cache, but out of concern for muggles, was wondering if it would get me burned if I put copied dvd's in there instead of originals. I would not be profiting from it, obviously, but it's a real grey zone. I've thought about (after I get my dues paid) making it a members only, or making it part of a puzzle or multi.

anybody got any experience with this, or advice??? I miss the days when people actually traded up or even, and enjoy finding something fun or useful in a cache once in a while, and would like to make a contribution to that effort ... (I started my first acct in 2003, went to iraq, and when I got back, I forgot my username/login, no longer had the email addy I'd created it with, and all of the caches I could actually remember the loc of & tried to find on google earth seem to have been archived long enough ago that they're not even there ... I'm going to do a separate posting to try to figure out my old username ...)

twas wondering if it would get me burned if I put copied dvd's in there instead of originals. I would not be profiting from it, obviously, but it's a real grey zone.

I don't see a Grey Zone anywhere, it's a RED ZONE, as In, Illegal, like the other poster said. You get caught, you get burned, it's not worth it.

ok I figured that would kinda be the case, now the question I have is: does anybody know of any ways that it's been done that have resulted in a cache of this type lasting a while & not getting muggled or stolen because some new cacher doesn't know enough to rehide stuff/watch out for muggles/whatever, or from somebody that's not been geocaching long enough to really appreciate it (and thereby be, hopefully, less likely to just raid a cache)???

I like the idea the other guys have, but I can see another cache like it being muggled again, too soon ...

Edited by boogletduo

twas wondering if it would get me burned if I put copied dvd's in there instead of originals. I would not be profiting from it, obviously, but it's a real grey zone.

I don't see a Grey Zone anywhere, it's a RED ZONE, as In, Illegal, like the other poster said. You get caught, you get burned, it's not worth it.

just for the record - I don't care what zone you want to put something into, or whether it is legal or not (I mean I do, but that wasn't really part of the original question), so much as what GC thinks of it. since a moderator already replied and told me that Groundspeak frowns on it, that's enough for me. I happen to enjoy geocaching, and am perfectly capable of figuring out that if a mod says "proooobably not a good idea ..." or something to that nature, that going ahead with said activity anyway might just result in me never getting to participate in my favorite activity again (and I"m not just saying it to be fecetious, they can do ip traces, etc ...). no, really all I wanted was to figure out the best way to make a cache with dvd's in it happen without it getting ruined for the cachers I place it for, nor without running me into the ground trying to keep it stocked.

this probably has not come out the way I meant for it to, as I've had major lack of sleep here for a while ...