A Basic I Can't Figure Out ....

sandrats

How does one locate the origin of a Geocoin group? E.g., we now have an oval geocoin marked "CH." True, I can go (and have gone) to the originator of this individual geocin, which was first placed just a bit ago, but there is no indication of the origin or significance or theme of CH geocoins in general. There are no travel goals for this one either. I searched "CH Geocoins" within geocaching.com, and got 100 hits. Without reading each and every one, they all semed to be non-descriptive except for the occaisional reference to "Dutch Geocoin," which is extraweird since CH, at least on European license plates, is Switzerland. It isn't so much that I want an answer to this particular Geoicoin label, it's just a representative example of a desire to KNOW. Without any background, it seems to lack a lot of the potential fun and sparkle. So, is there a reference source for the history/significance of individual geocoin types/labels. I'm exhausted searching. :lol:

Could it be that there were coins made at some point that had *Country abbreviations* on them, like the popular bumper stickers? Someone who has been caching longer than me could answer this. CH would be for Switzerland. The symbols are usually black letters on a white oval field.

Well what do you know my Swiss coins do have the CH prefix but then so do the Team Skirtlifter coins too.

According to the guidelines if with a 1000 tracking #s you can request a custom prefix from Groundspeak. So if your name is Charlie Han and want your initials to be the prefix of the 1000 coins you reserved tracking #s for you go it.

How does one locate the origin of a Geocoin group? E.g., we now have an oval geocoin marked "CH." True, I can go (and have gone) to the originator of this individual geocin, which was first placed just a bit ago, but there is no indication of the origin or significance or theme of CH geocoins in general. There are no travel goals for this one either. I searched "CH Geocoins" within geocaching.com, and got 100 hits. Without reading each and every one, they all semed to be non-descriptive except for the occaisional reference to "Dutch Geocoin," which is extraweird since CH, at least on European license plates, is Switzerland. It isn't so much that I want an answer to this particular Geoicoin label, it's just a representative example of a desire to KNOW. Without any background, it seems to lack a lot of the potential fun and sparkle. So, is there a reference source for the history/significance of individual geocoin types/labels. I'm exhausted searching. :ph34r:

ahhh I feel the same way sometimes. Have you got a photo front and back? http://www.trackablecoins.com/index.php?ti...ticker_Geocoins

Do add what you find to the wikipedia at www.trackablecoins.com which has a space for the sort of information you require which is often deleted from a commercial geocoin website to save space after it has sold out. they may keep the photo but rarely do both - geocoinstore.com is one that does.

Edited by forthferalz

ok Sandrat here's what I got about the design: http://www.universalexportltd.com/index.php

nc339gbgreatbritain.jpg

"The insignia came into being as a result of the Convention On Road Traffic adopted by the United Nations on 19 September 1949 in Geneva. It required vehicles traveling in Europe to display an oval sticker with letter codes indicating its country of origin; such as GB for Great Britain or D for Deutschland."

Geoswag ran out of steam or customers after about letter I with a couple of spoofs thrown in for good measure

the full list of abbreviations can be found here http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/Distsigns.pdf

DISTINGUISHING SIGNS USED ON VEHICLES IN INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

NOTIFIED TO THE SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE UNITED NATIONS

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 1968 CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC (ARTICLE 45 (4)) 1/

AND THE 1949 CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC (ANNEX 4) 2/

Status as at 15 February 2007

I checked it and indeed you have a Swiss geocoin not a Dutch one.

Edited by forthferalz

WellWellWell, forthferalz (???) ... I didn't see your response until today because a) life is busy and 2) I was discouraged by the earlier responses. Now I'm hepped up again with curiosity ... still sitting here with the CH geocoin; no response from my e-mail to the person who put this particulargeocoin into geocache circulation ....

so ...Thank you #1 for an intelligent first response & #2 for a thoughtful and detailed second response ... I'm still absorbing it. Your links are terrific, too.

Any more thoughts? I'm still at sea on this.

ok Sandrat here's what I got about the design: http://www.universalexportltd.com/index.php

nc339gbgreatbritain.jpg

"The insignia came into being as a result of the Convention On Road Traffic adopted by the United Nations on 19 September 1949 in Geneva. It required vehicles traveling in Europe to display an oval sticker with letter codes indicating its country of origin; such as GB for Great Britain or D for Deutschland."

Geoswag ran out of steam or customers after about letter I with a couple of spoofs thrown in for good measure

the full list of abbreviations can be found here http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/Distsigns.pdf

DISTINGUISHING SIGNS USED ON VEHICLES IN INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

NOTIFIED TO THE SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE UNITED NATIONS

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 1968 CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC (ARTICLE 45 (4)) 1/

AND THE 1949 CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC (ANNEX 4) 2/

Status as at 15 February 2007

I checked it and indeed you have a Swiss geocoin not a Dutch one.