Paperless Geocaching with a Tom Tom 720

DrWevil

I found this handy little feature of a Tom Tom 720 that allows you to go paperless Geocaching.

What you need:

1. Premium Account at www.geocaching.com and an account at GCA (for all you Aussies)
    GSAK from gsak.net
    Your Tom Tom 720 plugged into and connected to your PC

How to do it:

1. Load all you GPX files into GSAK
    Under the "File" Menu select "Export"
    Select "HTML File"
    A dialog box will pop up:
    Type or Browse to the "Text" folder on your Tom Tom 720
    Click on the "Generate" button
    Wait patiently for GSAK to finish.

Out in The Field:

1. Tap the screen
    Under "Music and Media" select "Document Folder"
    You should see a folder called "Cache" if you havent unchecked the "Create folder called cache option"
    Select that
    Using the down arrow fine the Index file. (It will probably be at the end)
    Select that
    You will see a menu that you have just generated from GSAK and exported to your Tom Tom 720

You can scroll up and down a zoom in out and all the links work.

If you zoom in one or two steps and use a stylus its a bit easier to navigate around. But all you Cache info is there.

Its a bit cumbersome but it does work.

If you dont want to save directly onto your Tom Tom then pick a folder and copy the created "cache" folder to the Text folder on your Tom Tom 720.

I have no idea if this will work on other Tom Tom Models. Do so at your own risk.

Enjoy

DrWevil

Standard Disclaimer:

Don't hold me responsible if you stuff things up. I highly recommend backing up your Tom Tom Before you start for if things go seriously wrong then you can restore it. If you don't back up first and things go pear shaped don't come running to me.

Also if find any errors please email me and ill fix it.

Edited by DrWevil

There are better ways to go Paperless Caching but if you are a poor bugger like me and dont have a PDA or whatever but do have a Tom Tom 720.

I do have a lap top but that is way too heavy to lug around. Plus its a but hard to look descrete caching with a laptop. :huh:

Ik heb met aandacht deze info (en heel wat andere op diverse andere fora) gelezen, maar mij is nog niet alles duidelijk... Ik zie door al die bomen niet goed meer waar ik de cache moet zoeken ;)

Ik ben op zoek naar een oplossing op korte termijn op paperless te geocachen.

Het enige wat voor mij momenteel van belang is dat ik de caches via een pda (of iets anders?) kan lezen. GPS is niet vereist, ik gebruik mijn huidige gps wel (Garmin Etrex).

Wat zijn de 'minimumvereisten' van zo'n pda om paperless te geocachen (ik zou graag de beschrijvingen voor ik op reis vertrek uploaden op de pda).

Ik zag ook een filmpje op Youtube over paperless geocachen met een TomTom Go 630 (ik beschik over een Tomtom XL - maar die functie - behalve opladen van de POI-files zie ik geen mogelijkheid om de html ook op te laten op mijn TomTom - of indien die er wel is vind ik de 'Map' niet waar ik die moet stockeren op de TomTom).

Kan iemand hier voor wat verheldering zorgen?

Bedankt!