Requested Feature: Posted Photo Notification

Western Mass Clan

Hi TPTB!

I humbly request that you consider making the following a part of your "Ver. 2.0" upgrade for later in the year:

Posted Photo Notification

Just as when you are notified that somebody has logged one of your caches or TB's, I thought it would be a nice addition to also receive a notification when a user posts a photo to your cache. Often, I don't realize that somebody has posted a photo until several weeks or even months after they've logged the cache when I'm casually perusing my cache listings.

Because of the time-intensive process of downloading, sorting, resizing, and commenting photos, cachers don't always post pictures the same day as they post their log. I think it would be great to receive a notification that reads, "Cacher A has posted a photo to your listing 'Insert Random Cache Name'".

Of course, the real trick would be to find a way to cut down on the annoyance factor when the local shutter bug posts 25 photos to your cache page. :lol: Perhaps a work around would be limiting notifications to one per day per cache page - kinda like a summary of all posted pictures for that cache for that day.

Anyway, just a thought! Keep up the great work. :huh:

Matt

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

I somewhat agree, but with some reservation. How would the notification be done... photo by photo? In some cases, that could generate more emails than you'd appreciate. I suspect that what you (and me) would like would be a "one or more photos have been uploaded to your cache" notice, but that would be difficult to program. Perhaps a "one or more photos have been uploaded to your cache TODAY" note would work?

Generally photos are added via a note. In those cases, if the poster would make mention of it in the note, you would be notified.

This is an interesting idea...

I would also like to get some sort of daily summary notification of photos posted to a cache I own or am watching.

What if it attached the image with the persons log in the email it will send to the owner, or anybody on the watchlist?

This could potentially be a killer to anyone on dial-up. Also not sure how much load this would add to the Groundspeak mail servers.

If attaching images were considered, I suggest it be added as an option on the account's profile so users could choose whether to receive these notifications at all and choose whether to have the images attached.

Edited by Ferreter5

This would be kind of nice.

I for one have posted photos on a cache page many months after actually doing my log of that cache. I'm sure the cache owner has seen them since he does not have a multitude of cache hides like some people I know.

But I am glad that posting a photo is not the same as editing a log, I mean, that cache has my shortest log, 1 word. And adding 2 or 3 more photos (with long captions) a year after my find does not change that by the words [This entry was edited by trainlove on Thursday, January 18, 2008 at 7:06:51 AM.]

This is an interesting idea...

I would also like to get some sort of daily summary notification of photos posted to a cache I own or am watching.

What if it attached the image with the persons log in the email it will send to the owner, or anybody on the watchlist?

This could potentially be a killer to anyone on dial-up. Also not sure how much load this would add to the Groundspeak mail servers.

If attaching images were considered, I suggest it be added as an option on the account's profile so users could choose whether to receive these notifications at all and choose whether to have the images attached.

Maybe you could get the option, do I want it attached, or not. Maybe zipped into a zip file? :D

I'd like to see something flickr like a photostream or news feed.

Rather than getting notified for each photo, it would be nice to get a single note from Groundspeak daily/weekly saying "New photos have been added to your photo stream". This would have links to all photos to caches on my watchlist/bookmark list.

Or visit the stream on demand ...

I somewhat agree, but with some reservation. How would the notification be done... photo by photo? In some cases, that could generate more emails than you'd appreciate. I suspect that what you (and me) would like would be a "one or more photos have been uploaded to your cache" notice, but that would be difficult to program. Perhaps a "one or more photos have been uploaded to your cache TODAY" note would work?

Generally photos are added via a note. In those cases, if the poster would make mention of it in the note, you would be notified.

As my original post said, you and I are basically in agreement concerning the annoyance factor of the "photo by photo" approach. Better to receive a summary at the end of the day. Or perhaps even better, once done uploading multiple photos to the cache page, the poster could then click a "done posting pictures" button which would initiate the sending of a single notification to the cache owner and those who are watching the cache listing.

As always, My 2 cents.

Matt

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

I'd like to see something flickr like a photostream or news feed.

Rather than getting notified for each photo, it would be nice to get a single note from Groundspeak daily/weekly saying "New photos have been added to your photo stream". This would have links to all photos to caches on my watchlist/bookmark list.

Or visit the stream on demand ...

Perfect. I wouldn't mind a weekly notification to new photos on caches owned, watched and bookmarked when the option is checked to receive logs.

Along the same lines, it would be nifty to receive some sort of notification (weekly would be fine) when someone posts images to a trackable that I own...

Yes, it's nice that this has been pointed out. Just about nothing to do with travel bugs and geocoins has the same look and feel as that having to do with caches:

1. No list of stats such as I mention in. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184785

2. In ones profile or someone elses profile Trackable tab, no way to see ALL bugs as in the Geocaches tab as in "List of Geocaches found (All Cache Finds)" and "List of items owned (All Cache Hides)". Also something mentioned by me in the forums a few years ago.

3. When looking at a group of someones travel bugs, either found or owned, or ALL if #2 above is implemented, no way to see, at a glance, how many of them you have touched as in a search for caches having a checkmark on ALL that you have found. This is also something I have mentioned years ago.

4. If looking at one coin, no way to see if you had logged it without having to scroll through as many pages of logs as that coin has looking for your name. A simple sentence "You have found this traveler" on a bug page would be great.

5. can't think of any other right now.

Perhaps the long wait for V.2 might implement ALL of these requests.

Actually there are 2 more things that are inconsistant with travel bug photos.

5. When you submit a photo against a travel bug, there is the filename, the caption and a note section. But that note section never appears to anyone other than the poster of the photo unlike photos in cache logs.

6. One can't have a photo as a background on a bug page. Sure you can post a photo for the bug but it is not a background photo.