Newbie with a 3yr old

Eliesha

There are a lot of posts on this subject, but first, let me say...

WELCOME TO THE MADNESS! :lol:

First, take snacks, water, and be prepared for what you may need.

Second, a lot of swear by different types of backpacks/slings/maitai carriers for the little ones when we're out in the country and strollers in town. Then again, you'll get the other side that let's their little ones walk and even carry small backpacks, which is great, too!

I think most importantly is that when the kiddo is tired, call it a day. Don't think you can get "just one more cache" out of them. It's just asking for frustration and aggravation.

Last, try to hit the bigger caches and start out with the ones with easy terrain and difficulty ratings, the 1/1's. The bigger caches will have swag the little ones love to trade for and that makes it a lot of fun for them!

That is it in a nutshell, I'm sure there are other things, but those are the main things!

Naomi :lol:... along with pappa Micke and our two girls, Hanna - 8, and Caitlyn - 20 months who rides along happily in a patapum carrier!

Try a few easier caches, preferably regular sized ones with swag to trade. Kids love the "treasure hunt" aspect of the game.

Start with shorter walks. Try to target caches in areas that might be interesting for the kid. Wooded areas, parks, etc...

Don't push him/her though. When s/he gets tired, turn around. It's always better to leave the kid wanting more than hating it.

Edited by briansnat

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and am really excited to get into it more. We've found a couple caches but, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for taking smaller kids along to make it more bearable :lol:)

My almost 3 year old and 4 1/2 year old love it.

See some of my gallery pics:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....e8-fe3977bc5bcc

I bring snacks, and don't do anything more difficult than a 2/2.

I usually only do 1 or 2 a day with them, it's a nice way to get out. Sometimes my youngest wants to be carried, so I am prepared for that. And I take them both out by myself, my wife has only gone on one trip (just not her thing).

There are a lot of posts on this subject, but first, let me say...

Second, a lot of swear by different types of backpacks/slings/maitai carriers for the little ones when we're out in the country and strollers in town. Then again, you'll get the other side that let's their little ones walk and even carry small backpacks, which is great, too!

I think most importantly is that when the kiddo is tired, call it a day. Don't think you can get "just one more cache" out of them. It's just asking for frustration and aggravation.

Last, try to hit the bigger caches and start out with the ones with easy terrain and difficulty ratings, the 1/1's. The bigger caches will have swag the little ones love to trade for and that makes it a lot of fun for them!

That is it in a nutshell, I'm sure there are other things, but those are the main things!

Naomi :lol:... along with pappa Micke and our two girls, Hanna - 8, and Caitlyn - 20 months who rides along happily in a patapum carrier!

A local caching team uses one of those keltie backpacks. Their 2-3 year old goes on most of their cache hunts with them. I've cached them a few times including a night cache and the little guy rides along and really seems to enjoy it.

I have a 4 year old that is less than enthusiastic about geocaching (he likes when I bring home some cool swag though). Be prepared to give up on a find even when you are near or at ground zero.

Become a Premium Member, and you can do a Pocket Query for recently placed caches!

The beauty of finding recently placed caches is that they contain the highest quality swag, which is a consideration with the little ones. Unfortunately, the quality of cache swag deteriorates quickly with time.

With PQs, you can also search by cache and terrain difficulty, and even search for "kid friendly" caches.

My son is 3 and half now, and occasionally goes geocaching with me. He still remembers the first one I took him to, around his third birthday. He referrers it it as "his" geocache.

What is fun is when you get to the area of the cache, hopefully you can see where it is hidden, and then carefully direct your son/daughter to the cache and let them find it. Have fun!

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and am really excited to get into it more. We've found a couple caches but, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for taking smaller kids along to make it more bearable :ph34r:)

We cache with a 6 year old and 3 year old. My husband works nights so he takes the 3 year old a lot by himself out into the woods. She is a great hiker, but we also have a backpack for her when she gets tired. She is really light (25 lbs) so the backpack still works for her. If we know the terrain is flat on a hike, we take our jog stroller for her.

Have fun. Our kids LOVE it!

I have a 4yr old and a 6yr old and they love it! My 6 yr old has been know to find it faster than us on some. Of course, bring snacks and expect to carry the younger ones some. But its a really good healthy sport for the family. I have even put a ten part in the local zoo that was geared for the kids as my 6 yr old helped put it together. Just reseach the cache b4 you go to see that its kid friendly depending on your child. But my 2 boys are quick to trample thru the woods right along with us and it gives us the opp to teach them about different plants, animals, ect that are in the woods (what to stay away from and what you can snack on they love the fresh blackberries off the vine) My mother-in-law gets a big laugh everytime we visit (she is the one that intro us to it but works so much she hasnt had much time to get very involved her first trip is going to b w us the last weekend in feb and were all6 going to a city bout 40 mile from us we havent been to yet that has bout 200 caches) both my boys are quick to tell her all about our recent finds and its funny to listen to them tell you all about geocaching and we've had to explain what it is to quite a few people cause they expect everyone we know to know what geocaching is. lol

Some tips.

Have them get used to carrying a hiking stick when you go into the woods/rock crops, and teach them to poke around for snakes and other creatures before they stick their hands into crevices and the like.

In urban areas, don't let them stick their hands in dark places (e.g. lamp skirt hides); this is where black widows like to hide.

Go go to poisonivy.aesir.com and show them what plants to avoid.

Get them their own hydration packs.

Get them hiking boots; Hi-Tek makes some good affordable kiddie ones.

Edited by Chuy!