Forum Moderation - Is it flawed?

Lactodorum

I can't restrain my sarcasm, so I'm just posting a link to an extremely detailed FAQ, linked from the "Getting Started" forum

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

Ummmmmm :blink:

rutson (small r, correctly spelling :blink: ) - You do realise that if every Forum user went and checked those FAQs in your link, we'd probably only get about one new thread a month on here, because everything else would be answered? :D:D:cool:

MrsB

The only limitation I've found with the search facilty on this this forum is that you can't search for words of less than three characters. Apart from that, it's the standard Invision Power Board search engine that I struggle to fault.

Are there specific issues you are having?

Is forum moderation flawed? Certainly not. Our three moderators/reviewers do an excellent job both in exercising a light touch in moderating and sensible judgement in reviewing. They will know that I don't always agree with some of their decisions but that's why they're reviewing and not me. I'm sure the outcome of their work is much more positive for the hobby than mine would be.

The dramatic increase in cache/cacher numbers must mean that the moderators/reviewers have much more work to do than they did. It can be no coincidence that they haven't done much caching themselves. These statistics on last cache found should speak for themselves:

DaveD: Sep 07

Peter: mid-Jan

DaveP: early Jan

Of course, there may be other reasons for this but we should be grateful that the moderators give up so much of their time in furtherance of the hobby.

I too saw the post which closed the thread and I thought it was amusing that Peter said "I trust this is caching related", while the very next post from Dave closed it for being off-topic :ph34r:. I didn't see this as a conflict between moderators. When there's more than one moderator there are bound to be minor differences of opinion or point of view. Let's be honest, the thread was entitled "totally off-topic". It can't have been a surprise that it was closed.

On another point raised in this thread, I can understand why UK cachers prefer to post general caching questions in this forum rather than in the general ones. Most posts from non-Americans in the other forums receive unhelpful, sarcastic or critical replies. Such comments, which have led to new and even experienced cachers leaving the forum and even the hobby in disgust at the tone, are thankfully mostly absent from this forum. There's a reason why the UK forum is among the most popular on Groundspeak.

snip............... then you asked if the topic was Geocaching related to which Wendy replied "absolutely sir" then Deci closed the thread, ..................snip

Not quite the correct order Mandy. Peter asked if it was caching related, almost at the same time (1 minute difference, suggesting that Dave was posting at the same time Peter was) the thread was closed. Wendy's comment saying absolutely sir did not appear until 1 hour and 31 minutes later, after the thread was re-opened.

I think Dave's closing comments should have been left and Peter should have posted a note with a short explanation on why it was re-opened. But hindsight is wonderful.

I can't restrain my sarcasm, so I'm just posting a link to an extremely detailed FAQ, linked from the "Getting Started" forum

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749

Just pointing out that this very topic was discussed quite recently... Here

I just did a search for FAQ :ph34r::)

I couldn't help but smile at that. I think it is called a taste of your own medicine, which despite rutson making a post 20 minutes later, this comment was ignored. :)

On another point raised in this thread, I can understand why UK cachers prefer to post general caching questions in this forum rather than in the general ones. Most posts from non-Americans in the other forums receive unhelpful, sarcastic or critical replies. Such comments, which have led to new and even experienced cachers leaving the forum and even the hobby in disgust at the tone, are thankfully mostly absent from this forum. There's a reason why the UK forum is among the most popular on Groundspeak.

Which is exactly why I try my best to keep away from the main part of these forums. If your not American it appears you are not welcome to frequent the American run parts of the forum!!

Well, after many posts in most areas of the forums I haven't noticed that the attitude is worse in the main sections: in fact quite the reverse - this must be the most difficult section to post to!

Well, after many posts in most areas of the forums I haven't noticed that the attitude is worse in the main sections: in fact quite the reverse - this must be the most difficult section to post to!

I'd agree with that last sentiment. Loads of people say they've experienced forums elsewhere that attract more derision than this one, but I haven't. Others I've been on have been uniformly polite. This one is ok until you raise a slightly controversial topic, and then aren't a lot of people keen on their own sense of humour? It's like an editorial krystalnacht as some people can't wait to get their knives into you. I've quite often written posts and then not submitted* them for fear (not really) of the inevitable puerile riposte. On the whole, I think the forum is well-moderated. Keep it up, you three. And that's the three we know and love. :ph34r:

*I nearly didn't post this.

These forums are well moderated

Jerryo is right that there are certain tabboo subjects in the UK forum that you may want to post about but know the "usuall suspects" (cliques) will take issue with.

I do think that if certain threads on this forum were moved it may encourage use of the rest of the forum also Mr Moderators sirs :ph34r: perhaps directing people to the latest gossip in the main forum and uk gossip in this forum in your published logs etc may be helpfull.

After all the moved link stays on this forum slowly going down the page.

As for newbies getting put off its why Groundspeak created the getting started forum

And here is one of my favourite forums for the more walking minded the Hiking and Backpacking forum

When I have had dealings with the forum mods (ie in the context of forum issues) I have not had any problems at all. My questions have always been answered politely, fully and promptly. I think that's all one could ask for (it's not their job to acceed to my demands, no matter how much I think I may want them to! :ph34r: ) . In other words, I have no complaints so if it aint broke (sic) don't fix it!

Edited by Alibags

Considering that we have a team of Mods that work quite independently of each other, we do extremely well. After all, it's not as if the Mods are working specific shifts. There is bound to be the odd time when a slight conflict of actions occurs.

I do have one question about the UK site though... As Lacto placed a 'pinned' topic for 'congrats' some years ago, why do the mods still allow postings on that topic. As Lacto said at the time...

I'm pinning this topic at the top of the forums as a place where you can express your congratulations to anyone and everyone when they achieve a significan geocaching milestone. It is meant to replace the numerous "Congrats" threads that appear from time to time in the UK forum.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

So.......congratulate on :lol:

For all our Mods, keep up the good work :blink:

I have no problems with the way this forum is moderated. As has been said numerous times you guys have a large task to undertake as an addition to your commitments in real life.

With the best will in the world we all react differently each day to the same stimuli dependant on what the previous few hours have had in them.

I would suggest that no change is required as you strike a fairly level balance between a rigid dogmatic approach to the "rules" and total free for all. There will always be someone who thinks that one thread got unfairly treated against another. The only reply to that is "That's called life, deal with it."

I've posted on the other forums which tend to be American dominated and can appear to be overwhelming to new members.

As regards the original post that sparked this off. The only thing that should have been done is that the person should have emailed one of the moderators first to explain and ask permision for that topic. Then a better explanation in the opening comment would have meant that everyone would have understood. Please do not interpret that as an attack on Wendy as it is a simple mistake and gets made by us all on a regular basis.

Please don't take any of this to heart anyone. This is a forum where we discuss hiding tupperware boxes in the woods and hunting them in all manner of weather with gps' that lie on a regular basis.

Have a good day everyone. :D

Considering that we have a team of Mods that work quite independently of each other, we do extremely well. After all, it's not as if the Mods are working specific shifts. There is bound to be the odd time when a slight conflict of actions occurs.

I do have one question about the UK site though... As Lacto placed a 'pinned' topic for 'congrats' some years ago, why do the mods still allow postings on that topic. As Lacto said at the time...

I'm pinning this topic at the top of the forums as a place where you can express your congratulations to anyone and everyone when they achieve a significan geocaching milestone. It is meant to replace the numerous "Congrats" threads that appear from time to time in the UK forum.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

So.......congratulate on :D

For all our Mods, keep up the good work :D

The Pinned Congratulations Topic was started as a experiment, not as a single fixed place to post congratulations too. The topic has been visited several times to gauge the community's opinion about making it mandatory to post congratulations solely to the Pinned topic. The consensus each time has been for each person starting a congratulations to make their own decision about using the pinned topic or starting a new thread.

It's like an editorial krystalnacht as some people can't wait to get their knives into you...

As an aside, I always find it a bit tenuous (and possibly bad taste) to compare other people's behaviour, opinions or ideology to the Nazis, no matter how obliquely.

Oh, I find there is not a I mean this point seriously but in a non-heavy, light hearted manner smiley, bah! :D

So.......congratulate on :D

For all our Mods, keep up the good work :D

The Pinned Congratulations Topic was started as a experiment, not as a single fixed place to post congratulations too. The topic has been visited several times to gauge the community's opinion about making it mandatory to post congratulations solely to the Pinned topic. The consensus each time has been for each person starting a congratulations to make their own decision about using the pinned topic or starting a new thread.

Fair enough. I tend not to look at them anyway, after all, it's not just about the numbers... :D

It's like an editorial krystalnacht as some people can't wait to get their knives into you...

As an aside, I always find it a bit tenuous (and possibly bad taste) to compare other people's behaviour, opinions or ideology to the Nazis, no matter how obliquely.

Indeed - sly attempts to bypass Godwin's Law, to my mind, automatically result in losing the debate, as defined in the first corollary (as against Case's corollary).

There is no c*b*l.

<snip>Indeed - sly attempts to bypass Godwin's Law, to my mind, automatically result in losing the debate, as defined in the first corollary (as against Case's corollary).

Although I qualified and downsized my analogy quite considerably by using the adjective "editorial", which, to my knowledge has never been associated with that or any other pogrom, perhaps in hindsight I could have chosen my simile more carefully. I consider myself rebuked and once, perhaps twice now, is enough. Feel free to get back on topic anytime you like. :D

Wow! did a mod close a topic :ph34r: and all because of an off topic newspaper enquiry. No abuse, no swearing, no advertising, or anything.

It just might get exciting around here. ;)

Seriously, you mods must have the life of riley.

If I were you, I wouldn't entertain the idea of a UK "lounge" or "off topic" forum, you might actually have to do some hard core moderating. ;)

All in jest folks, all in jest.