Give me your 10 cents...

UOTrackers

Each year since I lost my twins I fundraise for the March of Dimes In Their Honor. Kyra & Jayde would have been 3 years old this past September. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them. Today I had a kissing war with Bella, who is now 2, I won, she couldn't keep up, but she got lot's and lot's of kisses. I'm so thankful for that. Bella was also born early. I first went into labor with her at only 28 weeks gestation, and again when I was 30 and 32. She finally came at 36 weeks and thanks to the years of research and efforts of the March of Dimes she was fine...

So for my COINTEST, give me your 10 cents. What are your thoughts about your children, your nieces, your nephews, grandsons, grand daughters, God children or March of Dimes. All you need to do is tell me something you are thankful for, or just a random fact about the March of Dimes. You can post as many times as you want. This Cointest will run until the 7th, midnight EST. I'll choose 10 random winners using the wonderful number generator link TSun gave me for my last cointest. Each winner will get a trackable geocoin and some other goodies!

I can't wait to see your stories, I know it will bring a smile to my face when I really need it!

EDIT: Just a note, "Give me your 10 cents" is supposed to be a play on the phrase your two cents worth...you don't have to give me anything at all!

Edited by UOTrackers

Four years ago we lost our oldest son in a car wreck, so when I say, I am sorry for your loss and I feel your pain. It comes from experience. Losing a child is a pain that never goes away. You just live from there.

We have 5 other children, and before Cannon's wreck I spent a lot of time coaching baseball, scouts and so on with all the kids, after his accident it seemed like so little time. I still do all of the above and more, I now spend all my free time with my two youngest kids; I have not really done anything with out at least one of them. I refuse too. God has given some of us children and we are lucky to have them. Do all you can with them, you never know when God will take them home. It is a small price to pay for the love you will get in return spending great time with them. The memories you will give them will pass on to their children.

That’s my 10cents.

We have 8 children ranging from 20 to a newborn. They are the light of our lives and each one has their own charm and personality. People are always shocked when they find out how many kids we have. They can't understand how we can manage. I can't understand how you can manage with less children, frankly :unsure:

Our house is always filled with laughter, excitement, wrestling, boxing and well...let's just say there is never a dull moment. The size of our family has it's challenges but when I look at each one of my kids faces..I just smile. I just can't imagine any thing that could possibly be big enough to wish that I didn't have these kids at my side. They are our life and nothing could be more important to us and they truely are each others best friends too.

Thanks for the cointest. Can't wait to read all the stories..

On January 28th My wife and I had our 2nd daughter, Alexandra. We thought we were blessed with one but

when #2 arrived, we felt touched. My wife and I were just talking about what we used to do with our time

before we had kids. And in all honesty we could not recall anything! And that was OK. We enjoy being

parents so much. To us being able to have kids is the greatest gift we could ask for. :unsure:

That is my TWO CENTS worth!

Dardevle

Awww Jen. I've read your MofD website before. Your story is heart wrenching.

The joys of Bella - supreme! :unsure:

We do everything with our kids. We never leave them with anyone if we can help it. They experience life with us. And they are everything to us. What we do now - it is for them. Always.

You get 18 summers with your kids - if you are so blessed. Don't waste that precious time.

Before you were conceived I wanted you.

Before you were born I loved you.

Before you were a minute old I would have died for you.

I never knew my heart could live outside my body.

Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate

spc.gif

A cleft is a gap in a body structure that results from incomplete closing of a specific structure during development. Clefts that occur in the lip and palate (roof of the mouth) are called oral-facial clefts. There are two main types of oral-facial clefts: cleft lip/palate and isolated cleft palate. Some babies have only a cleft lip. However, many babies with cleft lip have a cleft palate as well. These are called cleft lip/palate. Cleft palate also can occur by itself without cleft lip. This is called isolated cleft palate. Cleft lip/palate and isolated cleft palate are considered separate birth defects. So here is my story.

I was born without a cleft palate, but never had a cleft lip. I undergone Cleft Palate surgury when I was in the 4th grade, I went thru speach problems all thru my life. And had to see a speach thereapist all thru my school years until I graduated. I used to studder so bad that I would never answer a telephone. I got picked on for my speach problems all the way thru school. School was never a easy thing for me. But I managed to go thru all the my problems as a child. I was also born with rare kind of dwarfism, called Russell Silver Syndrome. I also was born with a hole in my heart a size of a nickel, and only weighing 2 pounds, but god must of wanted me on this plant for some reason, he made me to be strong and out come all of these disabilites. I have come a long ways in life and hardly now ever studder, still have a hearing loss, and still have other problems but I consider myself lucky. I could of been alot more worste off. I had very caring people that helped me, and I love working with people now that I have grown up, that is mainly all I have ever done now is take care of older people, my family members and worked with Austics and other people with mental disabilities. I beleive I do what I do because I had someone there for me to help me and I feel that is why it is my time to take care of other to help make a difference in peoples lives. I get such a rewarding feeling knowing I am making a difference in others peoples lives. I have alot of love in my heart and learned to have alot of patience and that has gotten me far in life. March of dimes has helped alot of people that have problems with childbirth complications and so forth. They have helped my parents with me. My parents still tell me how much of an an expense I was and having to stay in the hospital for 4 months from birth till I could go home but they are glad they had me.

Here is my little story about me.

Val of sweetlife

Wow, this hits very close to home. My niece gave birth to a tiny baby girl at 27 weeks. Baby Emry weighed just 1# 7oz at birth and dropped to 1# 4oz. Luckily that was her final set back. She faught hard and very slowly gained weight. At 2 months she reached 5# and came home to her Mom, Dad , sister and brother. She's now 4 months old and dispite her tiny size and rough start, she continues gaining.

I want so badly to pick her up and hold her but I've only seen her through the window. I have a home daycare and although I've had a flu shot, I never know what my little ones may have exposed me to and the last thing I want to do is to expose Little Emry to any "bugs". This precious child has a brght future thanks to the reasearch and efforts of the March Of Dimes. We're the fortunate ones, My heart goes out to you and those less fortunate than we've been.

I personally have 5 healthy children all of whom were adopted. My oldest was adopted from India and was 11 months old when he arrived. His nursery in India received some funding from the March of Dimes. He was born at 32 weeks gestation. Since his arrival 20 years ago, I've done the walks to raise money but it never seems to be enough. This is such a wonderful organization that's affected so many people and most don't even realize how much they do. I'll continue with the fund raising walks and thank you for your involvement also. Give your little one a bunch of extra hugs.

I love taking my nephew (now 12) out for special days every so often. He loves going to the gaming stores and sampling the new games and we go to movies and museums and out to eat somewhere special. I was staying with my sister when he was born and I feel like he is mine too in a way. I don't see him as much as I used to but I do miss those days when he was little but I still look forward to when we do them now. I believe that the March of Dimes is a great organization for you to support. They sure helped me when I was young. I was born with the birth defect of spina bifida and hydrocephlus and if it were not for the March of Dimes and the great childrens hospital here then I probably would not be here today. I wish you all the best and the best of times with your little girl:)

Nora and Chip

I have done the March of Dimes walks to help raise money for many years. It used to be because I like helping people and it was a way to help. Then three years ago my grandson was born 7 weeks early. It was because of there research that he had a chance and he made it. Doing great today. While my grandson was in the hospital there were many preemies and it was amazing because of the research that a baby that didn't even weigh two pounds had a chance. My grandson weighed 3 pounds. It is the years of research that does make it possible for them to not only survive but to have a life. If not for there research my grandson could of been blind or had many things wrong but the research had also shown the doctors on how to prevent these things from happening. I am thankful for the March of Dimes. I am thankful for the dedicated people who work to find the cures and I am thankful that there is hospitals that have the equipment to help these babies. When my grandson was born there was only one in the state that had the equipment for a 7 week early preemie and that is where my daughter went. Now there is two more hospitals that has the equipment and the staff to help the preemies. So when a person raises money for the March of Dimes it is used for research and they have accomplished a lot but they are still doing a lot of research. I am really sorry that your twins didn't make it and that is why the March of Dimes still is researching because they aren't able to save them all. I am thankful for kids because they sure do brighten up the world. My thoughts on March of Dimes is they use there funding for what it was intended for and they have made a tremendous difference.

When my friend asked me to be the God father to her daughter I was so happy. After being born a week and a half early Heather was born without a beating heart fortunately the nures and doctor reacted fast and got it going. She is now about a year and a half old and doing great. That day was teh most scary yet one of the best days of my life.

I've suffered from two miscarriages. One was before having my son, who was a healthy whopping 9lb 10 ouncer and the other was before having my daugher. I did go into preterm labor at 32 weeks with my daughter but the doctors were able to control that and I had her at 38 weeks.

My kids are the biggest joy in my life. My son Brandon had delays in speaking (he hardly created a sentence until he was 4 yrs old). Now he's in Kindergarten and at the top of his class. Every day he just amazes me with his knowledge.. and I swear he has one of the best sight memories around (he sees it, he remembers it). Yesterday I asked him to make a card for his Aunt Leslie (my sister) since she was in a car accident yesterday morning and when he spoke to her on the phone he said "I made you a card today Aunt Leslie!" It just amazed me at how he said it so clearly when it wasn't all to long ago he was having speech problems.

Now my daughter Nyomi, she's just full of surprises. She started walking at 10 months of age, and talking in short sentences around 14 months of age. She's like a sponge asorbing everything she hears around her. She tells us the only knock knock joke she knows (partially made up) which is "Knock Knock" (who's there) "Boo!" (boo who?) "PIZZA!!"

Also seeing how close my kids are melts my heart. Sure they fight with each other (mainly Nyomi beating up Brandon), but they give each other hugs all the time.

100_1080.jpg

The time together with your kids becomes more precious as time goes by. My 3 kids are grown and 2 of them have followed me into geocaching. When I first introduced them to geocaching, they looked at me and said "Dad, you were caching with us 20 years ago!"

I was surprised that they remembered those times when we would walk to a place very few people went, such as the end of a pier, or the longest trail in a park. Once we'd gotten to those lonely places, I'd take some coins out of my pocket and leave them where others could find. When they asked why I did that, I simply responded, "Just think how the next person here will smile!"

I see the whole world in a new light.

Through my nieces eyes.

I do not see the bad only the good.

I see the wonder that everyday holds for her,

something magic in her mind.

That shines through her eyes out into the world.

I only wish that my eyes still held that magic.

That magic that i see only through my nieces eyes.

writer onknown.

I enjoyed reading all of your postings. I almost don't feel that I have the right to post in. I have 3 children.

My oldest is my daughter. She doesn't understand geocaching but will allowed me to on a road trip to Oregon last year to drop off my grand daughter to meet up with the other grandma and pick her back up again. She theorizes that when one geocaches, we look suspicious. She is in the RN program at the local community college, a single mom and I'm very proud of her. I'm proud of her anyways.

Second is a son who geocaches. He is a teacher of developmental behavior children ( or something like that) He takes a lot of abuse from his students because of disabilities.

My third is a son and a senior in high school. He WAS a geocacher and very good at it. Gee, he even had fun at it, Until one day, their school had a lock-down due to a "mysterious container" on the premises. Yes, it Was a cache placed with permission by the principal, but some one called it in as a bomb (oops :smile: ). He came home that day and said, "Mom, you have to stop geocaching" .

A couple of years ago, it appeared that the streets were clear of snow. So having cabin fever (of sorts) My 2 sons and myself headed out to go shopping. Wrong. We must have hit some ice because I started fish tailing going UP a hill. somehow, the van got turned around going the wrong way. We started to go over a gully but thankfully a chunk of ice stopped my back tire as we were heading that ways. "There were trees down there. Do you know what could have happened?" I count my blessings as I am convinced that somebody has a better plan for one of my boys :D

I see the whole world in a new light.

Through my nieces eyes.

I do not see the bad only the good.

I see the wonder that everyday holds for her,

something magic in her mind.

That shines through her eyes out into the world.

I only wish that my eyes still held that magic.

That magic that i see only through my nieces eyes.

writer onknown.

I Love it :D Thank you for sharing! We could always change the niece to whomever :smile:

There are no words to explain what my two precious girls mean to me.

After losing the baby this past September, Micke and I both realized just how much the girls DO mean, when we had a taste of what it would be like to lose one of them...

Hug your kids for me, everyone, and thank of all those angels that God called back early for one reason or another. Sometimes figuring out what lesson is that He wants us to learn from the pain is hard, but it's there somewhere!

Naomi :smile:

Thirty one years ago I lost my four month old son to SIDS. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, and I have to smile through the tears, he was such a beautiful baby and he was loved so very much.

I was never able to have any more children, but I found ways to have kids in my life anyway. I was always the first volunteer anytime my friends needed a sitter, or my brother and his wife. I was very close with my nephews until they moved far away. Then I became a foster parent in our county and did that for about 10 years. We had over 100 kids in that time! What an amazing experience! Now I'm grandma to 8 year old Jacqlynn and Aunt to 12 year old Christina (who was one of my first foster children-my brother and his wife adopted her!)

I don't know what life would have been like without children, and I don't want to know.

I am sorry for all of you who have suffered loss.

I have had 2 miscarriages - one before, and one after my daughter was born. After the second miscarriage, someone shared this poem with me:

JUST THOSE FEW WEEKS

For those few weeks -

I had you to myself.

And that seems too short a time

to be changed so profoundly.

In those few weeks -

I came to know you...

and to love you.

You came to trust me with your life.

Oh, what a life I had planned for you!

Just those few weeks -

When I lost you,

I lost a lifetime of hopes,

plans, dreams, and aspirations.

A slice of my future simply vanished overnight.

Just those few weeks -

It wasn't enough time to convince others

how special and important you were.

How odd, a truly unique person has recently died

and no one is mourning the passing.

Just a mere few weeks -

And no "normal" person would cry all night

over a tiny, unfinished baby,

or get depressed and withdrawn day after endless day.

No one would, so why am I?

You were just those few weeks, my Little One.

You darted in and out of my life too quickly.

But it seems that's all the time that you needed

to make my life so much richer

and give me a small glimpse of eternity.

By Susan Erling Martinez

Not sure if I even qualify here, as the kids I am raising aren't even mine. It's a strange world we live in, the mother who brought my youngsters in has not cared much for several years...how can this be??

Kevin is now 22 (REALLY??? WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE???), I got him when he was 15. His "mom" was a good friend in school and again years later, but I lost track until I moved to my home I now live in and Kevin came riding up one day while I was working on my lawn. I had cared for Kevin amd his 3 younger siblings when Kevin was merely 7 years old, so for him to recognize me, well, it was a blessing from above for both us!!

Soon after his visit, Kevin was staying with me, his mom had problems with drugs, Kevin (and his younger brothers) had been living without any real adult supervision. Kevin had serious legal troubles stemming from his lacking of sensible guidance and had been in the youth campus a few times. Kevin also had little care for school and was doing very badly, not expected to ever graduate!

Flash forward, Kevin has graduated, his legal troubles have disappeared and he's now a manager at McDonald's (a job he took on while still in school over 4 years ago). I feel very blessed he came along, I had a big house which was empty save me and some friends, he had a big heart which was empty and being trampled on...we fit together perfectly! Kevin changed me in many ways, mostly by making me a more caring and somewhat more patient (slightly, I'm still very impatient) person. I can't imagine living without him!!

When Kevin graduated, his youngest brother was coming on 12 years old and having much the same troubles as Kevin had...no guidance, no love and no real care about himself. Kaleb (KAboom) needed my help as well! I had already sworn to myself that I wouldn't go through that again...it was fun the one time, but very trying at times and my money was being stretched as well! Well, I didn't listen to myself and soon had another teen child running about the house!

Kaleb was and is a bigger challenge, he's ADHD (and then some) and the product of a mom who routinesly turned her back to him even sending him off to the campus once simply because she needed a break (to get more drugs...seriously). Kaleb has been in trouble a few times since I took over a few years ago, but nothing like he had been in (both boys had felonies when I got them), he's finally starting to understand that someone really does CARE and LOVE him! Kaleb will be 16 this year!

Times have since been very tough, I now have Kevin and his girlfriend as well as Kaleb living here. My income has since been cut as times are hard in Michigan and we've struggled hard as a one-income family, but Kevin has jumped in and has been a HUGE help of late...we're slowly pulling through!! My health and my sanity have taken blows, but I'm still here and still loving my "sons"!! It's a strange and harsh reality that, just a few years ago, I was taking cruises and vacationing in Vegas during the winters...now I'm LUCKY to have a spare dime in my pocket, lucky to get a few days away...but even then, I worry about and miss my sons!! We struggle along and it's tough...but I wouldn't trade this for the world!!

God has blessed us with 8 children. For each and every one I am thankful every day! Our third, Ashley, was apparently loved by Him so much that He took her to be with Him at 24 weeks... before she ever had a chance to breathe our air. God knows how that tore our hearts in two. Thankfully He is full of AMAZING GRACE! After Ashley, we were blessed to give birth to two more derschlings. The blessing continued as we've now been able to finalize the adoption of our third non-biological child. So... with 7 derschlings running around here... and one waiting for us in Heaven, I think we're 'bout the most blessed of anyone!

now, everyone go click on that link in UOTrackers OP and, if you've been blessed with some available resources, make a donation... we can make a difference.

just in case you missed where you can give to the March of Dimes... here it is again: In memory of Kyra & Jayde

I am sorry for all of you who have suffered loss.

I have had 2 miscarriages - one before, and one after my daughter was born. After the second miscarriage, someone shared this poem with me:

JUST THOSE FEW WEEKS

For those few weeks -

I had you to myself.

And that seems too short a time

to be changed so profoundly.

In those few weeks -

I came to know you...

and to love you.

You came to trust me with your life.

Oh, what a life I had planned for you!

Just those few weeks -

When I lost you,

I lost a lifetime of hopes,

plans, dreams, and aspirations.

A slice of my future simply vanished overnight.

Just those few weeks -

It wasn't enough time to convince others

how special and important you were.

How odd, a truly unique person has recently died

and no one is mourning the passing.

Just a mere few weeks -

And no "normal" person would cry all night

over a tiny, unfinished baby,

or get depressed and withdrawn day after endless day.

No one would, so why am I?

You were just those few weeks, my Little One.

You darted in and out of my life too quickly.

But it seems that's all the time that you needed

to make my life so much richer

and give me a small glimpse of eternity.

By Susan Erling Martinez

Thank you so much for posting that. I had my mc in late Sept 07, at 11 weeks, just shy of that magic second trimester when things get a little safer, and the doctor said that the baby had stopped developing about 4 weeks before that. I knew immediately that I was pregnant and confirmed it at about 5 weeks.

I still, on occasion, have a really hard time. Most of the time I'm ok, but... especially at night, lying in bed and trying to fall asleep... then the thoughts creep in, and they still hurt so much. I'd have about 10 weeks to go if I hadn't lost this little one. I can't help but miss feeling him or her moving inside me and wondering about how it would be and working on names and all that stuff...it just feels so empty.

Does it ever get better?

PS... Rod, they are just as lucky to have such a special man, and don't ever forget that!

I have no children of my own but I have helped raise my nephew and two nieces. My nephew is very special to me as he was the first born and has been through so much in his young life. My mom and I raised him for his first year and a half. Nothing like being a substitute mother at 15. I would give anything for him or his sisters if they needed it. In late 2006, I separated from my husband and my nephew returned the favor. He called me every other day to make sure that I was alright and if I needed anything. He and my brother came over to help me get my house and yard back together. My nephew started having car trouble a few months later and couldn't get to work. I had a truck that I hadn't driven in a few years so I gave that to him to drive to work. I get a call one night from my nephew checking on me and letting me know how things are going for him. He tells me that I need to sit down for what he has to say. Of course, because of some of his past problems, my heart drops. He then tells me that I am going to be a great aunt. Of course, we have a joking relationship with one another and I said I thought I already was a great aunt. He then tells me that his then girlfriend is pregnant and due Feb. 14, 2008. In November of 07 his half sister was involved in a serious accident for which she is still in therapy at Shephard's in Atlanta. He has balanced working, trying to start his own business on the side, taking care of his pregnant wife and being there for his sister very well. My nephew is a wonderful young man who has a very big heart. My youngest niece is following in his big hearted footsteps (but thankfully she's not expecting a child any time soon). I couldn't have asked for better nieces or nephew.

I think that no matter who you are, or what your story, if you have been touched by a Child (of any age) then you qualify to be in this thread. I love reading all these stories, even the ones that make me cry, and they do. It's these tears that keep me going, keep me trying. My tears will hopefully fall so that someone else's do not have to. When I lost my girls I had no one to talk to because there was not anyone around here who had had that happen. Within months I received 2 emails from other twins groups in the area saying that there were others who had recently lost children and would I talk to them. What could I say to them that they did not already know? How could I make them understand what I did not? How could I calm them when that same calm eluded me. I told them my story, I told them that it's ok to hurt, to cry to even be mad. I told them that the hurt never goes away but in time is lessens. I told them that one day they would smile, would laugh and feel guilty and it's normal. I did, I felt so guilty laughing when my daughters could not. I told them about my pledge to honor my daughters. I like to think it helped a little because I no longer hear from those mothers, but get asked to speak to others now and then. I am just one person, but I can make a difference, even by having a contest to win a coin. It might be silly, but it got you to think! When I was a little girl my grandmother had a drawer in her coffee table filled with stickers, those ones you get in the mail along with address labels. Many of hers said "March of Dimes" I had no idea what that was. I'm so glad I do now. Thank you for joining my cointest!

These stories have been very hard to read, and I am sorry for all those who have suffered the loss of a child.

My child is, by far, the best thing that has every happened to me. There are hardly words to describe the way he fills my heart and my life with joy - and my house with Elmo! This thread is a wonderful reminder to all of us to take the time everyday to remind the ones we love how much we love them and how important they are to us.

Thank you for this thread, UOTrackers!

I think that no matter who you are, or what your story, if you have been touched by a Child (of any age) then you qualify to be in this thread. I love reading all these stories, even the ones that make me cry, and they do. It's these tears that keep me going, keep me trying. My tears will hopefully fall so that someone else's do not have to. When I lost my girls I had no one to talk to because there was not anyone around here who had had that happen. Within months I received 2 emails from other twins groups in the area saying that there were others who had recently lost children and would I talk to them. What could I say to them that they did not already know? How could I make them understand what I did not? How could I calm them when that same calm eluded me. I told them my story, I told them that it's ok to hurt, to cry to even be mad. I told them that the hurt never goes away but in time is lessens. I told them that one day they would smile, would laugh and feel guilty and it's normal. I did, I felt so guilty laughing when my daughters could not. I told them about my pledge to honor my daughters. I like to think it helped a little because I no longer hear from those mothers, but get asked to speak to others now and then. I am just one person, but I can make a difference, even by having a contest to win a coin. It might be silly, but it got you to think! When I was a little girl my grandmother had a drawer in her coffee table filled with stickers, those ones you get in the mail along with address labels. Many of hers said "March of Dimes" I had no idea what that was. I'm so glad I do now. Thank you for joining my cointest!

Thank you a million times over... and now you've made me cry again, lol!

Tears are healing, though!

Hearing these stories makes me cry!

I've known since I was a kid that the only thing I've ever wanted in this world was to be a mom. We tried for YEARS before I was blessed enough to get pregnant with Thomas. Because it took so long for it to happen, we'd about given up and were totally surprised by the positive pregnancy test. I was so scared throughout my entire pregnancy that something would happen and I would lose this precious gift I'd been given. Toward the end of my pregnancy, I started getting low amniotic fluid levels. The doctors were a little concerned and made me get ultrasounds every 3 days. Three weeks before my due date, the doctor finally said they didn't want to wait any longer. The baby's oxygen supply was in jeopardy. I was induced and finally got to bring my special baby into the world.

What am I thankful for? This:

Camera003.jpg

Camera005.jpg

Camera007.jpg

All these stories have really made me feel fortunate. Fortunate to have been given the chance to be a "father", fortunate to have sooo many friends here who are willing to share a bit of themselves for us!! THANK-YOU for this AWESOME cointest UO...very touching indded!!

All I can say to those who've been touched by the pain of a loss....GOD BLESS YOU! The lord truly works in mysterious ways!

We have 5 great kids (the oldest is 33 (he and his wife have a two year old daughter)and the youngest is 21) 1 daughter and 4 sons.

Suffered through 3 miscarriages to get them. Sometimes it felt like no one but me could understand my feelings about losings the babies.....Twice I was at about 16 weeks, and had felt life, but they always say "It's just one of those things" and expect you to get up and be just fine... The last one was over 25 years ago and it still feels like a little part of me is gone.

Now, we have 5 grand kids and 2 more expected in April. Our daughter (who has 4 of the 5) is having a c-section on April 18th ( girl, Felicia Irene). And, if all goes very, very well our son and daughter in law (married 6 years and not able to have a baby) should be adopting their son. They were chosen by the birth mother to raise him :D I pray every night for nothing to go wrong for any of them....

Our daughter has had a hard time with her pregnancies and I think 5 is as many as she needs :smile:

Naomi. It's doesn't "get better", it just gets easier. You will always feel the loss, but won't think of it every waking moment. You won't dream it every time you go to sleep. I lost my twin girls at 16 weeks 9 years ago. I remember them on the day and on the day they would have been born. I remember them in during the holidays, I remember them on days they would have reached a milestone in their life had they been born alive. But I don't remember the pain everyday. I think having two other children who are teens has helped me. They have brought so much joy into my life. Even when the boy gauged his ears, pierced his lip and stole his sisters car I know I am blessed. I have been able to see life again through their eyes and I will (hopefully) get to be a grandmother some day.

Monday a teen committed sucide and was brought into the ER I work in. The teen was in a fight with parents and ran away, later the teen did the job of committing suicide. I cried for the 1st time in about 5 years. I cried hard. I try to find a reason for the things that I see in my profession. I try to look for the positive side. I hope my tainted view of death helps me to see just how precious life is. I came home Tuesday morning, woke my kids and held them very tightly. Both knew, without me telling them, that I had had a bad night at work. They both patted my back and said.. "it will be o.k., MOM"

How is that for joy?

For all of you who lost a child.

I have filled an ocean with tears.

Salty and bitter, they flow from my soul.

All the grief, all the pain.

All the sadness, all the fears.

All the hurt, all the whij's.

All the could haves, all the loss.

All the regrets, all the lost chances.

All the wants, all the goodbyes.

Sweet and soft, they flow from my soul.

All the joy, all the laughter.

All the love, all of the years.

All the rewards, all the smiles

All the triumphs, all the hello's.

All that was right and all that was good.

All the kisses and hugs from my child.

i have filled an ocean with tears.

Salty and bitter, sweet and soft.

For love, for sadness, for joy, for pain.

writer: karen mc combs

This is the one that gets to me....

Gods Gift

I'll give you for a little while

a perfect baby son,

For you to love while he's alive

and mourn for when he's gone.

It may be six or seven years

or thirty-two or three.

But until I call him back will you

take care of him for me?

He'll bring his light to gladden you

and although his stay is brief

You'll have his loving memories

as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise how long he'll stay

since all angels must return,

But there are lessons taught there on earth

this darling child must learn.

Now will you give him all your love,

nor think the labor vain,

Nor curse me when I come to call

to take him back again.

Please shelter him with tenderness.

and love him while you may.

And for the happiness you receive,

forever grateful stay.

And when the heavens call for him

much sooner than you've planned,

Please brave the bitter grief that comes

and try to understand.

All these stories have really made me feel fortunate. Fortunate to have been given the chance to be a "father", fortunate to have sooo many friends here who are willing to share a bit of themselves for us!! THANK-YOU for this AWESOME cointest UO...very touching indeed!!

All I can say to those who've been touched by the pain of a loss....GOD BLESS YOU! The lord truly works in mysterious ways!

From your other post . . . You definitely qualify . . . it takes a Very SPECIAL type of person to be able to open their hearts and homes to children not born to them :smile:

Y'all making me cry, you know.

For my stepdaughters:

Adopted Child

Not flesh of my flesh

Nor bone of my bone

But still miraculously my own

Never forget for a single minute

You didn't grow under my heart

But in it

author not known(?)

Anyone know who wrote this?

I have a one grown son (29) and also suffered one miscarriage after he was born, which is when they told me I couldn't have any more. So I was blessed with only one. He had some disablities growing up (speech and hearing) but has overcome all of these. He amazes me everyday and even though he doesn't live close we see each other several times a year and we always manage to grab a cache or two. He was here last weekend so we celebrated a last Christmas by going to Disneyland and a concert. When I was going up I always did the March of Dimes walks and raised I little money to help. So this is my little story.

Jen I have read your MofD story before too and the first time you ever contacted us and told us your story, I balled my eyes out. You are a pillar of strength!!

We have one precious little daughter, PengoBeky, who is going to be 6 this summer. She is a blessing in our lives and brings me and my husband so much joy. The show 'kids say the darndest things' just about sums up some of the best memories I have of Beky. Kids are just so honest and speaks their minds. I love the way Beky sees the world and tries to explain things to me. She has such a sense of wonder and a great imagination. And she is such a sweetheart! She has a BIG heart! We are truly blessed to have her in our lives!! :smile:

Our .10 cents worth-

.05 cents for our Grandbaby Emmett. He is 15 months old and (sorry everybody) the cutest, smartest little baby there ever was!! He lives 5 hours away from us so we don't get to see (read, spoil) him as much as we would like to. He is here visiting with us this weekend though! He was diagnosed with asthma last week and is having to have breathing treatments twice a day for now. It was really sad to see the poor little guy sit with a mask over his face for 12 minutes last night, he was so good though!! 12 minutes is a long time for such a little guy!

.05 cents for the little brother he is going to have in June!

Being a Grandparent has got to be one of the bestest things in the whole wide world! ....and yes, he has been caching with us!

I don't have any children of my own whether it be fear, unable or not God's plan for me I'm not sure. I have been Diabetic since I was 8. Uncontrolled even to this day. On 6 injections per day and about to add two additional injections when I received my insulin pump. I was the first insulin dependent diabetic the local hospital had seen and they didn't really know what to do with me, my entire summer was spent at hospitals and then diabetic camp. My blood sugar was over 900 and My mom was told had I gone to bed that night at home I may have never woken up. I am grateful for any organizations that help in research, treatment, support, education etc.

I am grateful that i am here and I may have some regrets not having any children of my own but I feel extremely lucky to have two nephews and a niece that I adore and helped raised for a part of their lives and now have two stepchildren that I love dearly, I would do anything for them as they are a very important part of my life.

A cleft is a gap in a body structure that results from incomplete closing of a specific structure during development. Clefts that occur in the lip and palate (roof of the mouth) are called oral-facial clefts. There are two main types of oral-facial clefts: cleft lip/palate and isolated cleft palate. Some babies have only a cleft lip. However, many babies with cleft lip have a cleft palate as well. These are called cleft lip/palate. Cleft palate also can occur by itself without cleft lip. This is called isolated cleft palate. Cleft lip/palate and isolated cleft palate are considered separate birth defects...

I was born without a cleft palate, but never had a cleft lip...

Boy, can *I* relate! I was born with a cleft palate, a hare-lip and a deviated sceptum. Underwent surgery a couple of times when I was very young; this was in the early 1950s, when plastic surgery was still something of a rare thing. Went through all the speech therapy stuff, too; didn't help a bit, of course. I managed to turn it into a positive when I went into sports officiating; with my distinctive voice, no one could claim I said something that I didn't ;-) But my small problems (I also get migraines) are nothing to your other ones; congrats for being such a positive influence in the world :-)

My actual, *real* story is about our youngest grandchild: Jaydelynn was born legally blind. Fortunately, Bethany (our oldest), son-in-law Jason and their kids all live less than an hour from Oxford, Alabama, home of the Helen Keller Institute, so they have lots of help and advice :-) To their credit, they have never wondered what they "did wrong" to have had a blind child. They treat her just like the other three (with a few limitations, of course), and the others treat her just like their other siblings. We've been lucky enough to visit with them a couple of times, and it is really amazing to watch them interact. "Jaydy" has some vision, but until she starts talking better (she's behind in that area), they can't really tell what she can see. It ought to be interesting as she gets older, to "see" what her world is like from the inside.

UOTrackers - I wanted to share an event that occured to me last year that caused me not only to re-evaluate my feeling for my family but my entire life, Last May I suffered a tonic-clonic seizure at work, some literature still refers to the type of seizure I had as a "gran mal" seizure. To make a long long story short, I had a rather large tumor in my left frontal lobe and had to undergo surgery, chemo, & six-week of radiation. I'm still taking monthly chemo, as a matter of fact. The end results was that I had to relearn to speak, type, etc. again and suffered an enormous amount of amnesia. But though it all my wife and 16-year old daughter sucked it up and when one of them would crack from the pressure the other was always there to lend a kind word. I am so proud of my daughter (and my wife for that matter) to have them beside me. I've always been open and honest about my condition and I've patiently answered everyone of my daughter's questions to the best of my ability. She was a little hesitant at first to ask them directly to me because I think she didn't want to "hurt" my feelings. I still remember the very first question she asked, keep in mind that a significant portion of my left frontal lobe was removed (about 4cm x 3cm x 3cm). I could see in her eyes there was a question she was burning to ask me and it was, of all things, whether or not my head tiled to the right now that is weighed more than the left side. :drama: I could have kissed her at the moment but I didn't think she would appreciate that, she is after all 16!

Edited by Geocaching-Geckos

:D I wanted so much a baby brother or sister!! I was 5 years old and i was going to kindergarden. all my schoolmates had brothers except me! I was feeling bad and I was praying to God for a baby! Then mum said that a baby was in her belly and after a few months I would be able to meet him or her! That happened by the end of the summer, a lot of years ago, and I could watch her getting fatter every single month! I remember myself trying to listen to our baby while he was moving inside mum! I could wait for hours until I could make out a movement, and that was the happiest moment!

I started going to the first class of our secondary school, and everyone knew that a baby was on the way! I was telling everyone that we were expecting a baby, as if I was a mother myself! Anyway the happy day arrived! Mum was going to the hospital and of course I didn't go to school. I was too happy, too excited!! My mum loved tulips, that was our favourite flower for both her and me, so I asked my father to take me to a florist! The problem was that I was too young and I couldn't pronounce the word correctly, so I was asking for a toulapa instead of toulip! Toulapa is the word we use in Greece for wardrobe!! Can you imagine how the florist reacted? :drama:

He could not understand me and of course I was very ungry because he was delaying me from the Great meeting!!! :o

At last, my dad tried to explain what I wanted, and of course how much I loved this baby! :)

I got my beautiful tulips and finally we arrived at the hospital! He was so Hundsome!!! A boy, my little brother! He was born on 28th March 1975 and I was so happy, that I couldn't even talk! And then, a big problem appeared!!!

Please don't laugh at me, but I thought in my silly child mind, that the nurses would come late at night and would take my brother away from us secretly! I was so afraid that I didn't go to our home until mum got out of the hospital!! :drama::):drama:

I was sleeping, eating, actually staying with them at the same room, and if anyone dared to come near my precious brother I was guarding!! No one could touch him!!!! :blink:

Well, my dear Nikos, that's his name, grew up to a be a very nice person, the brother I was dreaming about! Now we are both grown ups, adults, and we still love each other completely! He is the most precious gift my parents and God gave me! I am about to get married and start my own family, but the experience I got as a child waiting for a baby, is something I will never forget!

This boy, is a geocacher, and we are geocaching together, including my fiance! We are under the same code name : gatoulis! That's my 10 cents for a gorgious brother, a perfect man, and he is also going to be our best man, in our wedding!!!

Giota.

P.S.: It is the first time I am writing here at the foroums! Usually, my brother is posting! :)

These are all such great thoughts and sentiments and poems. I have some more good News. Last night I saw on the news the President of the March of Dimes announced a new breakthrough! Many of us already know, especially the women, that taking folic acid while your pregnant is very important. It helps reduce the occurance of Spina Bifida. New research has also shown that those who take it a year prior to conception lessen their chances of a premature birth by 50 - 70%. That is truely an amazing breakthrough!

I'm afraid I don't have any 10cents' worth to tell myself, but I just have to say thank you to all that have shared their stories in this thread. I've read them all, and I'm just amazed how different and unique every story seems to be. Some of them end happy, some sad, some are really dramatic, some more calm. Sort of like life itself.

Maybe someday i'll be able to tell _you_ something about _my_ children, but if that ever happens, it's probably at least five or ten years from now...

Once again, a big THANK YOU! to everyonethat has written in this thread!

Lennart

I'm afraid I don't have any 10cents' worth to tell myself, but I just have to say thank you to all that have shared their stories in this thread. I've read them all, and I'm just amazed how different and unique every story seems to be. Some of them end happy, some sad, some are really dramatic, some more calm. Sort of like life itself.

Maybe someday i'll be able to tell _you_ something about _my_ children, but if that ever happens, it's probably at least five or ten years from now...

Once again, a big THANK YOU! to everyonethat has written in this thread!

Lennart

*watch me make Lelle blush*

I dunno, Lelle, I mean, I've met ya and you're a pretty nice looking young guy with a lot going for ya... I think that 5 or 10 years might be more like 2 or 3 once the right girl gets a hold of ya!

Du är en riktig snygging :drama:

Naomi :drama:

I don't have any children, and never will (through choice, not though a medial issue) but I do have a wonderful niece and another niece or nephew on the way. I am not close enough to be a well known Aunt in their lives, but I love how thrilled my brother is to be a father.

I had a brother who killed himself when he was 16 and I was 13. I've gotten "over it" as much as you can, but I will never understand it. I always wonder what he would be like today and what he would think of me, of my husband, of my job, everything. I know he would have loved to be an Uncle.

Mrs Avroair and I are about to have our first child in May, we are thankful for the opportunity to be parents, and share our total love for out newborn. Everytime I see a child it makes me smile, I wish we all had their innocence, curiosity and genuine happiness. :drama:

Congratulations on the impending arrival of your Little Avroair! You're sentence about the innocence and curiosity of a child reminds me of a little story.

My 6-year-old nephew recently said to me, "I love ketchup. I eat it with everything. Well," he paused, "except cereal. I didn't like it on my Fruit Loops."