Opinions

reptlcal

I have a few questions about caching not listed anywhere.

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some elnse? Leave or "found it"?

2. What should you do if you found the caches log and toys but no container and you do not have a container?

3. A muggle found a cache with a dif of 4 and messed it up so it is easy. I find it and sign the log. Does that count as a find?

4. A person recently found my cache but was to lazy to get it and instead took a photo. Is that OK?

5. I found a puzzle cache on accident. Is that a find?

Thanks everyone! :unsure:

Wow, and I thought I ask circumstantial questions, but these are actually quite relevant. I can say now that there is probably going to be a lot of different views that will cause lots of arguing. All I can really say is play the game how you want to play it, how you think it is fair using the guidlines and common sense. This is what I would do:

1. I've placed island caches with my dad and then come back later with my girlfriend to sign the log. The hides are pretty easy and they are only numbers. I just like the canoe ride anda log shows I've been there.

2. It's never happened to me, but sometimes I have replacement containers, or even a ziploc. If I didn't, and it was local, I would take it with me and notify the owner. I think its better that than leaving the rest for dead.

3. It probably isnt a four if a muggle came across it that easily. Just hide it how you found it or a little harder as intended and notify the owner.

4. I would say delete the log unless there was a really good reason not to. I at least want to hold a cache before I log a find.

5. I would start by posting a note that you found it and maybe solve the puzzle to get a legit smiley.

1. I wouldn't find it.

2. Tell the owner, attempt to rehide

3. I would say....yes

4. So they're there.....they actually find the cache, but do not sign the log? If it is a picture of the actual container....probably. If actually retrieving the cache is important to the difficulty or point of the cache....hhhhmmm......maybe not.

5. I give up on that one........... :unsure:

1) Place a cache with someone else? Same as placing it yourself. No find.

2) Found log but container missing? Same as found container but log missing. Take your smilie, and log "Needs Maintenance".

3) Sign log, get smiley. Notify owner.

4) Too lazy to sign log? No smiley. Same as: 'Too many muggles around', or 'it was 45' up the tree.'

5) Found cache, signed log? Get smiley. I brute forced one! Signed log. Got smiley.

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some elnse? Leave or "found it"?

2. What should you do if you found the caches log and toys but no container and you do not have a container?

3. A muggle found a cache with a dif of 4 and messed it up so it is easy. I find it and sign the log. Does that count as a find?

4. A person recently found my cache but was to lazy to get it and instead took a photo. Is that OK?

A lot of this is opinion....

1. I wouldn't personally log a find having known where it was.

2. Log a needs maintenance and CITO the trash and preserve contents that are salvageable for the owner.

3. Yes, then I'd work with owner to properly replace it if they needed help.

4. Imo, sure...if they "found" it, just based on what little you provided.

5. Imo, no, unless you can subsequently solve the puzzle.

I have placed a cache with someone else before, and I personally didn't log a find, nor do I intend to ever log a find. I felt that since I was with the person when they hid the cache, it wouldn't be right for me to say that I "found" it, since I was there when it was placed. But, this is an ethical question more than anything so how you handle it is up to you.

In this case, I would pick up the log and toys and bring it home. I would leave a note on the cache page saying the container was in disarray and then send an email to the owner saying that you took the contents home. Ask her if she wants you to place a new container, or mail the contents to her. Then proceed as she wishes. Logging a find shouldn't be a problem since you did find the contents, but I'd check with the owner just to be safe.

I would repair the cache as best I could so that others couldn't find it easily again. If I couldn't do that I would mail the owner and let her know. Either way, I'd let the owner know what happened. Again, logging a find shouldn't be a problem, but asking the owner what she wants you to do about the find would be the best way to go.

This is entirely up to you as the cache owner. If you feel that seeing the cache is enough to log a find, then let that person keep their found log. If you feel that they need to physically sign the log, then by all means delete the find log.

This is another ethical question more than anything. I personally would log it as a find. Muggles sometimes log caches they found by accident when they decide to try the hobby for themselves, so I wouldn't have a problem logging an accidental find personally.

1. I wouldn't claim a find.

2. I would probably pick up the remains and post a note asking the owner to Disable until repaired. And I wouldn't claim a find. Just like number 3

3. I would say....yes, but you could wait until it's replaced and then try again. Finding it re-hidden will probably be tough.

4. No.

5. Ask the owner if you could claim a find, but I personally would solve the puzzle and then return to the site to sign the logbook even though I know where it's at. Why should I be punished for an accidental find?

It's all up to you in the end, but here are my opinions.

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some elnse? Leave or "found it"? no find

2. What should you do if you found the caches log and toys but no container and you do not have a container? If you have the log and contents, I'd say you found it. I'd probably pack out the remains and e-mail the owner.

3. A muggle found a cache with a dif of 4 and messed it up so it is easy. I find it and sign the log. Does that count as a find? Sure, you found it

4. A person recently found my cache but was to lazy to get it and instead took a photo. Is that OK? Not if it was my cache. I'd delete the log

5. I found a puzzle cache on accident. Is that a find? You found it. I'd ask the owner and see what he thinks, but I'd probably log it because I found it

I was frustrated today because I almost had to do this. The last finder of a cache I found had wedged the ammo can deep into its hollow log at the wrong angle, and to make matters worse, water had pooled beneath it and frozen it in place. Since it was on the ground, and actually completing its retrieval was not as important to the hide as getting to and locating it, I would have counted it as a find. (Luckily, I was able to kick it loose, so it was a moot point.) It's all up to you as the cache owner, but I would propose a rule of thumb: if you can touch it with both hands, then it counts as a find. That way, the person who climbs a tree or rappels down a cliff does not have their effort wasted by a frozen or stuck cache. Again, though, it's your call.

I know I'll catch hell for that answer, but keep in mind that it's sort of a last resort.

Edited by MountainRacer

Okay, here is my take on these matters:

While I would probably not do so myself, I feel that it is fine to claim a find if that is important to you, but you may wish to make REALLY CLEAR in your paper log entry and the online log entry that it is an informal "did-with-cacher" find and that it is NOT an FTF find!

I would sign the log, and lacking a container, perhaps put the remnants in a ziplock bag and hide it well, and then I would notify the owner and also log a "Needs Maintenance" log in addition to my find log.

Yes.

No. No. No. Ten thousand times no!

Of course!

1) Want your find/placed total to be right? You have to log it as found. You can't share a hide. Don't care? Ignore it and then put it on your watch list.

2) Normally I'd grab the log and the toys and let the owner know I have them and that their cache appears to be MIA. Then I'd coordinate them getting their log and toys.

3). You found it. IF you know it's messed up let the owner know so they can fix it. It's a find.

4) Sure it's ok. You may choose to delte their log though. It's really the cache owenrs call.

5) Blind luck is a valid way to solve a puzzle.

leave

Pick up the remains and post a "needs maintanence" log. Also email the owner with your findings.

Yup.

Nope. Email them and tell them to delete their log until they can sign the log book. If they don't delete it on their own, delete for them after a few days.

I wouldn't do it, but that's up to you.

Good questions Reptlcal.

1 - Depends on the situation. I have been and have had what we call Beta Testers who actually do find the cache but do not log until after someone else grabs the FTF.

2 - Clean up the best you can and notify the cache owner! Do your best to return the goods to the hider. Especially the log.

3 - Consider it a rescue mission and find it! Remember, you are the eyes for the hider. In that case be sure to advise the cache owner.

4 - Do you have an alternative logging requirement for the cache? If not, is it situated in such a way that it can be seen but difficult or unsafe to reach? I can see where someone of limited abilities may not desire to risk life & limb to climb a tree just for a smiley. In that case, what's the harm?

5 - Again, this would depend entirely on the cache owners ALR if any. You found it and signed the log, thus proving that you did indeed find it. Is it so important to the cache owner that you rounded off Pi to the 37,456 digit? If so, one would expect some validation requirement before logging.

1) What we did was -- one of us helped with the hide. The other had completely no idea where it was so when we went back later the one who helped stood back and laughed, the other one eventually made the find, and we logged a find.

2)We would put the stuff in a baggie and hide it again - the log was there, we signed it, so we log a find, AND a needs maintenance. If it was a local cacher that we knew, we might gather up the stuff for them and drop it in to them later in the day -- knid of a needs maintenance log in person.

3) You found it and signed the log - it's a find. Fix it up as best you can and log a needs maintenance as well as logging your find. For our own personal satisfaction, if it was a local cache or a place we visited again, we likely would go and have another look once it was fixed, but not if it was one we found while on vacation far away.

4) No log, no find for us!! A photo isn't enough for any of our caches -- but then we don't live in an area where the cache might freeze in or anything like that. We have a local cache that has a specific retrevial method, that we personally had to visit three times (even though we knew exactly where the cache container was and could see it - after a fashion) before we signed the log and claimed our smilie.

5) Personally we most likely would not claim a find, we might write in the log book and log a note to say we were there, and then maybe try to solve the puzzle so we could claim our smilie - again this may vary depending if it were a cache that was far away.

Just what we would do

Annie

1. Can't "find" something if you know where to look.

2. Log a DNF with notes about missing container. Offer to return leftovers.

3. Found it - log it - not your fault is was misplaced/misrated.

4. Delete the log with a note explaining that the challenge of retrieving it was intentional. Be friendly.

5. Accidental finds are still finds. I have bumped into a cache once while chasing my boys through the trees. - no problem. Be prepared for the owner to delete my log though.

Once I had to log without sign the book, but by take a picture, 'cause the cache container was "hidden" under dirt !!! I had no gloves with me and I was really pissed off 'bout the owner 'cause it was clear that the dirt was already there before!

Reg,

Martin

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some elnse? Leave or "found it"? no find

2. What should you do if you found the caches log and toys but no container and you do not have a container? If you have the log and contents, I'd say you found it. I'd probably pack out the remains and e-mail the owner.

3. A muggle found a cache with a dif of 4 and messed it up so it is easy. I find it and sign the log. Does that count as a find? Sure, you found it

4. A person recently found my cache but was to lazy to get it and instead took a photo. Is that OK? Not if it was my cache. I'd delete the log

5. I found a puzzle cache on accident. Is that a find? You found it. I'd ask the owner and see what he thinks, but I'd probably log it because I found it

Wellll, sometimes Brian and I DO think alike. :smile:

Saved me the typing. :D

Wellll, sometimes Brian and I DO think alike. :smile:

Saved me the typing. :D

Wow. Me, Too.

Way to go, BrianSnat.

1. No find.

2. Sign the log, haul out the junk, log the find, flag for maintenance with a clear statement that there is NOTHING at the posted coordinates and that it needs to be disabled or archived immediately. Offer to mail the stuff to the owner, or at least just the logbook.

3. Of course. Be sure and let the owner know their cache has been compromised.

4. How did they "find" it without "getting" it? Depends for me. If you deliberately placed the cache where someone short couldn't reach it, or someone with large hands couldn't retrieve it, maybe you should allow it. Sometimes "lazy" isn't the problem.

5. Log that puppy! Luck trumps skill.

hmm, not exactly the same scenario, but I found a cache up in the nearby mountains. I "signed" the log, took a TB and dropped one off, and headed on my merry way. As I'm halfway down the mountain, and as a storm is starting to blow, I realize that I did write a note in the log, but I did not put my name. Hey, I'm still very new at this, it hasn't become habit yet. I did have a picture of the container with my GPSr so I added that to my online log as proof I was there, but I suppose some people would question that. Since then, there has been snow, rain, and flooding in the area. Would you consider that a legitimate log, or do I need to return when the weather is better, and put my name on that page of the logbook?

4. How did they "find" it without "getting" it? Depends for me. If you deliberately placed the cache where someone short couldn't reach it, or someone with large hands couldn't retrieve it, maybe you should allow it. Sometimes "lazy" isn't the problem.

I disagree with this.

Retrieving the cache, getting it open, and signing the logbook is a big part of the game.

If the cache is up a tree, I need to figure out how to get it down (and back up).

If the cache is in a tiny hole, I need to figure out how to get it out.

If the cache is locked, I need to figure out how to unlock it.

I find it interesting the answers people are giving for #5. Why should an accidental find on a puzzle cache be any different than a accidental find on any other type of cache? An accidental find is one where you don't have the co-ords - whether it's because you didn't solve a puzzle, or were unaware of a new cache, or whatever. Muggles find caches all the time, and some then go on and join in the craziness and start caching, does that first accidental find not count?

My thoughts: an accidental find is valid whether you didn't have the co-ords because it they are "hidden" by a puzzle, or "hidden" by a cache you didn't know about, or "hidden" by you not knowing about caching.

I find it interesting the answers people are giving for #5. Why should an accidental find on a puzzle cache be any different than a accidental find on any other type of cache? An accidental find is one where you don't have the co-ords - whether it's because you didn't solve a puzzle, or were unaware of a new cache, or whatever. Muggles find caches all the time, and some then go on and join in the craziness and start caching, does that first accidental find not count?

My thoughts: an accidental find is valid whether you didn't have the co-ords because it they are "hidden" by a puzzle, or "hidden" by a cache you didn't know about, or "hidden" by you not knowing about caching.

Intent.

Looking through the replies on #5 people either gave their opinion about how they would handle it themselves, or gave suggestions on how other finders might want to address logging it in case the owner objected. No angst. No one brought up that other people shouldn't log it.

In my opinion, when it comes to a puzzle cache the owner intended me to have an experience solving the puzzle and then finding the cache. I'm willing to take on the challenge and yea, I might fail. So I'm not going to log it since I didn't 'walk the maze'.

You want to log it since you signed the logbook? Go for it. Nothing wrong with one of those hard finds that fall into your lap. (and the owner allows it)

Just hope you aren't missing out on some of the fun. that's all. Log it if you can and keep on caching.

Intent.

Looking through the replies on #5 people either gave their opinion about how they would handle it themselves, or gave suggestions on how other finders might want to address logging it in case the owner objected. No angst. No one brought up that other people shouldn't log it.

In my opinion, when it comes to a puzzle cache the owner intended me to have an experience solving the puzzle and then finding the cache. I'm willing to take on the challenge and yea, I might fail. So I'm not going to log it since I didn't 'walk the maze'.

You want to log it since you signed the logbook? Go for it. Nothing wrong with one of those hard finds that fall into your lap. (and the owner allows it)

Just hope you aren't missing out on some of the fun. that's all. Log it if you can and keep on caching.

I have logged a few puzzle caches that I did not solve in the intended manner. For some I determined, based on the cache page and the puzzle, where the final "should" be and I went and found it. I solved the "puzzle" my own way and proudly signed the log and claimed the smiley.

Sometimes I have solved the puzzle in a way the owner never considered. I haven't had any owner give me grief because I didn't use the intended method to figure out where the cache was located. One owner asked me to supply the info as to how I solved a puzzle so she could use it for providing hints to future cachers. I came up with a completely valid solution that she had never considered when she designed the puzzle.

Granted, these aren't accidental finds, but I think they work in the same realm. I found the cache by using a different method than what you intended. Thanks for the cache!

If you were there when it was hidden, I say you are a helper in hiding it and it would be very lame to log it as found. That is a situation I'd try to avoid in the first place.

I've been there. I gathered what I could together and got it in a spot where it was "cache like" minus the container. (I think I had a ziplok bag with me) I signed the log. Then once I got online I logged a find and a Needs Maintaince log. The owner later replaced the cache with a new container.

Sure, name in the logbook = a find. I'd notify the owner about the situation.

Your call, if you don't like it, delete their log. If your cool with it, thats fine as well. As the cache owner you make the decision as to what goes and what does not.

Did you sign the log? If you did, I'd call it a find. Name in the logbook = a find.

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some else? Leave or "found it"? Put it on my ignore list so it doesn't show up in my PQ's and post it to a bookmark list so I get mail when it gets logs posted to it. I can't find something I helped hide. I've got several listings that fit this situation.

2. What should you do if you found the caches log and toys but no container and you do not have a container? I'd sign the log and claim a find. If it was local, I'd gather everything up and arrange to meet the owner to turn it over to them. If I was traveling, I'd try to find some sort of shelter for the contents and email the owner with the situation asap.

3. A muggle found a cache with a dif of 4 and messed it up so it is easy. I find it and sign the log. Does that count as a find? Yup

4. A person recently found my cache but was to lazy to get it and instead took a photo. Is that OK?Np[e

5. I found a puzzle cache on accident. Is that a find?Yup

I'd allow a find unless getting the container out or down from or whatever was part of the difficulty rating and part of the hunt. If one forgot a pen or one broke or the one in the cache didn't work.....

Giving an opinion would have been much easier had you provided a link.

Depends on what "lazy" means..... if you get my drift.

I haven't looked over anybody elses answers....I'm gonna give my opinion to the issue.

Depends on the situation.....if I were to be with somebody when they hide a cache, I probably would never log it. If I am attending an event, and their is a cache that is going to be placed for the event and I am there when the cache is being placed, then I will log it as a find

It is still a find! Log the find, and then send a note to the owner explaining the situation.

Yes! It is the owners responsibility to keep the container up to date. If you found the container and signed the log, you can post a found on the internet.

I would not accept that as a find! The log book must be signed in order to warrant the logging of the find online. Their are exceptions to this however......such as, the person is unable to get to the container because of a physical handicap. I would probably accept picture proof if I know the situation ahead of time. For the most time, pure laziness is not an excuse and I would not accept the find.

You found the container.....that qualifies for a find!

Thanks everyone! :lol:

1. If you helped "hide" it, how can you "find" it?

2. Sign the log. Stash in a "safe" location. Note it in the log. Post needs maintenance. Contact owner directly.

3. You found it, you sign log and notify owner of what you believe to be the issue.

4. Nope. No logee, no findee.

5. You found it.

whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't count it as a find, but if you want to, good for you.

depending on the location, put them in a nice pile, log a needs maintenance.

how do you know? Just because it's "easy" doesn't mean someone came and "messed it up". If you found it, it's a find.

Sure. They found it, they have proof. Unless the log was really stupid I can't imagine having a problem with this.

Not for me. If I accidentally found a cache, I'd put a note, not a find. If someone found a cache of mine by accident and wanted to log it as a find I wouldn't delete it, but I'd think it was lame.

Happened to me recently. I was hiking past a cache I'd found, checked up on it, found that the ammo can had been ripped off (that's 101 other threads but no linky). The contents had been left but the baggies were not in good shape and the stuff was going to get wet soon. Packed it out, emailed owner, mailed contents to owner, who thanked me.
Depends on my attitude. :D If I think they were really lazy, no banana. :lol: Most other reasons, hey, they posted a photo! I like that! I like seeing photos people took at my cache! Hey, there's a great photo of tozainamboku at the steering wheel of one of my caches! When someone has fun AND passes some of that fun on to me, I'll grant them a LOT of slack.
Lotsa good answers already, of course that won't stop me. Found one puzzle cache where the description was enough to find it without solving the puzzle if you read carefully, and it was obviously a for-fun puzzle and not intended as a serious challenge. If I found a puzzle cache where the owner was obviously serious about the puzzle, I'd probably skip logging it as a find. Note maybe. Unless the owner annoyed me, in which case I'd log the find anyway. :lol:

Edward

Thanks everyone! :lol:

1. I would "find it", but include in my log that I was with the owner when it was placed thus forfeiting my chance at being FTF.

2. I'd sign the log and log a find. Then I would e-mail the owner telling them exactly what I found so that they can do maintenance if necessary.

3. Yes, that is a find. However, for the sake of the owner and future cachers, I would e-mail the owner telling them exactly what I found so that they can do maintenance if necessary.

4. If it is your cache then you decide if that is ok. If it were my cache I would delete their find log and tell them that an online without a cooresponding sig in the cache log book will be deleted as I state on the cache page of every one of my caches.

5. Heck yeah thats a find. I know of 2 puzzle caches I have found without solving the puzzle. One completely by accident and one that I used clues from other logs to find. Yer darn straight I logged both of them found because I signed the log in each cache.

Not for me. If I accidentally found a cache, I'd put a note, not a find. If someone found a cache of mine by accident and wanted to log it as a find I wouldn't delete it, but I'd think it was lame.

I don't think it's lame at all... that's why we include a copy of the "Congratulations -- You found it! Intentionally or not!" stashnote in our caches.

I don't think it's lame at all... that's why we include a copy of the "Congratulations -- You found it! Intentionally or not!" stashnote in our caches.

I see your point, and I understand what you are saying. But, I still think it's lame to take credit for solving a puzzle when you didn't. Just my opinion. :lol:

I see your point, and I understand what you are saying. But, I still think it's lame to take credit for solving a puzzle when you didn't. Just my opinion. :huh:

But I wouldn't "take credit" for solving a puzzle, I would "take credit" for finding the cache and signing the log.

I see your point, and I understand what you are saying. But, I still think it's lame to take credit for solving a puzzle when you didn't. Just my opinion. :lol:

But I wouldn't "take credit" for solving a puzzle, I would "take credit" for finding the cache and signing the log.

Just my opinion. :huh:

People that don't solve them can note that in their find logs. The way I feel about my puzzle caches is that the people that want to have fun and solve them can and the ones that don't can hang with the people that did and find them too. This maximizes the fun for everyone! :huh:

1. What should you do if you place a cache with some else? Leave or "found it"?

Thanks everyone! :huh:

1) There is a perfectly legit way to accomplish this. If you let your buddy hide the cache without you looking and then have him give you the coords then you can find it then you can log as a beta-tester. It's actually helpful to check out the coords.

2) Needs maintenance log.

3) Yes. You can comment in your log what difficulty you thought it was.

4) I need more info.

5) Yes.

I see your point, and I understand what you are saying. But, I still think it's lame to take credit for solving a puzzle when you didn't. Just my opinion. :huh:

Just my opinion. :huh:

As said, The owner may not allow it. So, some choices might not work in all situations. Please keep that in mind. :lol:

I'd ask the cache owner.

I'd collect everything up to keep it safe and email the cache owner to find out what he wants done with it within' reason.

I'd ask the cache owner.

I'd ask the cache owner, errr, I mean thats up to you to determine.

I'd ask the cache owner.

Thanks everyone! :huh:

Your welcome.