Tracks - Combining ?

lucey

Highlight the tracks you want to combine, then right click and select "Join the selected tracks".

gps5.gif

Okay i see how you did that with an active log, but on my software the join track is not there. I have lets say two track one called "X" and one called "Y" They both have there own points throughout each track. I tried the copy and paste idea but i always get a long line from the end of X to the beginning of Y which i don't want. I want to be able to take all the points from X and Y and post them on the map with one name. Any ideas ? I just do not see the join feature ???

Thaks

Okay i updated my software and now i see the join under right click. BUT when i select X and Y and hit the right button the join feature is not highlighted bold. There has got to be a way to join three separate tracks under one name without the end of one going to the beginning of the other (i get a long straight line between tracks-Beginning to end)

:unsure: I spent a few hours joining up a large series of track stutters (walk in light bush, 60CS) last night. Then saw this thread, and checked the menu. When did that appear!!??!! :unsure:

So how are you actually joining ? My tracks actually have names not just "Active Log". That is the only difference i see. Why will my join not become selected after i highlight the tracks i want to join ?

Edited by lucey

:D I spent a few hours joining up a large series of track stutters (walk in light bush, 60CS) last night. Then saw this thread, and checked the menu. When did that appear!!??!! :D

So how are you actually joining ? My tracks actually have names not just "Active Log". That is the only difference i see. Why will my join not become selected after i highlight the tracks i want to join ?

No one knows ?????

:D I spent a few hours joining up a large series of track stutters (walk in light bush, 60CS) last night. Then saw this thread, and checked the menu. When did that appear!!??!! :D

I had been Cntl-C copying each track segment 'Active Log nn1'; opening the new track, clicking on the <end> point then Cntl-V; close the new track, back to 'Active Log nn2'; and repeat. eusa_wall.gif Now, shift-click all the track logs I want, and right-click to get the 'Join the selected tracks' option. Then rename the new track that was created.

No one knows ?????

Are you saving the tracks to your GPS unit/card before you load them into MapSource? You might try not doing that.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Okay i updated my software and now i see the join under right click. BUT when i select X and Y and hit the right button the join feature is not highlighted bold. There has got to be a way to join three separate tracks under one name without the end of one going to the beginning of the other (i get a long straight line between tracks-Beginning to end)

I don't quite get what you are trying to do. By joining the tracks, you are making one track the continuation of the other.

However, with respect to the right click join feature being greyed out, you also have the option of using the track tools in the button bar. The track join tool looks like a squiggly "S" with a plus sign in the middle. It will help you join two tracks from one end to the other (start to start, end to start, end to end, etc.). The other tools there will help you modify your tracks but cutting them up, modifying oindividual points, drawing new tracks, etc. In combination, they might help you do what you are trying.

Edited by dogwalkers2

There has got to be a way to join three separate tracks under one name without the end of one going to the beginning of the other (i get a long straight line between tracks-Beginning to end)

I'm sorry, but what you are asking makes no sense. If you "join" the tracks, then they are then "one" track, so there must be a line from the end of one to the start of the other. With no line, they are separate tracks...

Anyway. To join tracks, you use the "join" tool. Under Tools, or highlight the track you want and press "j", then choose the end of the track you want to join to.

All i wanted to do was to be able to add one track i saved to another track in the same riding area and save it all under one name for the entire riding area. I don't want to retrace the entire track nor do i want a line going from the end of one track to the beginning of another. It is just clutter. I guess Garmin needs a little work on their software, it seems very primitive for such a great GPS device such as the Rino 530. Not enough features for all aspects of its use. Thanks for all the help !

You have four choices of where to add the tracks when you copy/paste. At the beginning; at the end; then invert them and paste at the beginning, then the end again.

You can save multiple track segments under one file name, but they cannot be combined as a single track segment with breaks. When a trail is dis-continuous, and you are mapping them, it will result in multiple track segments. When you are hiking or riding on trail sections and turning the Garmin on and off between each trail section, that segments the tracklog.

The only way to combine the Trip Data of the multiple trail hike/rides, is by using something like Microsoft Excel spread sheet, to add up total time, distance, and average speed using Excel. I have done this before by adding multiple tracks into Excel to see how much hiking I did at Cedar Point Roller Coaster park in Ohio

One program you can experiment with is called G7ToWin.exe

In just about any map program, the trail sections, when added together, will add the distance between the trail sections, which will cause the map programs to over estimate the distance you went, so you will need to add up the Trip data manually using a spreadsheet.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Lets say, you did a hike in 5 different cities, and had the Garmin turned off between each hike, and you used a different GPS for driving, so your Hiking GPS then downloaded on the computer would have an active tracklog broken into 5 track segments, and you would not want to add the gaps between the trails, that are in different cities. Is there software that can add up the distance hiked of all 5 trails without adding the distance between cities? If somebody could write software to calculate Trip info from multiple tracks that would be cool, and I been looking for something like that since the year 2000 at least. Maybe fitness software but I'm just guessing.

Lets say, you did a hike in 5 different cities, and had the Garmin turned off between each hike, and you used a different GPS for driving, so your Hiking GPS then downloaded on the computer would have an active tracklog broken into 5 track segments, and you would not want to add the gaps between the trails, that are in different cities. Is there software that can add up the distance hiked of all 5 trails without adding the distance between cities? If somebody could write software to calculate Trip info from multiple tracks that would be cool, and I been looking for something like that since the year 2000 at least. Maybe fitness software but I'm just guessing.

Garmins keep tracks separate automatically. If you turn it off or you lose satellite coverage you will get separate tracks. Magellans have 1 big track and will draw a line from point a to point b if the GPSr is turned on within something like a few hours of when it was turned off.

There are programs to manipulate tracks. EasyGPS, G7toWin, GSAK (I think), GPSBable, Magellan MapSend, Garmin MapSource.

In MapSend you can export the track as Excel csv and do the manipulating on your own.

I've known about track editing for years, but I finally figured out the problem here is that mapsource is having trouble with combining certain tracks.

I had trouble back this past summer where I was hiking trails to be able to map them into mapsource and Topofusion, and there was one section of a trail, where I had sidetracted over to a Dairy Queen, for a cold drink, and when I got back to Mapsource, I snipped the tracklog in half, then cut out the Dairy Queen sidetracking out, then re-combined the Tracklog to form the Trail (It was a Rail-To-Trail path), and when I recombined the track, I got errors. I don't know if it was having to do with the time-stamping of the trackpoints, that did not agree, when I snipped out the Dairy Queen sidetrack. Was never able to get it to work in Mapsource without the errors. The Gap in Time was about a half hour, and somehow the track would not re-combine, when I snipped the half hour sidetrack out of it. I think I had to fudge the track somehow with the Draw Tools, but can't remember.

I remember now, I was not able to display the combined tracklog in Topofusion, with the half-hour sidetracking cut out of it using Mapsource.

Edited by GOT GPS?

regarding post 15, Got GPS?:

Have you tried the program: SportTracks? I believe that it will do what you want. I know that when you connect it to a Garmin, it loads only the active Log, not any saved logs. It will give you the total for all separate hikes (when you turn off the unit in between.)

TrainLove: The Magellan logging as one big track can be an advantage. An example is when you go on a multi-day hike. Turn the GPSr off when you stop for the night and turn it on the next morning, and you will have one big track. Also, you can save a track any time, and it will log the time stamps for each track point, and will continue logging the total trip. I used this feature last weekend, when I did a hike, saved the track, then drove to another location, and did another short hike. I saved the total track to a file because I took photos in both locations, and used it to geotag the photos in both locations.

TrainLove: The Magellan logging as one big track can be an advantage. An example is when you go on a multi-day hike. Turn the GPSr off when you stop for the night and turn it on the next morning, and you will have one big track. Also, you can save a track any time, and it will log the time stamps for each track point, and will continue logging the total trip. I used this feature last weekend, when I did a hike, saved the track, then drove to another location, and did another short hike. I saved the total track to a file because I took photos in both locations, and used it to geotag the photos in both locations.

Yes I know. Thanks.

I've actually got 3 or 4 track logs, suitably edited down to their specific journeys listed in my gallery photos. I occasionally save the tracks to SD card, and use GPSBabel to convert them, but I mostly download serially to my computer into MapSend Topo and do the manipulation after exporting as a CSV file in Excel and import back, I find this to be much easier.

All i wanted to do was to be able to add one track i saved to another track in the same riding area and save it all under one name for the entire riding area. I don't want to retrace the entire track nor do i want a line going from the end of one track to the beginning of another. It is just clutter. I guess Garmin needs a little work on their software, it seems very primitive for such a great GPS device such as the Rino 530. Not enough features for all aspects of its use. Thanks for all the help !

To me it sounds like you want to add tracks from one ride to another ride to make a master file of all your rides.

Open two instances of Mapsource...

Mapsource one....open previous tracks

Mapsource two...open tracks you want to add to previous tracks. Copy and paste to Mapsource one.

Edited by rws