Benchmarks...

wwflover13

Disk Stamping

The stamps I used are 1/4" - I'm probably going to go back and get the 1/8" ones too, since these are a bit big.

I tried to get "GEOCAC" on there, but all I could get was "GEOC".

Take block of wood, drill stem-sized hole:

2250962157_5c42e2e6a2_m.jpg

Make sure the depth is correct:

2250962161_91e6897a1e_m.jpg

Once that is done, put disk in the block and stamp it:

2250962163_7cc6a30a06_m.jpg

And then you have a (almost) perfectly stamped benchmark:

2250962153_d3c0193afe_m.jpg

Disk Setting

Sorry I don't have many pictures right now, but I will get back there soon and take some better ones.

I tried without sucess to find a good rock outcrop, so it was set in an old abandoned dam instead.

Approximate coords are:

N 35 36.725

W 078 54.392

Drill the hole and chisel a recess around it:

2251758688_4daa6cb8ef_m.jpg

Cement in place, wipe disk clean:

2251758692_b2064c49d2_m.jpg

Immediate area - the dark spot is from water I poured on the dam:

2251758694_737f2bfac2_m.jpg

Area overview:

2251758698_a2c1324ff7_m.jpg

My impression also is that there are a number of monument companies that supply surveyors and government, but that none of them go back a long ways. For example in BLM (Cadastral Survey), before 1980 or so, large contracts were let for monuments and that the suppliers were probably not currently existent vendors. I think one of the last big contracts was with some mom and pop organization in WA state(something like 3000 posts and caps).

After a long tradition of BLM monument materials testing and evaluation, BLM evolved to acquiring monuments in smaller quantities from commercial vendors which had emerged in the market for particular needs of the region and soils. We had problems with some soils, aluminum was tested for a while and found wanting in some places and fine in others. PVC was even tested. One of the better monuments found used a stainless steel pipe, and many of the more modern types created and tested for evaluation in that 1980's time frame were supplied by Bernsten. The company has provided some public information that was inaccurate about their role in that period, but that is another story I won't go into. BLM certainly does a lot of business with them and they provide a quality product.

- jlw

Regarding disc manufacturers:

One that I know of (and has been around a long time), and I think has done discs for NGS and other survey related US Gov't agencies is Berntsen.

Berntsen (a great company!) was founded in the early 70's I believe - I believe they do (did) the modern (NGS) ones - I'm most curious about the older USC&GS ones.. .I'm sure some of the companies may not be in busines any longer..

If anyone has a photo of one of these old USC&GS disks with the flat top I’d love to see it (I don’t have one in my collection and I’ve never seen one!).

Here is another one of about the same vintage.

dc6cabc6-a6e7-4b61-83bc-59dcb3ed971a.jpg

It looks almost the same as the one Papa Bear posted, but has a circle around the center. This was formerly RK0171. Took me three tries to track that one down. Since it was destroyed when I found it, the disk is now on my desk at home. I can post photos of the disk now that it's been cleaned up a bit. This photo was right after I dug it up.

wwflover,

For what purpose are you setting these?

We are going to have the GEOCAC benchmark(s) we set added to the NGS Data base.

Just curious.

No real purpose, except for fun and the experience. Should I ever want to apply for a job with a survey crew, this would be a nice addition to my resume. Also, I heard that there is going to be a secondary database available from the NGS sometime, so I may submit the benchmarks I set for inclusion in that.

Update

I went back today to take more pictures and better GPS readings, here's what I got:

(click images for bigger pics)

2260562951_14a21519c5_m.jpg

2260562955_1d9b105378_m.jpg

2260562959_fe3f845d8a_m.jpg

2260562965_dfd236f81f_m.jpg

2260562969_eb59103bef_m.jpg

2260562973_5995b5eeff_m.jpg

N 35 36.726

W 078 54.395

(click here for google maps)

Elev. +276 FT.

STATION IS APPROXIMATELY 630 FEET SW FROM A CREEK CROSSING ON REX ROAD, 215 FEET DOWNSTREAM OF A CONFLUENCE OF TWO CREEKS, 10 FEET SOUTH OF A 20-INCH TREE, AND MOUNTED IN THE TOP OF A 3 FOOT HIGH CONCRETE WALL ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE CREEK. MARK IS A 2-INCH ALLUMINUM DISK, STAMPED -GEOC-

wwflover,

Just curious.

No real purpose, except for fun and the experience. Should I ever want to apply for a job with a survey crew, this would be a nice addition to my resume. Also, I heard that there is going to be a secondary database available from the NGS sometime, so I may submit the benchmarks I set for inclusion in that.

Thanks.

A secondary data base?

Do you have any more info on that?

wwflover,

Just curious.

Thanks.

A secondary data base?

Do you have any more info on that?

I don't recall much about it, other than there will be another NGS database for marks that either don't have enough data collected on them or aren't set to NGS standards to be in the regular database. I can't remember where I heard about this, but I think it was about a week or two ago...

Edited by wwflover13

If anyone has a photo of one of these old USC&GS disks with the flat top I’d love to see it (I don’t have one in my collection and I’ve never seen one!).

GeorgeL

NGS

Hi George

This is late in coming, but I realize I have another one of these: a reference mark from 1913 (based on the style and recover logs). The dates stamped on it are "1860 1935". Not sure who stamped this and when, but the disk is certainly from prior to 1918 since it is described in special publication #46 (Triangulation of Maine, 1918). The station was established in 1860, but besides not finding the station then, I'm not sure what the significance of "1935" is. These dates through me off until I wondered why the two reference disks were do dissimilar and why the very early recoveries mention the "reference disk" not disks. The other one (No. 2) wasn't set till 1960.

Anyway it's from station PD0690 "QUODDY" which I found on my trip to Maine and Canada last September.

Here it is:

87ab732c-c906-414b-8d0f-a2c0295efe93.jpg

For reference, here's the photo from Special Publication #46 (1918):

b7e02070-4948-4312-8cb5-e3132438e271.jpg

Besides being flat topped, the key is the word "SUPERINTENDENT" on the disk. This was replaced by "DIRECTOR" on later disks (certainly by the 1930s). The long arrow is also distinctive. Later versions have shorter arrows.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC