Why is Virginia in the Northeast?

KJcachers

living below the Mason-Dixon line I always thought Virginia was in the south or at least the southeast or mid-atlantic region but I guess not according to Groundspeak. Time to trade in my southern accent for a more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh....can't get there from "he-ah" :smile:

Edited by KJcachers

living below the Mason-Dixon line I always thought Virginia was in the south or at least the southeast or mid-atlantic region but I guess not according to Groundspeak. Time to trade in my southern accent for a more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh....can't get there from "he-ah" :smile:

My guess is that since they have a New England section...

They chose Northeast for the Mid-Atlantic states...

Anyway... who cares? You have a forum...

It's just a name...

They could call it "Teddy" for all I care...

BTW Y'awl... the "more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh" would put you in the New England Forums...

Definately NOT the New Yawk to Vuhr-ginny Northeast Forums...

"It just doesn't matter, It just doesn't matter"... Bill Murray, "Meatballs" 1979

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

living below the Mason-Dixon line I always thought Virginia was in the south or at least the southeast or mid-atlantic region but I guess not according to Groundspeak. Time to trade in my southern accent for a more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh....can't get there from "he-ah" :D

Why is Virginia in the Northeast? Because it was in 2006, and it was in 2003. :D

Really, this has always been just the New Jersey forum, anyways. They just let other folks post here once in a while, if you don't get too far out of line. :smile:

Really, this has always been just the New Jersey forum, anyways. They just let other folks post here once in a while, if you don't get too far out of line. :drama:

I wondered about that. Are there really that many more of us in Jersey, or is it more that we don't shut up? :drama:

Who can understand us? We have no accent...

(FYI...people from New Jersey call it "New Jersey"...

people from Brooklyn call it "Joysey"...

people from the Bronx call it "da place across da bridge"...

people from Philladelphia call it "the way to get to Atlantic City")...

:drama::blink::o:):D

May as well be Greek to anyone else...

Contrary to popular belief...

The Mason-Dixon Line is NOT the demarkation line between the NORTH & SOUTH...

It was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute between the British colonies of Pennsylvania & Maryland.

It also marked the northern most line where salvery was in dispute...

(and Maryland sided with the anti-slavery states)...

To my knowledge, the slavery issue nor the Mason-Dixon Line does not enter into the GEOGRAPHICAL NORTH & SOUTH issue...

(if that were the case... half of Ohio, Indiana & Illinois would be in the SOUTH)...

and we are talking Northeast vs. Mid-Atlantic here anyway...

The Mid-Atlantic states are comprised of states above and below the Mason-Dixon Line...

Pure semantics... and not really worthy of discussion here...

It just doesn't matter...

living below the Mason-Dixon line I always thought Virginia was in the south or at least the southeast or mid-atlantic region but I guess not according to Groundspeak. Time to trade in my southern accent for a more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh....can't get there from "he-ah" :drama:

'casue half the people in Northen Virginia are from New Jersey anyway! :drama:

I guess the real reason is that the forums where created by a west coaster.

Although, I've seen NJ, PA, Del, MD, DC and VA categorized as Mid-Atlantic before, but never as NE.

Perhaps this is the *new* language of location! :drama:

I've often wondered the same thing. Any place they serve grits for breakfast isn't in the northeast.

Also, last time I looked, New England was in the northeast. I think forum is just not named correctly. If it was the Middle Atlantic Forum, that would be more accurate.

Edited by briansnat

Any place they serve grits for breakfast isn't in the northeast.

That would put Wildwood, NJ in the SOUTH...

(the rest of NJ calls it POLENTA)...

They even have scrapple there...

That's just fried grits (OK... POLENTA) mixed with sausage...

:drama::drama::drama::blink::o

as far as the grits vs. polenta thingy...

I liken that to what everyone calls calamari...

On the North Fork of LI we call it... BAIT...

At the supermarket calamari is $10.95 a pound...

at the BAIT store...

it's called squid and is $1.50 a pound...

same stuff... same package...

If I'm not mistaken they put West Virginia in the Northeast too.

Working for a marketing company, we had an interesting debate about this when we were classifying states into regions for a project.

If you go by the Mason-Dixon line, technically Maryland, DC and Delaware should be the "South" too, but I would hardly call at least the northern 1/3 of Delaware (essentially suburban/exurban Philly) "the South" and I really don't think Baltimore and DC are either.

Anyway, I put Virginia in the South and quite a few people argued that because so much of the population is now transplants in either Northern Virginia (DC area) or Virginia Beach area that it could be considered the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. I said that with this logic maybe North Carolina (my brother-in-law is one of many Northeast transplants there) should be too, but you have to draw the line somewhere. So for our project Virginia stayed in Dixie.

Maybe this was Groundspeak's logic? (Perhaps for West Virginia arguing that the northern panhandle is essentially exurbs of Pittsburgh and the eastern panhandle exurbs of Baltimore/DC nowadays)?

living below the Mason-Dixon line I always thought Virginia was in the south or at least the southeast or mid-atlantic region but I guess not according to Groundspeak. Time to trade in my southern accent for a more traditional Boston Drawl or DownEast Ayuh....can't get there from "he-ah" :D

'casue half the people in Northen Virginia are from New Jersey anyway! :lol:

I guess the real reason is that the forums where created by a west coaster.

Although, I've seen NJ, PA, Del, MD, DC and VA categorized as Mid-Atlantic before, but never as NE.

Perhaps this is the *new* language of location! :lol:

Actually, the creator of the forums is from Virginia. I believe Jeremy has posted before that he grew up in VA and has also lived in MD.

If I'm not mistaken they put West Virginia in the Northeast too.

West Virginia is in a unique situation. It extends further North than Philadelphia, so it has to be a northern state, but it extends further south than Richmond so it must be a Southern state. It extends well west of Cleveland so it must be a midwestern state, and of course it is only a few miles from Washington DC so it has to be an Eastern state. Go Mountaineers!!!!

Does it really matter???

I didn't think the OP's question was intended as a life or death issue. I took it as a "I'm just curious" question. And quite frankly, I've wondered the same thing.

I live in VA and would never think of it as being in the Northeast. I grew up thinking I was "from the South" and nowadays, at best, its Mid-Atlantic. We say "y'all" and drink iced tea (for the most part, sweetened, I'm sorry to say) and tawk about NASCAR. ;)

Personally I don't like grits but I will say life is not complete without a country ham biscuit in hand! Now that's good eats! ;)

I'm VA bred and born but I have visited the NJ Pine Barrens so does that allow me to post?

I am a born and bred Virginian and having Virginia in the Northeast forum is like putting Mexico in with a Canadian Forum.

This is ridiculous. Why is Kentucky in the South but not Virginia? Virginia is parellell to Kentucky and much more Southern too.

I can't believe this. My ancestors would be rolling in their graves if they saw this.

Contrary to popular belief...

The Mason-Dixon Line is NOT the demarkation line between the NORTH & SOUTH...

It was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute between the British colonies of Pennsylvania & Maryland.

It also marked the northern most line where salvery was in dispute...

(and Maryland sided with the anti-slavery states)...

To my knowledge, the slavery issue nor the Mason-Dixon Line does not enter into the GEOGRAPHICAL NORTH & SOUTH issue...

(if that were the case... half of Ohio, Indiana & Illinois would be in the SOUTH)...

and we are talking Northeast vs. Mid-Atlantic here anyway...

The Mid-Atlantic states are comprised of states above and below the Mason-Dixon Line...

Pure semantics... and not really worthy of discussion here...

It just doesn't matter...

Actually, it does matter. Most maps include Virginia as a South-Atlantic or Southeast state. And if we are Mid-Atlantic we are at the very southern tip of that.

But moreover- this has to do with cultural identity. As a Virginian , I would have much more in common with someone from Georgia or South Carolina than I would someone from New York or New Jersey.

Virginia is in the Upper South. Also- what confuses me is Kentucky is put in the Southeast?

Virginia is properly termed a 'South Atlantic State'. This is how I was taught in school, and this is most accurate, culturally, climate wise, and everything else.

southatlanticbw.GIF

Child, I'm from Richmond - just 75 miles from the NC line. We don't talk like yanks here. We drink sweet tea, know what grits are, and know that bbq is a noun, not a verb.

Take Virginia off this list!

Edited by vasinger

But moreover- this has to do with cultural identity. As a Virginian , I would have much more in common with someone from Georgia or South Carolina than I would someone from New York or New Jersey.

Virginia is in the Upper South. Also- what confuses me is Kentucky is put in the Southeast?

Virginia is properly termed a 'South Atlantic State'. This is how I was taught in school, and this is most accurate, culturally, climate wise, and everything else.

Child, I'm from Richmond - just 75 miles from the NC line. We don't talk like yanks here. We drink sweet tea, know what grits are, and know that bbq is a noun, not a verb.

;)

That's some good stuff!

I visit Fairfax county several times a year and travel to Richmond once or twice a year for work. From my limited experience in Richmond, that area is very "South"

Fairfax county on the other hand pretty much has a north east personality. :)

If the creator of these forums was born and bread in VA, he must have felt VA had a place in the North East forums. Go figure.

;)

That's some good stuff!

I visit Fairfax county several times a year and travel to Richmond once or twice a year for work. From my limited experience in Richmond, that area is very "South"

Fairfax county on the other hand pretty much has a north east personality. :)

If the creator of these forums was born and bread in VA, he must have felt VA had a place in the North East forums. Go figure.

I don't think Fairfax is necessarily "northeast" its just very transient with people from all over. Northern Virginia actually used to be very Southern .

Ironically, Richmond would be more southern than say, Atlanta or Nashville or Charlotte- I have been to those places and they just don't have that southern aura aboot them.

Northern Virginia may now be part of the Mid-Atlantic. But once you hit Richmond or , even Fredericskburg- You are in the South.

Richmond is more like the Old South in many ways, and the people I would say are very similar to Charleston, SC where I have met many people think I was from Charleston (I am from Richmond)..

But a lady from Savannah, GA asked me if I were from Virginia- and I said "yes" And she said 'Its nice to meet a fellow Southerner". So there you have it- if someone from South Georgia considers Virginia the South, than thats enough for me.

I will agree Virginia is as far north as you can get and still be in Dixie. I have no qualms about it being called Mid-Altantic- or kind of a state that laps over both the South and Mid-Atlantic, but this Northeast business is absurd.

I venture to guess a lot of people who move here just don't want to admit they live in a Southern state.

Edited by vasinger

OK, to stir the pot a bit...if you were born and raised in Minnesota and moved to Virginia does that make you a northerner or a mid westerner that moved to the south or the mid-atlantic or the northeast? :);):)

Good question. But can we at least have a Mid-Atlantic section or "Upper South" for us Virginians? I just can't for the life of me consider it the Northeast.

And also- why not move Kentucky to the Midwest? If by their reasoning. Since most all of Virginia and Kentucky are parellell to each other but Kentucky gets to be in the South and we dont?

What gives??? ;)

OK, to stir the pot a bit...if you were born and raised in Minnesota and moved to Virginia does that make you a northerner or a mid westerner that moved to the south or the mid-atlantic or the northeast? :):):)

Good question. But can we at least have a Mid-Atlantic section or "Upper South" for us Virginians? I just can't for the life of me consider it the Northeast.

And also- why not move Kentucky to the Midwest? If by their reasoning. Since most all of Virginia and Kentucky are parellell to each other but Kentucky gets to be in the South and we dont?

What gives??? ;)

I've lived in Texas, New Mexico, North Carolina, Maryland, Wisconsin, Illinois and now California so I'm not sure where the heck I'm from anymore. ;) I did grow up in Maryland and I agree that South or Mid-Atlantic makes the most sense for Virginia and even Maryland. My neighborhood in Maryland was built on land of a former Southern mansion. How much more evidence do y'all need? :)

OK, to stir the pot a bit...if you were born and raised in Minnesota and moved to Virginia does that make you a northerner or a mid westerner that moved to the south or the mid-atlantic or the northeast? :):):)

What gives??? ;)

I've lived in Texas, New Mexico, North Carolina, Maryland, Wisconsin, Illinois and now California so I'm not sure where the heck I'm from anymore. ;) I did grow up in Maryland and I agree that South or Mid-Atlantic makes the most sense for Virginia and even Maryland. My neighborhood in Maryland was built on land of a former Southern mansion. How much more evidence do y'all need? :)

Yes, most definitely. I would say Virginia is a true Southern state since it was in the Confederacy (Kentucky wasnt even in there and they got to be on the Southern forums, lol)

Maryland is a border state with strong Southern influences, I would put that in Mid-Atlantic. Virginia is Mid Atlantic overlapping into Southeast. Because Richmond/Va Beach and all is really Humid Subtropical climate there. I mean people grow palm trees in their yards in Richmond too- and its just nothing like the long hard winters of the Northeast here.

Shoot- there are cotton fields near me- just a county to my east. Yeah, cotton sure does really grow well in the Northeast :)

Edited by vasinger

OK, to stir the pot a bit...if you were born and raised in Minnesota and moved to Virginia does that make you a northerner or a mid westerner that moved to the south or the mid-atlantic or the northeast? :blink::laughing::D

What gives??? B)

I've lived in Texas, New Mexico, North Carolina, Maryland, Wisconsin, Illinois and now California so I'm not sure where the heck I'm from anymore. :laughing: I did grow up in Maryland and I agree that South or Mid-Atlantic makes the most sense for Virginia and even Maryland. My neighborhood in Maryland was built on land of a former Southern mansion. How much more evidence do y'all need? :D

Yes, most definitely. I would say Virginia is a true Southern state since it was in the Confederacy (Kentucky wasnt even in there and they got to be on the Southern forums, lol)

Maryland is a border state with strong Southern influences, I would put that in Mid-Atlantic. Virginia is Mid Atlantic overlapping into Southeast. Because Richmond/Va Beach and all is really Humid Subtropical climate there. I mean people grow palm trees in their yards in Richmond too- and its just nothing like the long hard winters of the Northeast here.

Shoot- there are cotton fields near me- just a county to my east. Yeah, cotton sure does really grow well in the Northeast :D

When I was a little bitty baby

My mama would rock me in the cradle,

In them old cotton fields back home;

It was down in louisiana,

Just about a mile from texarkana,

In them old cotton fields back home.

The South rises again--to get VA moved to a more appropriate regional group! haha! Rabblerousers!

I know that song! :drama:

I live in Richmond and I can tell you its Southern. Sickenly sweet iced tea, fried chicken, Cotillion, The Rivah, Buzz 'n' Neds BBQ (which won a throwdown with Bobby Flay so take yo' ol' NORTHEASTERN BBQ back home), "grits or biscuits" as your side choices for breakfast, country ham in every grocery store, Brunswick stew made by churches and firehouses, and pimento cheese sandwiches. Yum! Heck, half them thar Northerners have never even hud of pimento cheese! Heaven to Betsy! lol People you don't know wave and smile at you and most everybody will hold a door open for you, and folks say "please" and "thank you" without even thinking about it.

Exactly.

Hey they got chiggers, cedar swamp water, and mosquitos.. sounds like some parts of Virginia I've visited.

Haha--that's funny. Quite a few of the folks I was with in the Barrens got loaded with [Northern] chiggers. Down heyah, I was taught not to evah pick Queen Ann's Lace as its just gol' dern loaded with [southern] chiggers!

:drama:

The South rises again--to get VA moved to a more appropriate regional group! haha! Rabblerousers!

I know that song! :lol:

I live in Richmond and I can tell you its Southern. Sickenly sweet iced tea, fried chicken, Cotillion, The Rivah, Buzz 'n' Neds BBQ (which won a throwdown with Bobby Flay so take yo' ol' NORTHEASTERN BBQ back home), "grits or biscuits" as your side choices for breakfast, country ham in every grocery store, Brunswick stew made by churches and firehouses, and pimento cheese sandwiches. Yum! Heck, half them thar Northerners have never even hud of pimento cheese! Heaven to Betsy! lol People you don't know wave and smile at you and most everybody will hold a door open for you, and folks say "please" and "thank you" without even thinking about it.

Exactly.

Hey they got chiggers, cedar swamp water, and mosquitos.. sounds like some parts of Virginia I've visited.

Haha--that's funny. Quite a few of the folks I was with in the Barrens got loaded with [Northern] chiggers. Down heyah, I was taught not to evah pick Queen Ann's Lace as its just gol' dern loaded with [southern] chiggers!

:unsure:

Its almost no use. I talked to several moderators here and they wont budge. I even included maps and such pointing out how ridiculous it is to put Virginia in the Northeast (a case in point- the Northeast forums meetup is 11 hour drive from my Richmond, VA home whereas if it were in Raleigh, NC it would be a mere few hours)

So anyhow , its a lost cause. We will have to just pretend its a figment of our imagination.

Edited by vasinger

I know that song! :o

Exactly.

:)

Its almost no use. I talked to several moderators here and they wont budge. I even included maps and such pointing out how ridiculous it is to put Virginia in the Northeast (a case in point- the Northeast forums meetup is 11 hour drive from my Richmond, VA home whereas if it were in Raleigh, NC it would be a mere few hours)

So anyhow , its a lost cause. We will have to just pretend its a figment of our imagination.

Mopar explained on the other thread... that event is in the New England area... NOT the Northeast...

The GeoJamboree 2008 is in Connecticut, covered in the New England Forums...

and there are people that attend from a lot farther away than Richmond, Va...

I think two years ago there were cachers from as far away as Idaho or Montana in attendance...

The post in the Northeast Forums is for the many people here that do attend it...

No need for to say you will "not attend"...

might be something you would say if you had attended a previous GeoJamboree and can't make it this year...

And it really makes no differance... as long as you can communicate with people in your own area...

We live in NJ and if we want to see what's happening in Ct, Ma. or Vt... we just go to the New England forum...

If you want to communicate with people from NC... just go to the SE forum...

somebody has to live on the borders of the logical grouping of states here...

Groundspeak could name them the HARRY STATES and it would have the same effect...

It's an arbitrary logical grouping of states, with just a name, what the actual name is, is inconsequential...

Eighteen posts here as of this posting, and no geocaches to your name and all you can do is complain about Va. being in the NE forums...

Why are you even here if you don't Geocache???

Get a life...

or better yet, actually try geocaching...

get some finds... who knows? you might actually like it...

and then you would have something positive to post, as opposed to complaining...

If you had ANY geocache finds, you might actually have some semblance of creibility...

This forum is here for ACTUAL Geocachers...