good backpack for day hikes ?

jonslater

I have a Montainsmith Approach II, which isn't in production anymore, but the Approach 3.0 appears to be its successor:

http://mountainsmith.com/products.asp?prod...ubCategory2Id=1

I love that I can compress mine every which way, have room for extra clothes, fit in an ammo box, adjust the waist belt as the load changes, put a 2 liter water bottle in the inner sleeve, etc. I don't use it when I'm only going on short jogs, but for an all-day hike it's on my back.

There was a thread on the Approach last fall in this catagory. It's on sale at Campmor for 49.95, at least it was this weekend. I plan to order one today. I didn't want one that big, but it will give me more options, for instance, plenty of room for a coat, extra layers.. And I believe it will be ok for overnighters as well.

I love my Camelbak Commander:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mberId=12500226

67689_cam.jpg

This is the larger of this "class" of Camelbak packes. There are 3 smaller sizes Check them out here:

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

Under "Sports/Recreation" - "Hydration Packs" - "Hunting"

That looks like a perfect backpack for me! Maybe the smaller camelbak Ranger.

I live in the UK and it looks like this is a US only product. will have to find a store that will ship to the UK.

Thanks for the advice

Edited by jonslater

There was a thread on the Approach last fall in this catagory. ... I plan to order one today. I didn't want one that big, but it will give me more options, for instance, plenty of room for a coat, extra layers.. And I believe it will be ok for overnighters as well.

One of the things I like about my Approach II is that I can compress it down with the built-in compression straps so it's rather flat. Conversely it can be expanded to allow me to carry loads of stuff when necessary -- the waist belt is really a shoulder-saver when carrying lots of stuff.

If you are looking for something a little lighter, the GG Wisp is a really nice pack. The shoulder straps and waist belt are really comfortable for loads up to 20 pounds and the pack only weighs 1.5 pounds. I bought the Wisp because it was the only day pack that I could find that fit a long torso... if you are tall watch out for this because you'll never be comfortable wearing the waist belt if the pack is too short (and this is a common problem with day packs).

If you are looking for something a little lighter, the GG Wisp is a really nice pack. The shoulder straps and waist belt are really comfortable for loads up to 20 pounds and the pack only weighs 1.5 pounds. I bought the Wisp because it was the only day pack that I could find that fit a long torso... if you are tall watch out for this because you'll never be comfortable wearing the waist belt if the pack is too short (and this is a common problem with day packs).

Good point. I'm 6'3", I'm wondering how the Approach will work out. Any thoughts, owners?

Good point. I'm 6'3", I'm wondering how the Approach will work out. Any thoughts, owners?

I also own the Mountainsmith Approach 3.0. It is still on sale at Campmor and runs $49.97, you can't beat that price for a quality pack. It was highly recommended by Briansnat and have not been disappointed of my purchase. I am 6' and it fits perfect, however you are 3 inches taller than me. This medium size pack has allot of cool features and storage pockets. I especially like the giant clam shell pocket for stuffing in a jacket or rain gear. The clam shell pocket also holds an ammo can quite nicely. It also has an internal bladder holder in which I placed a 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle. I like the unbottle because it is insulated and keeps your fluids cold, and I can transfer it to my larger overnight pack. Overall the Approach is perfect for my needs for geocaching and day hikes in the hills. It is lightweight and comfortable, and well constructed. :blink:

Kelty Redwing 3100

I've had great results with this pack. It has the benefits of a great hiking day pack combined with book pack features. In a pinch, you can go two days with it in mild weather (no tent).

The pack's volume provides for carrying day hike cargo and two options for hydration (water bottles on both sides and hydration sleeve for a bladder). I still prefer Nalgene bottles, so I've not used the bladder sleeve feature, but it's pretty simple and works like a Camel bag. I typically carry two one liter bottles, one in each mesh side pocket. The mesh side pockets have elastic in the top to hold bottles firmly, yet allows you to slip the bottle out and in without removal of the pack.

The book pack features provide organizational elements such as outside pockets with inner pockets that allow you to keep things like pens, note pads, wallets, car keys, maps, GPS, compass, and the like in organized and easy to access pockets. I really value this feature after using a one cell day pack for the last 15 years (which required digging for everything!).

Here's what Kelty says about it...

Size: 3100

Torso Fit Range: 18.5 - 21" / 47 - 53 cm

SKU #: 22060012, 22060013, 22060014

MSRP: $100.00 (I purchased mine for $65 on sale).

Usage: Trail

Suspension: Internal

Specifications:

Volume: 3100 in3 / 50.81 liters

Weight: 3 lb. 6 oz. / 1.5 kg

Dimensions:

Length: 25.5" / 65 cm

Width: 16" / 41 cm

Height: 14 / 36 cm

Materials:

Body Fabric: 420D nylon micro ripstop

Reinforcement Fabric: 600D polyester kodra and 500D nylon kodra

Packbag Features:

Front-panel loading

Zippered side pockets

Large front pocket with organization

Security pocket

Daisy chain

Lash tabs

Zippered stash pocket

Side compression straps

Fleece-lined optics pocket

Mesh water-bottle pockets

Ice-axe loop

Hydration-compatible

Reservoir sleeve

Suspension Features:

Single LightBeam™ aluminum stay

Breathable Airmesh waistbelt

Removable, stowable waistbelt

Belt stabilizers

Scherer Cinch™ (US Pat #5,465,886)

Padded backpanel

Padded shoulder straps

Breathable backpanel and shoulder straps

Sternum strap

Removable, stowable waistbelt

I'll second camelbak alpine explorer as a regular day hike pack.

Its a great pack, though I wish it would be a little bigger. Though I do tend to over pack / prepare when I go on my hikes, so it should be big enough for most people's needs.

Until this thread I've never seen those hunting style camelbaks, those might be worth looking into they look a little bigger then the apline explorer.

oh..and I'm only 5'4 / 128 ...so can we start a little guy's club too?

Edited by Limhi

2654.jpg

This is what I have been using. I had a MULE to start with, but it is too small, IMO.

The Alpine Explorer has plenty of room with 1862 cubic inches, and a three liter bladder.

That is exactly what I did. I rarely use the MULE anymore, because the Explorer is what I upgraded to. I've thrown the 100 oz bladder inside the main pouch (on the bottom), for a total of 170 oz. On one 13.5 mile hike I carried two water bottles, and the two water bladders (210 ounces total). My only gripe with the Explorist is the poor padding in shoulder area. When carrying as much water as I did, those straps really dug into my traps. No amount of adjustments (including the waste strap) made the pack very comfortable.