The 2008 Montana Geocoin

yumitori

The Montana geocachers are happy to announce that Montana's first 'official' geocoin is now available for orders.

The 2 inch coin is in the shape of the state, has two-sided 3-D relief, and comes in gold and silver in deference to Montana's motto. There were a total of 500 of each metal minted. The coins is trackable at geocaching.com and has a unique icon - icon5-32.gif

The Gold version -

PrototypeObverse-Gold.jpg

PrototypeReverse-Gold.jpg

The Silver version -

MontanaObverse-Silver.jpg

MontanaReverse-Silver.jpg

The obverse commemorates Lewis & Clark's explorations through the state. Typical geocachers, they are searching elsewhere while overlooking the ammo can near their feet. The reverse is of Granite Peak, the highest point in the state (and incidentally the location of Montana's highest geocache), with its coordinates and benchmark.

Prices will be as follows -

$9.00 per geocoin

$2.00 + 0.50 per coin shipping & handling

So if for example you order 5 gold and 5 silver, your total would be

($9.00 * 10) + $2.00 + (0.50 * 10) = $97.00

One coin would be $11.50 with shipping, two are $21 and so forth.

Payment will be through PayPal, sent to my gmail.com e-mail address, username 'yumitori'. E-mail me with the number of each type you wish, and I'll send you an invoice for the total. If for any reason you don't 'do' PayPal, contact us for an address to send money orders to.

Be sure to include your geocaching name as well as your real name and address. If you have any questions or comments please e-mail me directly, either through my geocaching.com profile or to my gmail account. I may not see something posted in response to this message.

Ron/yumitori

Agreed - I typically don't like shaped coins as much as round but I LOVE the design on the backside - especially the way the benchamrk was done.

Well done!

If anybody is willing to trade for this one for an older coin (new collectors??) please email me.

If I get no bites in a few days I'll be buying a gold one.

Yumitori brought these to a couple of Helena events to show the local cachers and I have to say they turned out very nice. Although I admit I may be a bit biased due to my location and the place the coin represents :unsure:

I'm happy Montana is now on the geocoin map! Thank you yumitori for taking this on, nice job. I believe Montana has a coin it can be proud of.

tsun :unsure:

PS: I will have some for trade, I ordered quite a few and will probably order more.

I've sent out invoices to everyone I have received an order from. If you've e-mailed me but haven't gotten a response yet, we'll need to try again. Make sure your e-mail address is in your message and let me know this is a second try. I'll double-check and see if I got the first one or not and if the invoice was sent. We'll figure out any problems from there.

Ron/yumitori

Really, it was a synthesis. A number of us had Montana-shaped designs and there were three or four of us who had some variant of Lewis & Clark's travels through the state for the obverse. The reverse was another matter; lots of ideas, very little agreement, until Brian proposed using Granite Peak and its benchmark.

The coins are in!

We'll be holding a mailing party in the near future to get them packaged up and shipped out.

I know there's been occasional issues with coin pre-sales in the past and some folks might be leery of ordering from an 'unknown' source, so if anyone has been holding off on buying since the coins weren't available yet, wait no longer!

Ohhhhhhhh Beautiful coin!!!!!

I'm going to guess that there are still some left? Since I visited Yellowstone years ago and was in MT and Wyoming... I will have to get some of these. I love the benchmark in the coin!! (we like hunting benchmarks as well as caches)

Someday I want to get back out West to see Yellowstone, the Badlands and all those things I've seen years ago....... and it'll be fun snapping up all the Earthcaches as well, LOL! :blink: