Delete Track on Colorado?

SandCreek

Either I'm missing something or there is no way to delete an archived track on

the Colorado in the field (I have a 400t). This does not make sense to me.

That would mean on a very long trip (without my PC) I could eventually fill up

the memory with tracks I don't want. On the 60CSx it was easy to save and delete

a track. Seems to me that this feature should be available on the Colorado.

Anybody have any further info on this?

the memory with tracks I don't want. On the 60CSx it was easy to save and delete

With my 300 I did an experiment by "ärchiving" my track and it gets saved in the Garmin/GPX/Archive folder. When I connected to the PC it was in that folder where I then opened it in Mapsource to see what it did. It separated a big chunk of track data to make room for the "current" track data it appears. Anders has detailed how this functions in these pages much better than I.

You can not delete an archived track in the field as far as I know, but this is not a problem. As Anders stated when the track points hit a max number (near 10,000) it automatically archives a "chunk" which will allow you to continuously record track data. Search for his description for more info. If I find it I'll note it.

With my 300 I did an experiment by "ärchiving" my track and it gets saved in the Garmin/GPX/Archive folder. When I connected to the PC it was in that folder where I then opened it in Mapsource to see what it did. It separated a big chunk of track data to make room for the "current" track data it appears. Anders has detailed how this functions in these pages much better than I.

You can not delete an archived track in the field as far as I know, but this is not a problem. As Anders stated when the track points hit a max number (near 10,000) it automatically archives a "chunk" which will allow you to continuously record track data. Search for his description for more info. If I find it I'll note it.

I put a bunch of track related information in the FAQ (see my signature for the link). I wouldn't worry about it. The auto-archiving feature of the tracklog will give you days, probably weeks of tracklog storage before you fill up anything. The auto-archive feature is detailed in the FAQ thanks to Anders.

But the answer to you question is, no you can't delete archived tracks from the GPS, you need to delete the GPX file when connected to your PC.

GO$Rs

Hardly. The Zumo 550 uses the same kind of automatic archiving as the Colorado does. My Zumo sees almost daily use. I haven't deleted anything from the archive files since April 11, 2007, and still have about 10% of the total space for archived and active track free.

This is using automatic tracking. For a holiday trip, there's no need for anything else. But if you insist of tracking once every second, then you'll run out of space, of course. But I see no need for that for a holiday trip. It will just save points you have no use for.

Note that archiving (saving) manually is not the same thing as this automatic archiving.

Another thing is that I agree that it makes sense to be able to delete a manually saved track on the Colorado.

Edited by apersson850

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not concerned with the auto-archiving, but as Anders put it, the manually saved (archived on the Colorado) tracks. On a month long trip I might save (archive) 2-3 tracks per day. At some point I would like to manage my saved tracks (in the field). Only 10-20% would be tracks that I'd like to preserve.

Without the ability to Delete and Rename archived (saved) tracks in the field I'm left with a lot to sort through when I get home. In addition if I don't have a computer available I have no means whatsoever to clean things up. If I can delete a waypoint, I should be able to delete an archived (saved) track.

Speaking of renaming - I don't think you can rename a saved track either. So when I realize in the middle of that month trip that the track I save was really to Eden Lake not Deadman Pool I can't rename.

Dan

I think you can name the track when you save it only.

My experience is also that as the Zumo, which has a similar automatic track archive function, splits up the tracks in activities, based on when and where you route to etc. That makes them much more manageable than if they were saved in one big chunk.

My suggestion is that you give it a try, using the automatic archive only (unless you need the track for something along the road), then extract these you need for something when you come home. I simply save the archives, so I have them to dig into if I need something in the future.

I can see a definite need to be able to delete /edit name manually saved tracks in the field.

Also need be able to "display on map" more than one selected track at a time by checking box when selecting on track list page.(available on previous 60/76 models) Valuable when snowmobiling /hiking in backcountry to be able to visually identify, on the GPSr, your position in relationship to an established route/trail.

Picture a "main trail" with numerous "side or branch" trails off of it, each saved as individual tracks. When you come upon a trail in a "whiteout", which one is it? Odds are that it would probably be one of the "ones NOT displayed" since only one can be displayed at a time.

Correctly identifying which trail it is may determine which way you need to turn to reach safety.

Here, here! This is what I have been saying, and I have emailed Garmin on this as well as other issues. I just got a reply from Garmin this morning regarding exactly this track issue, and in part this is what they said; "Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will add that to the list, and rest assure we will!" So they are listening and I am confident we will get our concerns addressed in time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the latest 2.4/2.6 update still does not allow one to delete archived tracks on the Colorado in the field. I'm aware of how to do this when connected to a PC - but feel it is important for

an outdoor unit to be Field Maintainable. I hope they address this issue with the next update.