Garmin Colorado with Heart Rate Monitor & Speed / Candence Sensor

Atschi

I am wondering if there are people around who already made some experience with the Garmin Colorado and the Heart Rate Monitor and/or the Speed/Cadence Sensor. I would be especially interested if both devices can be connected to the Colorado at the same time or there is just one connection at the time possible.

I really would appreciate your opinion because I am thinking about getting the Colorado together with those two gadgets mentioned.

Atschi

I am wondering if there are people around who already made some experience with the Garmin Colorado and the Heart Rate Monitor and/or the Speed/Cadence Sensor. I would be especially interested if both devices can be connected to the Colorado at the same time or there is just one connection at the time possible.

I really would appreciate your opinion because I am thinking about getting the Colorado together with those two gadgets mentioned.

Atschi

I've used it on my road bike, with the sensors that came with my 305. I don't yet have the handlebar mount for the Colorado, so I've only tried it on the trainer indoors, with the Colorado sitting on the table. It easily finds and pairs with the chest strap and cadence sensor, and displays both values on the screen (if you choose those parameters to display). And yes, it displays both at the same time, just like the Garmin fitness models.

I haven't had time to upload a log with HR and Cadence yet, so I don't know it it is storing the data properly for analysis in MotionBased or other tools. If it were warmer outside, I'd have done all this by now.

I'm told by Garmin Support that the Colorado will work with Garmin Connect "in a few months" when MotionBased is integrated with that site. Why it isn't functional with Motion Based now is a mystery. Makes the Heart rate and Cadence Monitor much less useful. Have you found anyway to review cadence/haertrate history?

Atschi

I've used it on my road bike, with the sensors that came with my 305. I don't yet have the handlebar mount for the Colorado, so I've only tried it on the trainer indoors, with the Colorado sitting on the table. It easily finds and pairs with the chest strap and cadence sensor, and displays both values on the screen (if you choose those parameters to display). And yes, it displays both at the same time, just like the Garmin fitness models.

I haven't had time to upload a log with HR and Cadence yet, so I don't know it it is storing the data properly for analysis in MotionBased or other tools. If it were warmer outside, I'd have done all this by now.

Wow this post was in February? Here it is Oct 31, still hasn't happened. I spoke to Garmin yesterday, they told me the Colorado will work in Garmin Connect by the middle of December - wouldn't commit to a day, so take that with a grain of salt.

The HR data is there, in current.gpx, but MapSource strips it out when importing. So about the only way I have found to access the HR data is to copy & convert current.gpx to a plain text file using GPS Visualizer. Then open the txt file in Excel for clean-up and analysis. GPS Visualizer also has a function to graph profiles, but it's a static png or jpg. Example: Oct 29 ride. You can use current.gpx directly, but the problem with that is it will graph everything in there, not just yesterday's ride.

All this is a lot of trouble. It makes no sense to me why no software application or online environment like MotionBased supports the Colorado. The gpx file data is simple, parsable XML, there is nothing "magic" about the Colorado or the way it records data. Frustrating! :) I guess we wait until mid-December and hope what they say is true.

Footnote: I almost bought one of the Edge models, but near as I can tell, the Edge doesn't do anything the Colorado can't, except upload to MotionBased.

I'm told by Garmin Support that the Colorado will work with Garmin Connect "in a few months" when MotionBased is integrated with that site. Why it isn't functional with Motion Based now is a mystery. Makes the Heart rate and Cadence Monitor much less useful. Have you found anyway to review cadence/haertrate history?

Atschi

Edited by MonkeyDawg

I am another user that is frustrated. But I have been searching and thanks to a posting on the Oregon Wiki Space (Thanks G-o-cacher), I found a piece of software that reads the current.gpx and will allow you to see the HRM data, export to .KML, .CSV and numerous others.

You can find it at the Italian site at;

http://www.visivaworld.it/blog.php/tcx-converter-by-ddaaxx

there is an English translation button on there somewhere. I like it so much I am thinking of a PayPal donation.

For what is worth.

...Brent...