Website soooo Slow

customconcern

I know this has been brought up in other topics but I just wanted to find out if anything is being done to fix how slow the website is. I wanted to go cacheing today and attempted to find caches last evening but was unable to because I couldnt get into the website. I tried this morning and I got into the website but it is so slow (3-4 minutes) to get into and individual cache page that its not even worth it. I dont know if the servers are just overloaded but wanted to know if others are having the same problem if it will be fixed soon. :blink:

Would somebody go re-boot the lilly pad. After having problems with the site last night I thought it would be fixed by now. Not, If they are working on a problem then a note here in the forums under general announcements or somthing would at least let all of us know they are aware and are trying to fix it

As I mentioned above about the other forum topic, the second post is from a Groundspeak person stating that they are aware of the problem and working on it.

Personally, I would rather they fix the problem then take the time to come here and tell everyone that that they are working on it.

Give them a chance to get it fixed. I am sure it will back up and running as soon as they can get it going. These things take time.

Craig

C&S 143

I have been a lurker on here for some time but now I feel compelled to finally post. I have been trying to get a list of caches together for today since yesterday... YESTERDAY! Several of us pay for "Premium Memberships" but yet we are not able to access the site. This is completely unacceptable! Why would you sell memberships if you cant maintain the site???

Either upgrade the site and deal with the problems or myself and probably several others will be fleeing your overcrowded sinking ship...

Personally, I would rather they fix the problem then take the time to come here and tell everyone that that they are working on it.

Hehe...I've done that to people at work when I am working on server issues.

User: Are you working on fixing the problem?

Me: No.

User: Why not?

Me: Because I am wasting my time giving you a status update.

I've heard similar such excuses made for poor business practices in the past. But in all honesty, it's a straw argument. The folks FIXING the problems are rarely the ones who are REPORTING/COMMUNICATING about the problems. Most business do have more than one or two people working for them. Therefore the act of reporting/communicating isn't detracting from the act of fixing.

MrW.

I have too. Users hate that. :blink:

But it is true. If I had to answer every phone call about why server x is down, it would take 5 times as long to get it back up. When something stops working, I stop answering the phone to work on the problem.

Craig

C&S 143

Several of us pay for "Premium Memberships"

$0.08 a day. And will you be expecting a refund on this?

If I'm not mistaken, your "premium membership" entitles you to specific features and access that normal users don't have.

Ability to access member only caches, ability to run pocket queries.

Yes it does kinda suck that this happened, and even more so that it happened on a weekend.

If you are a paying member, make use of that 8 cents a day you are paying, and run some pocket queries on the area you wish to cache in.

I don't like the fact that I can't get to the /my features, but I'm certainly not going to "flee the overcrowded sinking ship" as you call it.

In fact, I'm tempted to push some people overboard, just so the rest of us can have more fun on the ship, while we ride out the storm, and enjoy the waves.

I've heard similar such excuses made for poor business practices in the past. But in all honesty, it's a straw argument. The folks FIXING the problems are rarely the ones who are REPORTING/COMMUNICATING about the problems. Most business do have more than one or two people working for them. Therefore the act of reporting/communicating isn't detracting from the act of fixing.

MrW.

That's true in some cases. However, the ones REPORTING/COMMUNICATING about the problems have to get their information from the ones FIXING it. I work in the IT industry. When those who are the front line of communication stop me to get a status update, they stop me from working the problem just like someone who is a general user.

Craig

C&S 143

I have been a lurker on here for some time but now I feel compelled to finally post. I have been trying to get a list of caches together for today since yesterday... YESTERDAY! Several of us pay for "Premium Memberships" but yet we are not able to access the site. This is completely unacceptable! Why would you sell memberships if you cant maintain the site???

Either upgrade the site and deal with the problems or myself and probably several others will be fleeing your overcrowded sinking ship...

Oh get a life! This is not something about life and death!!!! Yes we pay a little bit... but compared to a lot of other things in real life and on the internet this is cheap... here in Denmark it's a sunny but cold day... do as we did... give your gps a day off and take a walk hand in hand with the one you love and remember that there is other things in life. :blink:

As written somewhere else there is no where written that paying for PM mens that you have 24/7 acces til the site... down-time can be expected for all sites.

MrW.

That's true in some cases. However, the ones REPORTING/COMMUNICATING about the problems have to get their information from the ones FIXING it. I work in the IT industry. When those who are the front line of communication stop me to get a status update, they stop me from working the problem just like someone who is a general user.

Craig

C&S 143

Then is sounds like you really need to work on your lines of communication (as does Groundspeak). You learn that kind of stuff in Business 101.

MrW.

Bluntly, don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out.

It's a small company, with a website devoted to a GAME!

GEEEZE! If your new $30,000 car started acting up in the middle of a Saturday night, would you consider it unacceptable that the dealership didn't call in it's mechanics at midnight to fix you right up?

Would you find it unacceptable if the stove in your new $300,000 home stopped working and the builder didn't rush right out at 4am Sunday morning to fix it?

Yet it's unacceptable to you that some of the services you pay 8 cents a day for to help you play a GAME are not working to your satisfaction overnight on a weekend? A site that hasn't had any real downtime or slowdowns in months?

If so, you need more help then fixing a website can provide.

Edited by Mopar

I have been a lurker on here for some time but now I feel compelled to finally post. I have been trying to get a list of caches together for today since yesterday...

<snip>

Can you say Pocket Queries and GSAK. :blink:

It is raining here, but if the weather was nice, I could choose from any one of more than 3000 caches in my GSAK databases to use as a centerpoint for a caching adventure. :blink:

This is completely unacceptable! Why would you sell memberships if you cant maintain the site???

If you want guaranteed 7x24 uptime, with the servers and bandwidth and staff to support that, you are talking subscription prices in the range of $300/year, not $30/year.

If you are willing to pay for that service, then enter a suggestion. My guess is that most users will prefer to accept an occasional outage.

Or you could just upgrade to Platinum, but we aren't allowed to talk about that.

Edward

Bluntly, don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out.

It's a small company, with a website devoted to a GAME!

GEEEZE! If your new $30,000 car started acting up in the middle of a Saturday night, would you consider it unacceptable that the dealership didn't call in it's mechanics at midnight to fix you right up?

Would you find it unacceptable if the stove in your new $300,000 home stopped working and the builder didn't rush right out at 4am Sunday morning to fix it?

Yet it's unacceptable to you that some of the services you pay 8 cents a day for to help you play a GAME are not working to your satisfaction overnight on a weekend? A site that hasn't had any real downtime or slowdowns in months?

If so, you need more help then fixing a website can provide.

Yeah, it's taking me quite a while to log a really terrific benchmark find that required a 54 mile roundtrip snowmobile run yesterday to achieve. I'm feeding dogs & working on household chores in between photo uploads. And yeah, I agree with Mopar 110%... Be mellow... be patient... put yourself in the shoes of the guy you pay $.08 a day to for services... they're working hard to get the issue resolved, and have a better track record of performance on their end of the geocaching game than I have on mine.

I have not been able to get in all morning, I keep getting an error screen. You see what happens. Numero Uno goes to San Jose for an event to promote wereIgo with the folks from Garmin and the web site goes wacky.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait to log the I attended a very nice event yesterday.

Please consider this.......

Road construction causes motorists inconvience because of the lane closers, the increased traffic jams, and the all around hectic atmosphere to drive in. In the end though, the long wait is worth it and driving in the area where their once was construction is smooth sailing!

Geocaching.com is under construction....though at times their are no visable signs of it. The truth is, we are experiencing lane closers, increased traffic jams, and the all around hectic experience to surf the website. With patience on our part, and gratitude toward the people who are spending LONG hours of their time to make this website a better one for us to use....the long wait will be well worth it, and the experience of using geocaching.com will be AMAZING!

The bottom line is.....patience and gratitude!

This is completely unacceptable! Why would you sell memberships if you cant maintain the site???

If you want guaranteed 7x24 uptime, with the servers and bandwidth and staff to support that, you are talking subscription prices in the range of $300/year, not $30/year.

If you are willing to pay for that service, then enter a suggestion. My guess is that most users will prefer to accept an occasional outage.

Or you could just upgrade to Platinum, but we aren't allowed to talk about that.

Edward

Is that calculation linear?

So as last night as I posted in the other thread. The only page that is not working for me is my account page at http://www.geocaching.com/my and what its doing is hijacking me to the error page to a different address at http://www.geocaching.com/error/general.aspx, disabling my ability to use the F5 key. I am considering sending in a support ticket over this new site problem as If I get this page while submitting something my browser would automatically bring up that error page even if its working because, one it changed the address to directly the error page and not the page I needed, and two my browser has a screwy cache (Temporary Internet Files) system.

Anyway as I siad in the other thread that is the only page that issn't working for me and to me right now I am not having slow site problems anywhere else. Anyway these were still working that were posted in the other thread:

Here's a bunch of links all in one place - they are loading VERY slowly though. Some may be already accessible from the main geocaching screen, but it's nice to have them all in one place:

Pocket Queries