How would you rate the Difficulty?

Lacomo

How would you rate the Difficulty on a cache under a chain link fence post cap?

I'm sure to an experienced cacher it would be a 1 1/2 but to someone that had never found one like this it would be higher.

I guess since its actually hidden, i would give it a medium rating. That way newbies would understand that it's a little more than the pile of sticks on a ammo can. If it's out of sight then to be fair a "3" would be okay, but no more than that. We don't want to many frustrated people! :lol: Others might not rate it that high but I think it's okay :lol:

I'm sure to an experienced cacher it would be a 1 1/2 but to someone that had never found one like this it would be higher.

One of my hides in a fence post with a cap. I have rated as a 1.5. So far it's got 68 finds and 1 DNF. It's been found by quite a few cachers with single digit finds at the time and for several it was their first. Many have logged that the coordinates were right on, there are few other hiding places near by (I have even placed a decoy hollow log nearby), and I added a hint.

My goal for this cache was for a cache that *was* easy but was not a traditional container. Sort of a training cache for more difficult hides with non-traditional containers. So far I think I have succeeded.

That one DNF was when the cache went "missing". One of the finders stuffed something too large into the flexible container and the next person to find it pulled too hard on the fence cap. The connection of the cap and container broke and the container dropped to the bottom of the fence post. I was able to fish it out with a fishing hook taped to a narrow stick. That was on the day after I place the cache. I revised the container and haven't had a problem since.

I'd say 1.5 or 2 max. Especially if there isn't another obvious hiding spot nearby. It's probably the first spot most cachers will look.

Yup. I found my first one of these in about 30 seconds only because there were no other reasonable spots. Now I'll always check them out if they're near by, but I'll admit that I haven't seen too many hides like this.

That's a good point. If it's the only thing there it's going to be simpler than if it's one of many spots to look.

When I was a brand new cacher, I DNF'd a Multi waypoint hidden in a fence post cap, and another cache hidden under a fence post cap, both placed by the same hider.

To me, that was a '5' for difficulty, 'cause I didn't know those caps came off . . . :huh:

Now, a cache hidden like that is a '1'. So, it all depends on how much experience someone has had with fence posts . . . :lol:

When I was a brand new cacher, I DNF'd a Multi waypoint hidden in a fence post cap, and another cache hidden under a fence post cap, both placed by the same hider.

To me, that was a '5' for difficulty, 'cause I didn't know those caps came off . . . :huh:

Now, a cache hidden like that is a '1'. So, it all depends on how much experience someone has had with fence posts . . . :lol:

The rating should be what "most" people would think. I'd rate a cache like that a 1.5 because it is really very easy for most cachers. A 1.0 is the easiest cache like an LPC. You can spot one of those before you even get close to it.

There is a pretty good cache rating guide available, I just can't locate it right now but I'm certain that someone in here can provide you with that info. As I recall though, that tool does not take into account factors such as whether or not a hunter may or may not have ever found a cache of that particualr style.

Wait a minute, here it is: http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/ :blink:

Edited by Team Cotati

IMHO, the rating would depend on the context of the hide. If the fence is the only thing in sight, a 1.0 might be appropriate. After all, where else could it be? But what about a target-rich environment, like a fence on the edge of a woods with all knids of rocks strewn about? I actually came across a hide just like this. I'd give it a 3.

just wondering, i really wanted to hide one like that near my house, but none of the caps come off around here cept the plastic ones, which look out of place already and i think would be way toooo easy? is it just luck or do you buy your own and find an empty pole?

In my case I think I just lucked out. There is a small park just across from where I live that has an older chained link fence around 3/4 of the park. Most of the caps are fixed but I found one that came lifted off easily. I "borrowed" it for awhile and poured some epoxy into the cap, twisted up a piece of wire, placed the wire in the epoxy and let it set. Once it was set I attached the free end of the wire to a container I constructed with a clear plastic tube, some duct tape, and a bungie cord to hold down a cap to keep it watertight. As I said before mine is pretty easy and for most seasoned cacher that would be the first place they'd look.

I was searching for a cache last weekend and hadn't looked at the listing to check on the size. I lifted 3-4 fence post caps before checking an nearby area where I discovered the cache; a five gallon bucket.