2900 mHA NiMH Batteries Ain't So Great in Colorado

Didjerrydo

I just purchased 8 2900 mAh NiMH batteries from the Battery Barn for my Colorado 300 thinking that since they were 2900 mAh that they'd perform similar to Lithium AA's which are 2900 also. Boy was I dissapointed! These things are good for about 2-4 hours at best. Of course I know that the Colorado's seem th have issues with rechargables but I thought this was a bit ridiculous. The only good thing was they were cheap (about $7.95 for 4). Has anybody else tried these batteries and had any better luck?

Edited by Didjerrydo

Also, make sure you've updated the Colorado to the most current firmware if you haven't already. The 400t's had horrible battery life on rechargables (about a 2 hour max) before they'd shut down due to bad measurement of the voltage. The current firmware (2.30) makes a big difference. Still not as good as it should be, but much better than originally. I can now get 4-8 hours depending on backlight and compass use. I imagine the 300 is the same and would help this issue a lot with the firmware update.

You can get it from the downloads section on Garmin's web site. Sorry, I'm on a portable right now, so can't get the link for you.

I'm using 2500mAh Nimh Energizers in my Colorado 400t. One pair lasts for a day of geocaching. Since the batteries come in a 4 pack, I just carry the other two in my jacket or pack. I did the same when I had a Legend, so it isn't a big deal.

I'm using the Nimh setting on the Colorado, not alkaline. The backlight is set to turn off after a minute and when it's on it's on full.

I found that "off brand" rechargeable batteries, regardless of the claims about them, did not work very well in my GPS units. I use them in other things around my house.

The new Rayovac Hybrids, or other Hybrid batteries like the Eneloop brand, are probably a much better choice for use in GPS units.

I just purchased 8 2900 mAh NiMH batteries from the Battery Barn for my Colorado 300 thinking that since they were 2900 mAh that they'd perform similar to Lithium AA's which are 2900 also. Boy was I dissapointed! These things are good for about 2-4 hours at best. Of course I know that the Colorado's seem th have issues with rechargables but I thought this was a bit ridiculous. The only good thing was they were cheap (about $7.95 for 4). Has anybody else tried these batteries and had any better luck?

BRAND NEW rechargeables never, never give full capacity, they need to be 'cycled' ie. charged and

discharged several times to get 'broken in', avoid quick chargers, heat kills the chemistry. In a cheap

charger only charge like branded & mah. rated batteries at the same time, that's not so, if, there's a

separate charging circuit for each cell.

Norm