Sorting and generating a single GPX file from a search/bookmark result

SriSoKoSu

I have two questions and will appreciate help from anyone in answering either of these.

1) Is there a way to generate a single GPX file that captures the results of a search ? I want to download all the caches hidden by a single user, and I am unable to create a user based pocket query; so I used the regular search feature (User (Hidden)) and while I see the results of the search, I don't see a way to download all of them easily so I can add them to my GSAK database.

2) When doing a regular search (or looking at caches from a bookmark listing), is there a way to change the sorting criteria of the displayed output ? Most of the time I want to sort it by distance (closest first) but I don't see a way how to do this.

Thanks for any pointers on how either of these can be done - either by using the built-in features of Geocaching.com or using a separate software (like GSAK).

1) About the only thing you can do is filter the search by Username and check all the boxes on each page generated and download a .LOC file for every page. GSAK will probably handle that, but I'm not a GSAK fan. GPSBabel will convert .LOC files into .GPX files tho. Others will have more ideas.

2)For a BOOKMARK, no sort. I just asked that question and did lots of research. Bookmarks are sorted alphabetical and that's it.

2) Doing a search from the Hide and Seek a cache page: All options under To locate the nearest geocaches in your area... are by distance. You can use Zip code, Address, Lat & Lon etc. From your accounts page just click either choice for distance 674727a5-16d9-45ed-97db-44446a0e519c.jpg

1) Is there a way to generate a single GPX file that captures the results of a search ? I want to download all the caches hidden by a single user, and I am unable to create a user based pocket query; so I used the regular search feature (User (Hidden)) and while I see the results of the search, I don't see a way to download all of them easily so I can add them to my GSAK database.

Unfortunately, there's not a quick fix for this. The best that you can hope for now to get a FULL gpx file instead of the loc is to bookmark the caches hidden by the particular user and use the bookmark list as a PQ source. You can get a pocket query of a bookmark list. Problem is that it won't update when there's new caches hidden by that user. :drama: You'd have to add them manually.

2) When doing a regular search (or looking at caches from a bookmark listing), is there a way to change the sorting criteria of the displayed output ? Most of the time I want to sort it by distance (closest first) but I don't see a way how to do this.

Not really. The regular search will return caches in a proximity order if you do a location based search. Search from a set of coordinates and you'll get them in proximity. Other searches (user name, political boundaries, etc.) sort by date placed.

Getting the data into GSAK will allow you to change the data sort and filters on the fly in micro-seconds, but of course you have to use the PQ to get them into GSAK.

1) About the only thing you can do is filter the search by Username and check all the boxes on each page generated and download a .LOC file for every page. GSAK will probably handle that, but I'm not a GSAK fan. GPSBabel will convert .LOC files into .GPX files tho. Others will have more ideas.

Thanks Rattlebars for the reply. I will look into GPSBabel. When GPSBabel converts the .LOC files into .GPX files, will it pull in the cache details, hints, logs etc. into the GPX file as well ?

2)For a BOOKMARK, no sort. I just asked that question and did lots of research. Bookmarks are sorted alphabetical and that's it.

Yeah. That's what it looks like. Although the workaround I use here is to create a PQ for the bookmark, then load the PQ GPX into GSAK and sort that. However, I really wish the website allowed a quick sort option (by clicking on the header field, maybe)

2) Doing a search from the Hide and Seek a cache page: All options under To locate the nearest geocaches in your area... are by distance. You can use Zip code, Address, Lat & Lon etc. From your accounts page just click either choice for distance 674727a5-16d9-45ed-97db-44446a0e519c.jpg

Yes, I noticed this, but unfortunately I can't do a user based search this way :drama:

If you have GSAK you don't need GPSBabel. It's built into GSAK. GSAK will load .LOC files.

.LOC files are limited and have only the name & link. No description, hints, etc.

Here's a single .LOC entry followed by a single .GPX entry of the same geocache (GC16P0X):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">
<waypoint>
<name id="GC16P0X"><![CDATA[Forbidden Road by CharlesIsland]]></name>
<coord lat="41.017383" lon="-80.71855"/>
<type>Geocache</type>
<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC16P0X</link>
</waypoint></loc>

=========================================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" version="1.0" creator="Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved. [url="http://www.Groundspeak.com""]http://www.Groundspeak.com"[/url] xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 [url="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd"]http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd[/url] [url="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0"]http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0[/url] [url="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/cache.xsd""]http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/cache.xsd"[/url] xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0">
 <name>Cache Listing Generated from Geocaching.com</name>
 <desc>This is an individual cache generated from Geocaching.com</desc>
 <author>Account "CharlesIsland" From Geocaching.com</author>
 <email>contact@geocaching.com</email>
 <url>http://www.geocaching.com</url>
 <urlname>Geocaching - High Tech Treasure Hunting</urlname>
 <time>2008-02-02T03:28:14.0708047Z</time>
 <keywords>cache, geocache</keywords>
 <bounds minlat="41.017383" minlon="-80.71855" maxlat="41.017383" maxlon="-80.71855" />
 <wpt lat="41.017383" lon="-80.71855">
   <time>2007-10-14T00:00:00</time>
   <name>GC16P0X</name>
   <desc>Forbidden Road by CharlesIsland, Traditional Cache (5/1.5)</desc>
   <url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a7903858-c6d8-4260-b516-702a958ebec1</url>
   <urlname>Forbidden Road</urlname>
   <sym>Geocache Found</sym>
   <type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>
   <Groundspeak:cache id="712317" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">
     <Groundspeak:name>Forbidden Road</Groundspeak:name>
     <Groundspeak:placed_by>CharlesIsland</Groundspeak:placed_by>
     <Groundspeak:owner id="1048643">CharlesIsland</Groundspeak:owner>
     <Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:container>Other</Groundspeak:container>
     <Groundspeak:difficulty>5</Groundspeak:difficulty>
     <Groundspeak:terrain>1.5</Groundspeak:terrain>
     <Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>
     <Groundspeak:state>Ohio</Groundspeak:state>
     <Groundspeak:short_description html="True">Placed with permission this cache is located in one of the best
State Nature Preserves around. Please tread lightly in this area.
There is no need to bushwack to this cache.</Groundspeak:short_description>
     <Groundspeak:long_description html="True"><b>This trail intersects the Forbidden Road.</b> Legend has it that
Charles Island's horse drawn, carriages traveled this road, 100s of
years ago. It was at this very spot that they were under attack
from local bandits. Charles Island and his company were never seen
again. Charles Island's Treasure Chest was also missing and has
never been found since.</Groundspeak:long_description>
     <Groundspeak:encoded_hints>Use Eagle Vision</Groundspeak:encoded_hints>
     <Groundspeak:logs>
       <Groundspeak:log id="37608419">
         <Groundspeak:date>2008-01-12T20:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="91931">alanfreed</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">The trails were very slippery today!  We were pretty well covered in several colors of mud by the time we got back to the car!

We found the cache pretty quickly, but it was clearly not set up the way it was intended.  I put it back in such a way that it won't go wildly out of place, but the cache owner will definitely want to visit it and make appropriate fixes to it.  I would have put it back as intended, but I'm not quite sure exactly how it was intended to be hidden.</Groundspeak:text>
       </Groundspeak:log>
       <Groundspeak:log id="37177224">
         <Groundspeak:date>2008-01-01T20:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="44637">the hiking viking</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">[b]W00T! Out with JetMonkey doing some New Years Day caching, in the Snow! W00T! This cache was 1 of our 42 finds today. W00T![/b] Looks like we found it out of place. Looked things over, saw what was supposed to be and made things right. On our way. Enjoyable walk back here, the snow made the preserve look beautiful. Nice work by God's hand here today. []Thanks for the hide! the hiking viking</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="37165135">
         <Groundspeak:date>2008-01-01T20:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="267621">JetMonkey</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">One of 42 finds today while out doing some New Year's Day caching with the mighty Hiking Viking! Found this cache after a short search. After inspecting the hiding set-up we determined that the cache probably wasn't in it's intended place, after looking things over we were able to figure out the intent of this hide and re-hid it accordingly.

TFTC, it was a good start to the new year!</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="36351463">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-12-12T20:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="336451">Rattlebars</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">This one was HARD to find, but I managed to find it.  Devilish as my grandma would say.

I sure did like the Forbidden Road story and since it was getting VERY dark.... I got a little spooked!  I love the stories Mr. Island includes with many of his caches. 

TFTC! [b][red]RATTLEBARS![/b][/red]</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="35894772">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-11-25T20:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="743088">n8lgp</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Out caching with Ted W8TTS, Bryan KF8G, Bruce AK8B. This was our first trip to the Youngstown area and we had a ball.We ended up with 41 for the day. TFTC---Thanks for the FUN !!!---Steve, N8LGP</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="35854307">
         <Groundspeak:finder id="825777">ak8b</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">A marathon cache day in the Youngstown area with N8LGP, W8TTS, and Bryan KF8G. A well deserved 5 rating for this sneaky little hide. Thanks!
</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="35853633">
         <Groundspeak:finder id="207205">W8TTS</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Was out caching in the Youngstown area today and was able to grab 41 caches.  This was one of them.  The 41 also included my 1,000th CACHE!  TFTC/TFTF TNLNSL

This was one VERY tricky hide.  One of the best I've seen.  Something I learned in Boy Scouts helped with this one.
       <Groundspeak:log id="35851796">
         <Groundspeak:finder id="150971">Bryan KF8G</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">15:04 Ted gets the find of the day by spotting this one.[b]Thank you for the fun!  [8D][/b]</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34704820">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-29T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="31305">Ed_S</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I did this one without MollyPup, since no pets are permitted in the area. This one was about to drive me crazy, so I phoned Pyro365 and asked him, "What size is this doggone thing?" so I'd have some idea how it might be hidden. 

This is a sneaky hide!! Although I would have sworn otherwise before I found it, the coordinates put me very close. 

Thanks for the cache!

Ed_S from Youngstown OH

<Groundspeak:log id="34585440">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-27T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Didn't find it</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="591983">Muddy Dawgs</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Looked for quite a while but could not come up with this one.  Well, found the rest of the caches in this interesting park.</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34208896">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-19T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="72832">Z-trekrs</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">  Tough cache, but we overcame. SL. Thanks CI for an interesting afternoon. </Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34205492">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-19T21:54:42</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Enable Listing</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="1048643">CharlesIsland</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">game on</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34200518">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-19T19:15:47</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Temporarily Disable Listing</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="1048643">CharlesIsland</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">got some maintenance</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34153280">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-17T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Didn't find it</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="72832">Z-trekrs</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">  WOW!! 3 C I DNF in one day. Not a good day.

[This entry was edited by Z-trekrs on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 4:38:09 PM.]</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34127537">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-17T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="357135">CarlfromOH</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Well, Pyro 365, there IS no indication of size (I checked) so that wouldn't have helped!

I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd get FTF.  But NNNNOOOOOOO!  It took me about 2 minutes (really, Ed_S) to spot this one once at GZ.  As I was retrieving it I expected to see another cacher come down the trail.  None showed up!  So as I opened the log my excitement increased, only to be dashed on the rocks!  Turns out Pyro365 beat me by 2 full hours!  Oh well, it is still a good hide.  Thanks for another chance to take a walk in this place.

TNLNSL[]</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34120498">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-16T19:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="581131">Pyro365</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I started this one off with just the cords, forgot to look at the cache size and the difficulty rating before I left(dumb idea)[:I]
When I reached the trail split I had to think, do I want to go right, or go left? I always pick the wrong direction anyway....well, I did as usual. This was my first full lap on this very nice trail, lol
When I reached GZ I had no idea what I was looking for, but I guess that's why I love doing this. I looked for the first 30 minutes or so and was about ready to give up when I remembered a good tip from the great Ed_S
"hang around long enough and the cache will get tired of you and make its self visible" Thanks Ed, it really works
Great hide, I really enjoyed my day of caching today []
Sure, I'll take another FTF. </Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="34097331">
         <Groundspeak:date>2007-10-16T14:22:29</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Publish Listing</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="1196344">skeetsurfer</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Published</Groundspeak:text>
     </Groundspeak:logs>
     <Groundspeak:travelbugs />
   </Groundspeak:cache>
 </wpt>
</gpx>

The $3.00/mo premium membership gets ya the BIG one!

Edit to fix word wrap.

Edited by Rattlebars