Opinions: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx is equivalently the same as the the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx without the electronic compass or barometric altimeter. I was originally was going to buy the Legend HCx because I didn't have any interest in the compass or altimeter just the mapping capabilities; I was upgrading from my Magellan 310. However, when I went shopping online I was found the Vista HCx was actually cheaper at the time so I bought it instead. I have only used my Vista HCx a couple of times so far on geo caches, so I am still getting familiar with it and I am not sure whether the electronic electronic compass will be a benefit or just a gimmick like the altimeter. I could only recommend the Vista HCx over the Legend HCx if you think the electronic compass is essential or if you could get it for less then the Legend HCx.

I have been looking into upgrading from the Legend to the HCx as well. I am quite aprehensive though. The reason I want to upgrade is because of technical issues with my b&w legend. What concerns me is that the features that are failing on my old Legend are also on the HCx: The left and right on the thumbstick doesnt always work, the rubber on the outside is no longer attached, and the backlight washes out the screen. Is the HCx still a significant upgrade or will I run into the same technical problems that are driving my to replace my existing Legend?

Edit: To broaden it a bit, are these problems with any of the HC/HCX garmins (Vista, Summit, Legend, Venture)?

Edited by Bunganator

What concerns me is that the features that are failing on my old Legend are also on the HCx: The left and right on the thumbstick doesnt always work, the rubber on the outside is no longer attached, and the backlight washes out the screen. Is the HCx still a significant upgrade or will I run into the same technical problems that are driving my to replace my existing Legend?

For the better recception alone, the HCx is a huge improvement over the old blac&white Legend.

I have not had any problems with the click-stick on either the older or newer eTrex models, so I can't help you there.

The backlight does not wash out the screen at all -- the HCx screen is really nice, bright when you need it to be, and always very readable.

Unfortunately, the rubber-gasket design has not changed in the latest eTrex models, so there is still the possibility that the adhesive will fail and the gasket will loosen or detach completely. However, I'm holding out the hope that this won't be an issue on our HCx this time around. For our older models, in order for them to keep a satellite lock in the car, we had to set them on the dashboard or up in the sunroof -- very hot and sunny spots. I'm sure that that contributed greatly to the adhesive's failure. The HCx has such better reception that this is no longer necessary, so we can keep it in the shadier, cooler parts of the car without losing the lock.

What concerns me is that the features that are failing on my old Legend are also on the HCx: The left and right on the thumbstick doesnt always work, the rubber on the outside is no longer attached, and the backlight washes out the screen. Is the HCx still a significant upgrade or will I run into the same technical problems that are driving my to replace my existing Legend?

For the better recception alone, the HCx is a huge improvement over the old blac&white Legend.

I have not had any problems with the click-stick on either the older or newer eTrex models, so I can't help you there.

The backlight does not wash out the screen at all -- the HCx screen is really nice, bright when you need it to be, and always very readable.

Unfortunately, the rubber-gasket design has not changed in the latest eTrex models, so there is still the possibility that the adhesive will fail and the gasket will loosen or detach completely. However, I'm holding out the hope that this won't be an issue on our HCx this time around. For our older models, in order for them to keep a satellite lock in the car, we had to set them on the dashboard or up in the sunroof -- very hot and sunny spots. I'm sure that that contributed greatly to the adhesive's failure. The HCx has such better reception that this is no longer necessary, so we can keep it in the shadier, cooler parts of the car without losing the lock.

I went from an old blue Legend up to a Vista HCx last Father's Day. The reception is soo much better that you can obtain and hold a lock while inside your house (well at least my house) and you can hold a lock with the HCx in your coat pocket. I've not once lost a signal lock while in the field. The battery life in the HXc's is also excellent. The cold start-up time is good and my unit restarts from a battery change in under 15 seconds. I've only had one start-up problem (blank screen) with my HCx and a restart resolved that issue.

No click-stick problems for me and my gasket has already lasted longer (8 mos) that the one on my original Legend. Even if the gasket fails, Garmin will send you a gasket repair kit. Then again, if you have any problems in the first year, just send the unit into Garmin for an overhaul.

The only problem with the HCx's is that you will get so use to the features that you will be upset when future models don't offer the same features.

I think you will love either a Legend HCx or a Vista HCx.

Good luck making your decision and have fun playing with your new toy!!!!

I was wondering if i could gather some opinions on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.

I am looking to upgrade from a regular Garmin Legend. I would like something color and I do not have tons on money to spend on it, so to me the Legend HCx seems like my best deal.

Open to all comments please.

Do not even compare Legend with Legend H.

It is like comparing Yugo to Honda Accord.

I had Legend long time ago; replaced with Legend C, then with Legend H. Nothing was ever wrong with previous units.

- Color screen. Just a touch of color is Huge difference comparing to B&W. 256 different colors is enough for that small guy. Do not droll for 24bit graphics. On that small screen you do not need it.

- Memory: from 8Mb to 24Mb to unlimited?. Limited by micro SD capacity only, actually. Right now I have 2Gb and it is plenty for me. You can put all the maps you need. Not Want; need. If you live in NA it will take all City Nav 2008 NA. If you want to have topo and City Nav then you have to juggle a little bit since topo USA is space hog. If you travel frequently between NA and Europe, invest in 2 micro SD or just go for 4Gb.

- GPS Receiver is WAY more sensitive than Legend C or Legend.

- Battery life of >20 hours (no light, though). Nobody can match that.

As for Vista ‘features’ – compass and barometric altitude, well, real hiker never goes hiking without REAL magnetic compass. Forget about these electronic compasses. Real PITA. No electrons no compass. Battery dead - you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. Good night and Good luck. Barometric altitude? Hmm. What happens when atmospheric pressure start playing games? Recalibrate again?!?! Duh.

I would buy Legend H over and over again.

As not being early adopter (pay ME if you want me to test your new toys Garmin) I do not even think about Colorado. That is for hot blooded, ‘I have to have it’, ‘my willy is small so let me have NEW BIG GPS’ folks. Let them PAY to be guinea pigs for Garmin, Garmin will correct errors and then, only then I will take a look at it. Just a look.

I have both units. I have them on right now (1st floor middle room, 3 floor house). The HCx is giving me 22 ft accuracy. The original won't lock at all. In fact the original won't lock as I walk toward the window unless I press it against the glass..

The sensitivity is so much improved that it can not be under estimated. Also, the ability to load so many maps is awesome! No need to reload for every weekend trip.

As for the rubber pulling away from the unit. Let me tell you that it is a design nightmare and will likely happen with any small plastic unit with an adheared rubber shell. Especially one that tends to get tossed around and carried in backpacks, pockets, etc. Believe it or not those are quite abusive environments for such a small unit.

What makes the adhesive delamination issue even worse is the extreme temperature ranges. To hot and the adhesive softens above its glass transition temperature, too cold and it will become brittle, coupled with the differences in the coefficients of thermal expansion between plastic and rubber and you've seen the results.....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like you've gotten alot of use out of your unit and it's showing signs of age and maybe not design flaws.

Mike

P.S. I own an adhesive development company. We design materials for NASA, etc..