Mapsource Software Help

Kanga2Roos

I just purchased (well actually hubby got it for me) a Garmin Etrex Venture HC. I have a question about the software.. I looked at other topics already out there and didn't see it already discussed, but maybe I missed it, sorry if I did.

So my problems.. The Unlock Map feature. Should I have received a code with my Garmin to unlock something or is that for extra purchases? I was originally having problems with being able to open the unlock feature on the software at all and emailed the support people at Garmin. They sent me an email with a link to a software update. I can open the unlock map feature now... but what do I do now?

My other problem is with the routing feature, I have been trying to play with the routing feature, when I choose two points on the map the only that appears is a straight line. I read the instructions in the help section and it says that if I go to "Edit" then "Preferences" I should click on the routing tab and choose Auto-routing to generate turn by turn routes that follow streets and highways. Well when I go into preferences there is no "routing tab". Am I missing something?

I have sent another email to the software support at Garmin about these questions... but I thought I would ask about it here too.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. :smile:

My other problem is with the routing feature, I have been trying to play with the routing feature, when I choose two points on the map the only that appears is a straight line. I read the instructions in the help section and it says that if I go to "Edit" then "Preferences" I should click on the routing tab and choose Auto-routing to generate turn by turn routes that follow streets and highways. Well when I go into preferences there is no "routing tab". Am I missing something?

The Venture HC does not support auto-routing. From Garmin's Venture HC page, on the "Specs" tab:

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): no

Thanks to everyone who replied : ) I got an email back from the support guy and he said I can't use that routing thing unless I have City Navigator software. I am a little frustrated because clearly in the help section of my software it says that I can do that and how to. They should have specific directions for each software not just a general one that can confuse everyone. Of course I am probably only going to use the Garmin for caching so it's not a big deal. I just like to be able to figure out how things work and how to use it.

Thanks again for all your help! : )

Even if you had the City Navigator software, your unit is not capable of auto-routing. If you want a GPSr for this purpose you'll need one of the more expensive models. Don't get me wrong, the Venture HC (I have one) is a great unit for caching. If that's your main use, you should be fine. If you want to add maps to your unit, I would recommend the Topo 2008 maps.