Nudder newbie...

ubarw

Hi,

I am another newbie to geocaching. In reading all the stuff, I keep coming to a word that says watch out for muggles or something like that. Could you please tell me what that is?

Also, I have a Garmin 350 Nuvi that we use for traveling. Would this work for geocaching?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is so cool and overwhelming also...

I hope it was ok to use this forum for these questions.

Muggles is a term borrowed from Harry Potter and refers to anyone who isn't into geocaching who you might want to hide your activity from - think onlookers, or people who might see what you are doing and then go "muggle" or mess up the cache after you leave.

HERE is a link to one glossary that can be helpful.

Roundies- I wouldnt recommend that unit for geocaching. You can sometimes get into rugged terrain or wet conditions and in-car units arent designed for that kind of abuse.

Garmin makes several affordable units for hiking/backpacking/hunting/fishing that are great for geocaching. Some even have geocaching fetures built into them.

Garmin eTrex H, Garmin eTrex Legend, and Garmin eTrex Vista to name a few. they will withstand the abuse and occasional dropping that inevitably comes with caching.

Good luck and welcome!!

Edited by Mike and Mitya

Thanks to both of you. The info was very helpful. My daughter and I are going to try caching in our area. There are so many places just in a 20 mile radius of my house. It is amazing...

Our Garmin is portable, but I agree that we spent way to much money on it to ruin it.

Someone told me the yellow Garmin Xtrex was one that they liked. What is your favorite? Also, should we each have our own unit? I was told that would be best also.

I would really like to get the best for caching that I can and not want to upgrade right away.

I have a Garmin Vista HCx, but you wouldn't have to spend quite that much, since you don't need the auto-routing feature on your handheld GPS unit.

Check out the Garmin site and compare the newest 'H' units. I would recommend getting one that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial Port. Some of the best online places to get a handheld unit include OffRoute.com and TheNerds.com. If you want Topo maps on the handheld unit, you can get those on eBay for reasonable prices.

I'm relatively new to the sport too as you can see by my numbers to the left, but I feel like I'm getting pulled in more and more! Initially, I thought this would be more of a solo hobby for me, but my "Crew" has happily joined me on most outings, and they are having as much fun as I am. I wish I had gotten into this sooner! :drama:

I've seem folks out with the $100 GPS units and others out with the $500 GPS units, and it seems like they are all having equal fun! I was fortunate to get a relatively high end mapping unit as a gift, and it has a lot of cool features. It seems there is as much to do before and after the caching trip as there is during the caching trip. I enjoy that kind of thing, so the high end unit was was appropriate for me.

My neice has a really basic unit that she bought on EBay for under $100, and she has just as much fun as I do. In fact, my first caching outing was with her and crew, and her GPS unit got us to the cache just fine. The biggest difference I can see between her basic unit and my advanced unit is that I can download cache coordinates, while she needs to manually enter them, and while her maps are basic and fixed, I can add all sorts, from street maps to detailed topos to navigational maps.

I'm relatively new to the sport too as you can see by my numbers to the left, but I feel like I'm getting pulled in more and more! Initially, I thought this would be more of a solo hobby for me, but my "Crew" has happily joined me on most outings, and they are having as much fun as I am. I wish I had gotten into this sooner! :blink:

I've seem folks out with the $100 GPS units and others out with the $500 GPS units, and it seems like they are all having equal fun! I was fortunate to get a relatively high end mapping unit as a gift, and it has a lot of cool features. It seems there is as much to do before and after the caching trip as there is during the caching trip. I enjoy that kind of thing, so the high end unit was was appropriate for me.

My neice has a really basic unit that she bought on EBay for under $100, and she has just as much fun as I do. In fact, my first caching outing was with her and crew, and her GPS unit got us to the cache just fine. The biggest difference I can see between her basic unit and my advanced unit is that I can download cache coordinates, while she needs to manually enter them, and while her maps are basic and fixed, I can add all sorts, from street maps to detailed topos to navigational maps.

Roundies, I got my first 10 to 12 caches using a Nuvi. It can be done but check on the terrain and weather. I would stay away from caching in wet weather with the nuvi and try to avoid terrain that is too difficult. I love my Nuvi but once I leave the vehicle, I use my 60CSx.

Welcome! I am pretty new myself but am completely hooked!

Craig

C&S 143

I have a Garmin Vista HCx, but you wouldn't have to spend quite that much, since you don't need the auto-routing feature on your handheld GPS unit.

Check out the Garmin site and compare the newest 'H' units. I would recommend getting one that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial Port. Some of the best online places to get a handheld unit include OffRoute.com and TheNerds.com. If you want Topo maps on the handheld unit, you can get those on eBay for reasonable prices.

That would be: thenerds.NET, I believe. :blink::blink::cool:

Edited by Team Cotati

What type of GPS unit do you have? I have been looking on the offroute.com site, and really like the Garmin Vista HCx that Miragee has. It is really overwhelming though, all the units that are out there.

How do you know which is the newest line?

I would really like a unit that I will not want to upgrade soon, and something that is easy to learn how to operate. Electronic challenged ya know, but like all the bells and whistles.

I started with a Garmin eTrex Legend. Very basic model but for caching, it helped me find lots of em. Worked great, easy to learn.

Next was a Garmin eTrex Vista. Only difference from the Legend was the electronic compass (very nice for caching as it will work while you are standing still) and a barometric altimeter. Controls are exactly the same as the Legend, so another very easy one to operate.

Our newest is the Garmin GPSMap 60. Its not the color model but extremely easy to use. Also expandable and turn by turn capable.

Of all, Id say the GPSMap 60 is the easiest to learn and use but the Vista is better for newbies with the electronic compass (its the one my wife uses)

From what ive seen so far, electronic compass, plenty of memory, usp connectivity and "H" models are the way to go.

What price range are you looking in?

I started with a Garmin eTrex Legend. Very basic model but for caching, it helped me find lots of em. Worked great, easy to learn.

Next was a Garmin eTrex Vista. Only difference from the Legend was the electronic compass (very nice for caching as it will work while you are standing still) and a barometric altimeter. Controls are exactly the same as the Legend, so another very easy one to operate.

Our newest is the Garmin GPSMap 60. Its not the color model but extremely easy to use. Also expandable and turn by turn capable.

Of all, Id say the GPSMap 60 is the easiest to learn and use but the Vista is better for newbies with the electronic compass (its the one my wife uses)

From what ive seen so far, electronic compass, plenty of memory, usp connectivity and "H" models are the way to go.

What price range are you looking in?

I guess the lowest amount I can spend would be great. The Vista was on Offroute.com for $240. I like the look of the Vista. Went to the store to hold one and try it but they keep them under lock and key, so that was a wash. Did find out that Offroute was a good price though; the sporting store wanted $350.

The Vista price would be ok. My husband said I could get that one if I wanted. I just don't want to (have to) or (want to) upgrade soon after I get it.

If your wife if still happy with it, then I think that maybe I will order it.

Hope I'm not too electronically challenged...

I recently bought the etrex summit HC. I got it in a value pack that came with 2008 US TOPO software, USB cord, DC adapter, and carrying case for about $240. It seems to work great for caching. I've been in all kinds of weather and terrain and it always seems to take me right to the cache within a couple of feet.

roundies my wife has a basic yellow etrex and i orginally had a legend but when we went out on several occasions the legend would not get me within 60ft of any cach where my wifes cheap etrex lead her litteraly directly over it!! i have since returned my legend and bought the etrex H which i absolutely love however it does not have a basemap on it. but if you have a car gps you really don't need a base map. by the way check out www.walmart.com they sell the etrex for $76 and etrex H for $86 they also sell others like a color screen etrex for $129. i have not found gps cheaper than walmart.com