60csx SD card capacity

watashi

New owner of a Garmin 60csx and I can't find info on how much data the Sd card will hold. I think I will buy the 2 gig card and wonder how much it will hold. I will probably buy the US topo software, will it hold it all? Half? Also, I have heard that the maps can be downloaded to more than one unit, true? The Blue Charts I use on my boat gps are dedicated to my boat gps (I think).

Thanks

Jim

New owner of a Garmin 60csx and I can't find info on how much data the Sd card will hold. I think I will buy the 2 gig card and wonder how much it will hold. I will probably buy the US topo software, will it hold it all? Half? Also, I have heard that the maps can be downloaded to more than one unit, true? The Blue Charts I use on my boat gps are dedicated to my boat gps (I think).

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Interesting I'm going to buy a 60CSx very soon myself and had the same question. I called Garmin's tech support with a number of questions one of them was yours.

I was told a 2GB card will hold all of the Map Source City Navigator Maps, I would assume it would hold all of the TOPO also. You can call Garmin @ 800-800-1020 to check it out. Have fun with the new toy :unsure: .

Barefoot One & Wench

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Interesting I'm going to buy a 60CSx very soon myself and had the same question. I called Garmin's tech support with a number of questions one of them was yours.

I was told a 2GB card will hold all of the Map Source City Navigator Maps, I would assume it would hold all of the TOPO also. You can call Garmin @ 800-800-1020 to check it out. Have fun with the new toy :smile: .

Barefoot One & Wench

Thanks, for the info, I liked my old etrex, but this thing is a real hot rod.

Jim

It will hold about 2/3 of the continental U.S. The entire 48 states are 3.13 gig

but 4 gig if you can

True, on the Topo only 2/3 maybe a little less can be loaded on the 2 gig card. The 60CSX will not support a 4 gig card though. So you are limited to a 2 gig card. Best Buy has a 2 gig micro sd on sale for 25 bucks this week.

Another issue with that is that the topo maps consist of more map segments than the 60 CSx will allow at the same time. You have to modify your maps to make the segments larger, so you get fewer, or it will not work even if it fits the card itself.

Does micro SD exist in larger capacity than 2 GB?

SanDisk makes a 4GB MicroSD, but it is high capacity (microSDHC).

"On January 7, 2008, during CES, SanDisk announced an as yet unpriced 12GB (104 GB/cm3) microSDHC card." (Wikipedia)

2GB seems to be the limit on normal microSD.

2GB also seems the limit on regular full-sized SD, but I used to buy 4GB standard cards. Now they are SDHC.

Parsa