When is the right time to Archive?

Megaben

Whats your opinion??

In my area I have quit a couple of caches that havent been found for at least 6 months. We do have a couple of cachers in the area but all has found it and maby once a year a lost cacher would thenget lost and find it again.

What would you guys think would be a reasonable time to archive some caches so that we could replace some new ones. Sometimes I feel like some are becoming geolitter and could be better off generating some new ones.

Advice please

Hello Megaben.

I also live in an area that is not visited too often. (Maybe a bit more than yours.) My opinion of those out-of-the-way caches. If they are not getting in anyones way, leave them. The more caches in your area, the more likely that people will go out of their way to find them. Sure you have to check up on them from time to time, just to make sure they are still there. You don't want someone coming all that way just for a DNF. That's my opinion.

Hey, Megaben from what i can see you are wanting to archive a cache just because it has not been found in a while?

I don't think that is considered common practise at all.

The only time caches should really be archived (in my opinion) is if you have replaced them so many times they are not worth the hassle, or if the area becomes innaccessable or dangerous for some reason, or if all the logs seem to think its a really shoddy cache!

Otherwise the cache can just stay where it is. Someone is bound to rock up sooner or later. :ph34r:

My opinion is this; if you are not happy with a cache you placed, remove the cache and archive it. If it is a worthwhile cache, then leave it.

Currently we have 4 caches that is not regularly visited (technically the one still needs a FTF, but we couldn't get to it on account of the rains washing the roads away in December and now the NOLY event occupies all our weekends, so we'll fix it the 2nd weekend in March), but these 4 caches is really worth visiting and thus, although they have very little finds on them (far out and in the middle of nowhere), I am more than happy to keep them as well as maintain them because I believe they are worth the time and effort. Mine as well as any cacher going out to find them.

Thanks guys,

Your opinion counts a lot. At least I have an idea of what I will do. There is some really great caches in the area and it would really be a waste to simply get rid of it.

Does anyone know which cache was placed the longest before it was found?? should be some interesting reading

Thanks guys,

Your opinion counts a lot. At least I have an idea of what I will do. There is some really great caches in the area and it would really be a waste to simply get rid of it.

Does anyone know which cache was placed the longest before it was found?? should be some interesting reading

Rhino & Hedgehog and I too a hike up to Rainbow Gourge (GCR6RA) it was placed 30 Oct 2005 and we found it 9 Sep 2007. Batsgonemad was with us curious to see if it was still there and maybe even remove it. We convinced him otherwise and it stays in this beautiful spot. Probably one of the best short (!) hikes in the berg. There is another one one of his in the same area that has not been found yet. This one was placed 28th Oct 2005 by Bats - Mikes Pass (GCR6R9). From there you can find a few more in the area that have not yet been found or visited ages ago:

29 Feb 04 The Amphitheatre’s Crack (Drankensburg) by marcellomaestro (GCHV1Y) - Not found...

13 Apr 03 Just Climb It by GeoRacer (GCF9FC) last found 11 Dec 04

16 Dec 04 Ka-Langalibalele by Lynton and Barend (GCNCDD) - Not Found

29 Apr 07 Twins Peak by Adventure King (GC12TZ8) - Not Found

29 Apr 07 MITRE by Adventure King (GC12TZN) - Not Found

Others:

12 Nov 06 Imbabala by hawkdown (GCZC79) - Not found....

31 Oct 04 All the way down Moorfield by Africard (GCKZ2P) - Last found 17 Apr 05. This is currently my closest unfound cache. But it is in a difficult spot. I chatted with the owner a few weeks after a DNF on the cache and his explanation put me within about 1 to 2 meters of the cache. But my GPS had me looking in a 30 or so meter radius of the actual spot. But with all the rain it would make this one even harder to do now. But if anyone is keen on this one. Let me know, I will like to attempt it again.

Or how's this for finds... 24 Jul 02 Bivane Dam by hosta (GC7551) just check on the earlier logs... It came to life again in the last few months of 2007. But was last found in 2004 and before that in 2002. I took the Space pen from the cache left there by TV&M and after almost 5 years it still writes. The cache container is an old tin coffee can. Well rusted but the contents are dry. Amazing, and at one of the best kept secret camping resorts out there.