My Account page

*SLJK*

I am shocked that as a premium member who paid for 24/7 premium access I get only a simple response form the Groundspeak "We are working on it". That is in my view unacceptable.

Oh get a life! This is not something about life and death!!!! Yes we pay a little bit... but compared to a lot of other things in real life and on the internet this is cheap... here in Denmark it's a sunny but cold day... do as we did... give your gps a day off and take a walk hand in hand with the one you love :blink: and remember that there is other things in life apart from geocaching!

NWA

Nice page though. Where do you get a caching bag like signal is carrying in th picture.

The error was intermittent last night now constant. I tried deleting all the cookies and starting over with the log ins.

You can get around the /my page by going to the .com page alone. just don't go directly to "my account".

if you get emails from watched, bookmarked, or owned pages click on the links provided and get to your profile without clicking a link with /my in it.

worked for me.

Based on the links sprinkled throughout this topic, it appears to me that there are few areas that would prevent someone from going caching. I can create a PQ and receive its output. I can visit a specific cache page, through the Hide&Seek page. I can get to my profile page by going to a cache I've found and then clicking on my name in the entry. Is the website up to snuff? No. Does it stop me from getting out and caching? No. We need to accept the temporary work-arounds and get out there and start caching.

I think the NFL is responsible for the site crash. They want every possible viewer watching those $23 million/30 second commercials. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole internet doesn't go down at kickoff and doesn't get "fixed" until the game is over. :blink:

On a serious note I get concerned when "my account" stuff goes awry here or on any site. Can we at least be told if our personal info is safe and intact and that this is not a hack situation?

Edited by KJcachers

Yes . . . www.geocaching.com/pocket/ is working . . .

Does anybody have a direct link to "Create Pocket Query"?

Might try geocaching dot com/pocket/

Takes me there but didn't test it. Already had my PQ for today but then the cheapjeep decided it didn't want me to go caching :blink:

Does anybody have a direct link to "Create Pocket Query"?

Might try geocaching dot com/pocket/

Takes me there but didn't test it. Already had my PQ for today but then the cheapjeep decided it didn't want me to go caching :blink:

See? another Superbowl conspiracy! all the cars in America will not start today untill the game is over. the NFL is in cahoots with the automobile makers. how hard would it be to program those onboard computers to not start on 2/3/2008?

I am waiting for my Big NFL Brother phone call or visit to my door "asking" me to be quiet or they will make me be quiet. I also expect a bill from them for using the term "Super Bowl" on this forum without their permission. :blink:

My Account page is still not working. I am shocked that as a premium member who paid for 24/7 premium access I get only a simple response form the Groundspeak "We are working on it". That is in my view unacceptable.

Geezus. Get a life. :blink:

Personally, I'd rather that the time be spent on fixing the problem, not on writing some glorious statement about what is being done about it.

Where exactly does it say that premium membership guarantees 24/7 access?

My Account page is still not working. I am shocked that as a premium member who paid for 24/7 premium access I get only a simple response form the Groundspeak "We are working on it". That is in my view unacceptable.

Don't remember 24/7 access being promised anywhere on the site, actually. I suppose if they really wanted to, they could refund your 1-2 days of lost time...where would that 16 cent check go?

Yes, we'd all love for the site to be up 24/7 every time we wanted to access it and I know TPTB are striving to make that happen as much as possible, but things happen to the most robust sites out there. And I'm sure that the critical ops people WERE called in on Saturday night to deal with this as it affects their revenue and general service.

But sometimes hardware or software hiccups aren't easily diagnosed and fixed.

Here's a bunch of links all in one place - they are loading VERY slowly though. Some may be already accessible from the main geocaching screen, but it's nice to have them all in one place:

Pocket Queries

Bookmarks

Your Owned Caches

New Cache Creation

Cache Search

Edit: to clean up the mess.... :blink:

Thanks, Lizzy, for the list. As I was catching up with this thread I was thinking I'd put a list together. Then I get to your post and see you beat me to it. I should take one of those speed reading courses.

Would you like a more complicated response? :cool: Do you think that as an anointed 'Premium Member' (which you spent about $2.50/month to achieve) they owe you their undivided attention when you correspond with them? :blink: Well my $2.50/month says that I'd like to see that attention go toward fixing the problem and NOT waste time corresponding with people who are 'shocked' to receive a 'simple response'.

Get over it, get over yourself and your own selfish needs and let them do the job. It's not the end of the world and you'll survive. Try to exhibit a little patience and a little dignity. If anything, we should consider that problems like this are rare and commend those responsible for the uptime. :blink:

Take a breath!

Zeb

:blink: Well, I feel bad now. I should have checked the forums, but I have already submitted a ticket to Groundspeak. Oh well. When things usually happen, they happen to me - I have my own little cloud over my head. :blink: At any rate, I was able to log my caches from today by using the waypoint box. I have photos to upload but I'm going to wait until this is fixed. Does anyone remember the days back in 2003 and 2004 when the site was always slow when darkness fell because so many folks were logging caches at once? This feels like that time all over again! However, Groundspeak has done a great job in the years in between and usually the site is fast and wonderful.

Oops...I also submitted a ticket for the same issue, after looking at the troubleshooting section and not seeing anything about account access problems...is there any way to UN-submit a ticket or close it with a "Newbie who didn't read the Forums first" designation (in my case anyway)?

Thanks to the Groundspeak staff who are working on this, and to everyone who published helpful links further down in this topic. Hope everything will be back and humming soon.

:blink: Phew... Glad I found this topic... I created a new route query last night that went a little strange on me when I uploaded it. Thought I had broken my account when I couldn't get back in... Looks like my account might be fine... I've just broken the whole site! :blink:

No caching today. Tied to work on things last night and it was a no go. Thought it would be fine this morning, again a no go. Takes 4 minutes to load a page. Maybe it is a sign to work around the house on all of the projects that I have been saving for a rainy day.

I am shocked that as a premium member who paid for 24/7 premium access I get only a simple response form the Groundspeak "We are working on it". That is in my view unacceptable.

Oh get a life! This is not something about life and death!!!! Yes we pay a little bit... but compared to a lot of other things in real life and on the internet this is cheap... here in Denmark it's a sunny but cold day... do as we did... give your gps a day off and take a walk hand in hand with the one you love :blink: and remember that there is other things in life apart from geocaching!

NWA

Exactly the whole idea of geocaching in the first place - get out and live life and have fun. :blink: Groundspeak will fix this as soon as they can. Most of the time we all use a worry free site and we take it for granted.

:blink: Well, I feel bad now. I should have checked the forums, but I have already submitted a ticket to Groundspeak. Oh well. When things usually happen, they happen to me - I have my own little cloud over my head. :cool: At any rate, I was able to log my caches from today by using the waypoint box. I have photos to upload but I'm going to wait until this is fixed. Does anyone remember the days back in 2003 and 2004 when the site was always slow when darkness fell because so many folks were logging caches at once? This feels like that time all over again! However, Groundspeak has done a great job in the years in between and usually the site is fast and wonderful.

Oops...I also submitted a ticket for the same issue, after looking at the troubleshooting section and not seeing anything about account access problems...is there any way to UN-submit a ticket or close it with a "Newbie who didn't read the Forums first" designation (in my case anyway)?

Thanks to the Groundspeak staff who are working on this, and to everyone who published helpful links further down in this topic. Hope everything will be back and humming soon.

No way to unsubmit one that I know of, but I did run across a topic in the forum today under 'Geocaching.com Web Site' which gives you a list of troubleshooting steps which includes starting with the forum. LOL! The bookmark list feature is still working, I would say try to find lists that can help you in your area on your quest. We can also ask each other for help as most of us have a few waypoints already in our GPS units. I am going caching today! :blink:

Using the WAP interface appears to be working. I did a zip code search and it worked fine.

Craig

C&S 143

Like everyone else, I can't get anywhere that requires me to login. (Even using the links everyone has provided) However the wap interface is working perfectly for me! Thanks

Just in case there is any confusion, it's http://wap.geocaching.com

Thank you JadedOne! :blink:

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the my account page? We keep getting: Sorry! We encountered an error when requesting that page! Tried logging out and back in that didn't work.

Thanks for reporting it. We are already working on it.

:blink:

Just curious here but what platform is the site running on? Windows? Linux?

IIS or Apache? MS SQL or MySQL?

I've seen a lot of similar issues with IIS and the worker process in IIS requiring periodic recycling when handling excessive calls to a SQL DB.

But I'm just assuming that this is a system issue and not some DDOS or bandwidth issue at the ISP.

Traceroute has started ...

traceroute: Warning: www.geocaching.com has multiple addresses; using 66.150.167.150
traceroute to www.geocaching.com (66.150.167.150), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1  * * *
2  * * *
3  gig2-4.kenowikeno-rtr2.wi.rr.com (24.160.229.21)  9.410 ms  10.163 ms  8.815 ms
4  srp1-0.ungvwiykvl-rtr1.wi.rr.com (24.160.224.97)  10.777 ms  9.634 ms  11.823 ms
5  srp14-0.milwwirtco-rtr1.wi.rr.com (24.160.225.1)  11.268 ms  11.349 ms  13.884 ms
6  RDC-24-94-160-58.kc.rr.com (24.94.160.58)  29.484 ms  42.439 ms  35.290 ms
7  so-3-1-0.chcgill3-rtr1.kc.rr.com (24.94.160.161)  26.653 ms so6-1-1.chcgilL3-rtr1.kc.rr.com (24.94.160.50)  30.608 ms  36.311 ms
8  ae-5-0.cr0.chi30.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.112)  25.305 ms  25.849 ms  26.613 ms
9  ae-0-0.cr0.chi10.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.20)  31.207 ms  25.220 ms  26.543 ms
10  ae-3-0.cr0.sjc10.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.14)  78.409 ms  74.960 ms  76.648 ms
11  ae-0-0.pr0.sjc10.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.141)  75.665 ms  76.696 ms  79.658 ms
12  66.79.148.149 (66.79.148.149)  78.676 ms  75.216 ms  76.522 ms
13  cr1.sea002.inappnet.cr2.sje007.internap.net (66.79.146.229)  96.992 ms  94.121 ms  96.332 ms
14  core6.inappnet-497.sef.internap.net (66.79.144.38)  84.490 ms  87.039 ms  85.664 ms
15  border6.ge5-1-bbnet1.sef.pnap.net (63.251.160.11)  96.383 ms  91.377 ms  85.761 ms
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *
31  * * *
32  * * *
33  * * *
34  * * *
35  * * *
36  * * *
37  * * *
38  * * *
39  * * *
40  * * *
41  * * *
42  * * *
43  * * *
44  * * *
45  * * *
46  * * *
47  * * *
48  * * *
49  * * *
50  * * *
51  * * *
52  * * *
53  * * *
54  * * *
55  * * *
56  * * *
57  * * *
58  * * *
59  * * *
60  * * *
61  * * *
62  * * *
63  * * *
64  * * *

Would you like a more complicated response? :cool: Do you think that as an anointed 'Premium Member' (which you spent about $2.50/month to achieve) they owe you their undivided attention when you correspond with them? :D Well my $2.50/month says that I'd like to see that attention go toward fixing the problem and NOT waste time corresponding with people who are 'shocked' to receive a 'simple response'.

Get over it, get over yourself and your own selfish needs and let them do the job. It's not the end of the world and you'll survive. Try to exhibit a little patience and a little dignity. If anything, we should consider that problems like this are rare and commend those responsible for the uptime. :D

Take a breath!

Zeb

well said. not bad for a Minnesotan! :blink: Me too BTW, we use to kick your football teams butt all over the field back in the late 70' when I played - Go Pine River Go :blink:

Geezus. Get a life. :blink:

Personally, I'd rather that the time be spent on fixing the problem, not on writing some glorious statement about what is being done about it.

Yeah, it's much better not to give any indication on the site that it's having problems and let thousands of people try over and over again to attempt to get to pages which don't work.

While I'm sure most people have a life outside of caching, I can see why people are complaining. I also had plans on taking a road trip today to do some caching, but I'm obviously going to have to change plans. No biggie, but it is frustrating nonetheless. To expect people to not complain when a service they pay for is unavailable is unreasonable however.

Speaking as a qualified IT Geek, the "We are working on it" response is perfectly acceptable to me.

IT Geekery is not an exact science, and sometimes things take more than a few nano seconds to get resolved.

Whining about paying for premium access 24/7 aint on, you pay for the privilege to access to a few extra goodies!

I am sure it'll all be sorted in 5 - 10 microsoft minutes.. AKA a completely random and variable unit of normal space time!

I guess I'll just go caching with four-day old data. Oh the horrors! :blink::cool:

Well, in the general opinion of TPTB, that is unacceptable. Since they don't want us maintaining an off-line database, you'd better not go with that 4 day old data. Only FRESH data is acceptable.

Heh - please step around the puddles of sarcasm coming off this post. :blink:

I do not have any insight into Groundspeak's server or other issues.

I can, however, say this:

I was a consultant IT Analyst for 28 years and NONE, not one, of my clients from the small local window and door store to the DOD would have accepted this issue going on this long.

I realize that it takes a woman nine months to have a baby, and nine women can't have a baby in one month, but I would like to see ALL of the resources available focused on this issue and not on extraneous boondoggles like Waymarking and Wherigo.

The longer this goes on the more I believe that someone with resources like Google is going to step in and steal Groundspeak's football.

They could stand up a listing service almost overnight and it would work.

Hm..some poeople think that for $2.5 per month will have support like from Oracle.

Hm..some poeople think that for $2.5 per month will have support like from Oracle.

I hear a lot of this "It's only $3 a month" used as some sort of excuse or justification for years of unstable service.

Sorry, that doesn't work!

Groundspeak sets the membership price... If Groundspeak isn't making enough money to build out its infrastructure at their charged price then they need to raise that price! That's simple Business 101.

I hear a lot of this "It's only $3 a month" used as some sort of excuse or justification for years of unstable service.

Groundspeak sets the membership price... If Groundspeak isn't making enough money to build out its infrastructure at their charged price then they need to raise that price! That's simple Business 101.

It's also simple Business 101 that if people don't feel they are getting value for what they pay they go elsewhere and you don't make a profit. The correlation to that is if most of your customers feel they are getting a fair return on what they spend they will stay, and your business will grow.

Looking around at all the various gps game sites, I think it's obvious which one paid the most attention during Business 101.

I think it's less of an excuse and more an explanation of a business model. They feel they can't charge significantly more or find outside revenue (a la Google) to build a Google-level infrastructure, so they build one good enough to support things most of the time. Groundspeak is still a pretty small business when you compare it to things like Google....my mom-and-pop ISP has more outages and downtime than the nation-wide, multi-billion dollar ISP company.

I'm not saying it can't and shouldn't be improved and I agree with you that every outage makes me curious as to why things like Waymarking and Wherigo are out there...sure, they're other avenues of revenue, but they are also distractions because attention is required to be divided.

It got a little better late last night and I was able to plan a few caches for today. Plus I've got a couple left over from yesterday that I didn't make it out to.

Good enough for me.

I wish them luck in finding and correcting the problem.

P.S. - You can always go out hiking without going geocaching. We used to do this in the old days. :blink:

Speaking as a qualified IT Geek, the "We are working on it" response is perfectly acceptable to me.

IT Geekery is not an exact science, and sometimes things take more than a few nano seconds to get resolved.

Whining about paying for premium access 24/7 aint on, you pay for the privilege to access to a few extra goodies!

I am sure it'll all be sorted in 5 - 10 microsoft minutes.. AKA a completely random and variable unit of normal space time!

I don't know where you work, but I have worked at more than one location over my career and I can tell you that the old ".....working on it" line just did/does not cut it. Unless what I was being asked about was not very important. That was rarely, if ever the case. I have never worked for a charity, perhaps there it would be different, I do not know.

I don't know where you work, but I have worked at more than one location over my career and I can tell you that the old ".....working on it" line just did/does not cut it. Unless what I was being asked about was not very important. That was rarely, if ever the case. I have never worked for a charity, perhaps there it would be different, I do not know.

Yet customers don't really need to be told, well, it's either this database call, a rough index, a bad chip, failed SAN, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

If the techs are troubleshooting, let them be. Do you call your mechanic every 15 minutes to ask if he's figured why your car doesn't always start? Do you bug your doctor every 15 minutes to find out what he's doing about that weird ache you sometimes get?

Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what a problem is, then how best to fix it without making new problems. Would you prefer "we don't know why the site is down, let us figure it out" response to a "we're working on the problem"?

THE POINT is that your $2.50/month (membership as a Premium Member) doesn't entitle you to detail answers from Groundspeak or it's IT department.

Darquer's statement was 'I am shocked that as a premium member who paid for 24/7 premium access I get only a simple response'. In my opinion, $2.50/month isn't enough to warrant a detailed and complicated assessment of the situation. If you think I'm wrong about that, don't renew your membership! Show them you are unhappy with the service by withholding your $2.50/month. That's simple Consumerism 101!

If you're unhappy with what YOU SAY is 'years of unstable service', just keep your $2.50/month and move on. Simple!

Zeb...

If you guys been aroudn here long enough. You would relize that this happens quite often and I have gotten used to it especailly if they did some changes durring week as it appears they had with that new error page in which I am having issues with. This topic is not to discuss about why in the heck I am spending $2.50 and month about this, it is about the problem with my account page. I put my premium membership to good use and use the tool GSAK along with PQs to keep me up with my Geocaches even if the site is down.

Now as I mentioned in the other topic. The only page that is not working for me is my account page at http://www.geocaching.com/my and what its doing is hijacking me to the error page to a different address at http://www.geocaching.com/error/general.aspx, disabling my ability to use the F5 key. I am considering sending in a support ticket over this new site problem as If I get this page while submitting something my browser would automatically bring up that error page even if its working because, one it changed the address to directly the error page and not the page I needed, and two my browser has a screwy cache (Temporary Internet Files) system.

Anyway as I siad in the other thread that is the only page that issn't working for me and to me right now I am not having slow site problems anywhere else. Anyway these were still working that were posted in the other thread:

Here's a bunch of links all in one place - they are loading VERY slowly though. Some may be already accessible from the main geocaching screen, but it's nice to have them all in one place:

Pocket Queries