GeoJamboree 2008>>who's going from Northeast Forum?

Team Divi Divi

Geo Jamboree 6 on June 7-8, 2008 GC18ER1

Just to make sure everyone from the Northeast Forum knows about this event I figured I would post here.

I'm trying to get some more attendee's from the Northeast Forum so we can fill in the campsites.

Only 10 sites remain, get in while you can. :huh:

We attended this event last year and had a great time with some fun cachers in nearby Connecticut.

The campsite map is here, we just reserved number 65

Ok...who else is going?

Kayla and I are going again. We reserved the same site as last year -- 38.

And I am currently working on an elaborate "brian b" sign to display this year. Not as cool as MSTzilla's or as hi-tech as DHenninger's, but better than the 8x11 sheet of paper I made for last year!

ooooh looks tempting...maybe I can get the girls to go for my birthday....if we could rent a motorhome....

but knowing my better half, she probably has something else in mind for that weekend that does not involve caching

turning 30 could be depressing...bonfire would help!

M

Hello from the GeoJamboree Team!

1 - Just a friendly lil reminder that Kettletown State Park/Campground has NO ELECTRIC HOOKUP. Keep this in mind if you rent a rv. The majority of us are in tents. no stumbling drunks welcome here Mr.Snat *I don't know if the rangers will bark at sleeping in your car, I imagine not, espically if you did bring a tent & it broke :P

2 - The GeoJamboree is VERY KID FRIENDLY! There is always a kids cache & kids games, even an ez kids night cache!. Bring their bikes or skooters as the campground is paved. Dozens of kids on bikes.

Here is a link to Walt's profile: CT Ateam profile He has always run the GeoJamborees. You can view the past Jamborees & email him any questions.

Hope to see all of our NorthEast friends again this year!

Edited by 1NatureMom

Mike -- yeah, the Jamboree is quite kid-friendly! Kayla went last year and she is already talking about this year's event. Since we nearly cleared the park last year(in the rain, mind you!), we may be bringing bikes for entertainment.

Buttaskotch -- I have a couple of extra tents if you need one. Let me know. You are even free to join Kayla and I for dinner on Friday night (prior to the night hiking!).

Kettletown has power in the bathrooms :) There is an outlet for hairdryers, but that's what bandanas are for :)

The showers are freezing cold & you have to continue to press the button every 30 seconds ;)

There is a kitchen style deep wash basin on the other side of the bathrooms for kitchen utensil clean up - again, freezing water.

But hey, this is what it's all about ... getting close with nature ;)

Glad to see some interest in the NE Forum! The campsite map is here. There are only 5 sites remaining! We will be there an extra night arriving on Thursday night.

Mike, yea there are not any trailer hook-ups as in electric or sewer, cable etc.

The showers are camp showers in a bath house, I do remember somewhat of a hot / warm water in the loop we are staying in. :laughing:

Buttaskotch, we have an additional 2 person tent if you need it.

1Naturemom, thanks for jumping in with some info. You organizers are doing a great job! It was a fantastic event last year and looks to be even bigger this year :blink:

It's nice to see this campground filling up, last year we had a bunch of muggles in our loop. Looks like we may soon close out the campground with mostly geocachers :laughing: Very cool!

Get a site while you still can if anyone is still on the fence.

Thanks everyone for your generosity!

I will need to take someone up on the tent offer, I haven't gone camping since I was a child so an investment in a tent is premature, I need to see if I can hack it first!

I think I goofed when I reserved on the site, I think I am in a RV area, but not too sure...can someone tell me if I am in the clear?

I am at Sites 41-68 / 054.

Thanks!

I will need to take someone up on the tent offer, I haven't gone camping since I was a child so an investment in a tent is premature, I need to see if I can hack it first!

I think I goofed when I reserved on the site, I think I am in a RV area, but not too sure...can someone tell me if I am in the clear?

Thanks!

None of the sites in that loop have any RV-Hook Ups, they may be capable of backing in an RV but I don't see that they are specifically RV only sites. Most campers in the loop will be in just tents. So I wouldn't worry. :lol:

I will try to dig up some pics from last year to show what the sites look like if I have some. :wub:

Thanks!

None of the sites in that loop have any RV-Hook Ups, they may be capable of backing in an RV but I don't see that they are specifically RV only sites. Most campers in the loop will be in just tents. So I wouldn't worry. :lol:

I will try to dig up some pics from last year to show what the sites look like if I have some. :)

Cool beans!! Thanks

I will try to dig up some pics from last year to show what the sites look like if I have some. :D

I know there's no hooks, but the site DO say 'RV ready', so.....

gonna be might awkward showin' up with a 25' vehicle & no place to park it....

M :D

I think what Divi is trying to say is yes, the sites are RV ready (the paved area is big enough, flat enough for RVs to back into, the turns are gentle enough -- as opposed to the loop I am in where it is hard enough to turn a car on the bend), but there are no hook-ups (no water, no electricity, no sewage).

Last year, there were a number of the pop-ups, but mostly tents. And I don't recall hearing any generators running . . . . .

The restrooms are open all night, with "heated" water and electricity, and even flush toliets! I hope the bride will be content with that. Otherwise, leave her at home!!!!

OK, so I haven't been camping since i was a kid, and even then it was like twice at age 6

Any recommendations of what i should bring?

I mean outside of the obvious food, clothing, caching equip.

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses, but at the top of my list is always: Therma Rest sleeping pad.

A new on is not cheap ($60 and up) but they're worth every penny. If you ever see one at a yard sale, snap it up!

For camping in June, any ol' sleeping bag will probably do.

An old pair of beat up sneakers will be better than trying to break in a new pair of fancy ones!

A bunch of nylon rope or clothesline will come in handy for all kinds of stuff.

A collapsible tote bag for taking all your morning stuff to the bathroom. Dollar stores usually have them.

A couple of quart size plastic refridgerator bottles for water at the campsite and in your tent.

That's a start for ya!

I have two Rubbermaid tubs that are pre-prepared with the following items:

Camping

(kitchen)

• Table cloths

• Table cloth clamps

• Tarp

• Toaster

• Pots

• Plates(4) , bowls (4), cups (4), mugs (4)

• String

• Garbage bags

• Napkins

• Aluminum foil

• Toilet paper

• Hand soap

• Coffee singles

• Sugar

• Creamer

• Cards and dice

• Dish soap

• Measuring cups

• Wipes

• Notebook

• Can opener

• Silverware & Plasticware

Camping

(miscellaneous)

• Double mantle lantern

• Single mantle lantern

• Battery lantern

• Matches

• Insect repellents

• Propane cartridges

• Mantles

• Hammock

• Ropes and clothes pins

• Rolled newspapers (3)

• Notebook

• First Aid kit

• Camp shovel

Obviously, this is not a comprehensive list, but it might help.

I would also suggest bringing your own firewood.

To add to brian b's list...

(we also have two large plastic tubs we keep our camping stuff in)...

I always bring a good supply of 12'-20" wire ties...

They come in very handy when camping...

a few rolls of paper towels...

a bunch of ziplock baggies, quart & gallon size...

LOTS OF ICE!!! we bring 3 large coolers full...

we always bring cubed and 4 or so blocks of ice or gallon milk jugs filled with with water and frozen...

the frozen milk jugs are nice, cause you can use them for drinking water as they melt...

a good campstove (I prefer propaine, but the white gas ones are OK too)...

and I could not get along without my 12 cup camp percolator...

and lots of Dunkin' Donuts fresh ground coffee...

and real half & half... can't stand the powdered stuff...

I can skimp on most anything when camping... but not my coffee...

I got this one...$17.95 at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026C6UE?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

Ditto on the firewood...

As I recall you are not allowed to forage for it at Kettletown...

and most campgrounds are pretty well picked clean of deadfall anyway...

Don't forget somethin' to sip around the campfire at night too...

Just to take the chill off of course...

wink, wink, nudge, nudge :P:):ph34r: ...

(just don't give any to briansnat, or he'll end up crashing at your site)... :(

If you forget anything there is a grocery store & a K-Mart (HAS A PRETTY GOOD CAMPING SECTION)...

In Southbury, about 10 minute drive from Kettletown SP...

I usually end up making at least one trip for stuff we need/forgot/broke...

We also have a 4x8' trailer, to fit all the stuff we bring... The Jeep just don't cut it...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

:D-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 15 2008, 05:09 PM) 3321098[/snapback]

I think what Divi is trying to say is yes, the sites are RV ready (the paved area is big enough, flat enough for RVs to back into, the turns are gentle enough -- as opposed to the loop I am in where it is hard enough to turn a car on the bend), but there are no hook-ups (no water, no electricity, no sewage).

Last year, there were a number of the pop-ups, but mostly tents. And I don't recall hearing any generators running . . . . .

The restrooms are open all night, with "heated" water and electricity, and even flush toliets! I hope the bride will be content with that. Otherwise, leave her at home!!!!

well, we got a 25' cabover....key here is the head in the house....

like I said...eeeeease her in to it....

If it were just me, I'd sleep on a hunk of foam under some visqueen stretched out from the side of the van.... :blink:

will also make it a bit easier on the supplies, since it's been a lonnnnng time sine this Eagle Scout did any serious camping....Philmont 1984 comes to mind

M

OK, so I haven't been camping since i was a kid, and even then it was like twice at age 6

Any recommendations of what i should bring?

I mean outside of the obvious food, clothing, caching equip.

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses, but at the top of my list is always: Therma Rest sleeping pad.

A new on is not cheap ($60 and up) but they're worth every penny. If you ever see one at a yard sale, snap it up!

Thermarest's are great, but for car camping where weight doesn't really matter like at GeoJamboree I prefer an air mattress. Cheap, comfortable, and you can get them big enough for 2 people to share. If you go with a big one you will want some sort of pump. You'll want a high volume/low pressure pump as opposed to the low volume/high pressure pumps used to inflate tires.

A bunch of nylon rope or clothesline will come in handy for all kinds of stuff.

QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 16 2008, 01:25 PM) 3322174[/snapback]

• Hammock

• Ropes and clothes pins

Just a reminder that Kettletown and all other CT state parks do not allow anything to be tied to or hung from trees. That pretty much rules out hammocks, clothes lines, tarps or hanging lanterns.

The rest of the lists so far are pretty good. I'll second PBS on the frozen jugs. They work great and you don't have to worry about food in the cooler getting wet and soggy. I still prefer cubed ice for the beer cooler though. :mad: Also, the park office sells bags of ice at a reasonable price.

Chances are, anything you *do* forget you can either do without for the weekend, run out and buy, or borrow from a neighbor. 2 years ago we met a great couple from MD (terri and billy) at GeoJamboree all because of coffee problems. :blink:

As MOPAR said...

"Just a reminder that Kettletown and all other CT state parks do not allow anything to be tied to or hung from trees.

That pretty much rules out hammocks, clothes lines, tarps or hanging lanterns."

we have a bunch of telescoping tent poles we bring...

(I think we got them at walmart or k-mart, cheap)...

and a lot of tent stakes and light braided rope, it's like $5-$7 for 100 yards... maybe 400# test...

enough to support a tarp, and any lanterns...

all free standing, and all the sites at Kettletown are pretty much in the open...

will not support a hammock, but good for all the rest...

we also bring a bunch of cheap "tiki torches"... to light the area and any difficult walkways...

we also use the inflateable air mattresses... also cheap at walmart or k-mart...

Sorry- its way too far a drive for me. I wont say why, because I might get banned. Lets just say If the Southeast forums had one, Id be closer to that than y'all.

Yo... give it up dude...

You only complain that Virginia is included in the Northesast...

You have made 16 posts here... only registered on Feb. 9th... and have NO geocache finds...

TROLL...

QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 16 2008, 10:25 AM) 3322174[/snapback]

Thats a lot of stuff!!! :blink:

I live in a NYC apartment, so I am going to pair down your recommendations to the just "basics", but thank you for such a comprehensive list! If I decide that I like camping, I will print out this list and keep it safe! :)

Now about that firewood for heating food, so I am guessing BBQ + charcoal is not allowed at the Park?

:D--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 16 2008, 10:25 AM) 3322174[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thats a lot of stuff!!! :blink:

I live in a NYC apartment, so I am going to pair down your recommendations to the just "basics", but thank you for such a comprehensive list! If I decide that I like camping, I will print out this list and keep it safe! :)

Now about that firewood for heating food, so I am guessing BBQ + charcoal is not allowed at the Park?

BBQ briquettes are no problem at all... and probably preferred...

and there will be plenty of campfires around for you to join in on the fun...

you can do it minimalist...

or, if you have lots of family with you, like us... bring a whole load of stuff...

or anything in between...

Thats a lot of stuff!!! :drama:

I live in a NYC apartment, so I am going to pair down your recommendations to the just "basics", but thank you for such a comprehensive list! If I decide that I like camping, I will print out this list and keep it safe! :drama:

we'll be just a couple over from you if you need anything (or if you want us to bring anything) I have both a pad and a blowup (queen) should you wish....

do they put out lists of wants/needs? I saw some from last year, but nothing for this year...of course, it IS 4 months away, despite me trying to push that day as far back as I can....

M ;)

:drama:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 15 2008, 05:09 PM) 3321098[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

well, we got a 25' cabover....key here is the head in the house....

like I said...eeeeease her in to it....

If it were just me, I'd sleep on a hunk of foam under some visqueen stretched out from the side of the van.... :drama:

will also make it a bit easier on the supplies, since it's been a lonnnnng time sine this Eagle Scout did any serious camping....Philmont 1984 comes to mind

M

When we were there two years ago, the rule for the generators was basically not during quiet hours. So, you could run it during the day and for a couple of hours in the evening. Our, of course, died Friday night which caused a major issue for us on Sat morning......no way to make coffee. Hence the reference from Mopar about our coffee crisis. They came to the rescue and we dealt with no generator. It was a great time and we would love to return. (That was the plan for this year until a friend decided to get married that weekend!) Plenty of caches to find (not that we found that many), terrific people to hang out with, beautiful park, and a really good time. Your wife will want to return or attend a lot more of these types of events.

Terri

Sorry- its way too far a drive for me. I wont say why, because I might get banned. Lets just say If the Southeast forums had one, Id be closer to that than y'all.

Yo... give it up dude...

You only complain that Virginia is included in the Northesast...

You have made 16 posts here... only registered on Feb. 9th... and have NO geocache finds...

TROLL...

I'm not trolling, I'm just being honest. I am hundreds of miles away from this event. If it were in NC or Central VA or some place I would attend.

Sounds like trolling to me. It does not matter one bit what section a state is listed in. As long as you can find other people in your state to discuss geocaching. Maybe you should actually TRY geocaching instead of just trolling forums that don't adhere to your standards. I see this isn't your first.

The event in this forum thread is not even being held in any of the states listed in this forum. It's in a New England forum state. It's an annual large weekend event, people have and will attend from further away then you are, which is why it is being discussed here among other places.

Take a weekend and fly/drive up. It's only 7hrs drive. Hey, maybe you could actually even log your first geocache.

:ph34r:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Feb 18 2008, 02:08 PM) 3325361[/snapback]
we'll be just a couple over from you if you need anything (or if you want us to bring anything) I have both a pad and a blowup (queen) should you wish....

And your wife allows you to bring "her" with you?!? :rolleyes:

you can be sure that if I was going alone, the blowup queen would be in the van.....

don't forget to tip yer waitress...& try the veal....

M

Hello all,

My dad and I are thinking of going to our first GC'ing event, problem is, no campsites left. Dad wants to stay in a hotel, is anyone else who's going staying in a hotel? If so, please post here or PM. I don't want to be the only person outa 250 who stays in a hotel :huh: .

Edited by Phil&Phil2008

Hello all,

My dad and I are thinking of going to our first GC'ing event, problem is, no campsites left. Dad wants to stay in a hotel, is anyone else who's going staying in a hotel? If so, please post here or PM. I don't want to be the only person outa 250 who stays in a hotel :blink: .

Avroair & Mrs. Avroair always stay at a motel...

You can always tell who they are at a camping event...

They are the ones that don't stink, and are in clean, dry clothes...

:anitongue::unsure::grin::grin:<_<