US topo 24k National Parks

beauxp

A new release?

I wonder what they would change? The maps themselves can't be any better than the current version, and it hasn't been out all that long.

I thought they came out with version 3 more than a year and 1/2 ago. figured since they just came out with USA Topo 2008 and new street program that this would be next.

Also thought I saw something about this. Maybe not.

Shame they don't put some sort of trail routing within the regular topo program.

As far as I know, Garmin made a couple updates to that series after introduction. That’s why it says V.3. I think the difference is in how many parks in each version, subsequent versions included more.

I certainly hope that they sell a DEM version so that we can use it on the Colorado. These maps are much more detailed than the Topo.

I for one would like to see more coverage. ALL state parks and forests, and national parks and forests would be a good start. DEM data and map shading would be great.

Ideally, I'd like to see a new line of topo maps that show complete state by state coverage at 1:24K. I'd pony up cash for a disk with 1:24K coverage of California.

A new release?

I wonder what they would change? The maps themselves can't be any better than the current version, and it hasn't been out all that long.

I thought they came out with version 3 more than a year and 1/2 ago. figured since they just came out with USA Topo 2008 and new street program that this would be next.

Also thought I saw something about this. Maybe not.

Shame they don't put some sort of trail routing within the regular topo program.

I have version 2 of West and East and Version 3 of Central. Main difference I see between version 2 and 3 is that 3 is shaded to make it look 3d. The two best benefits to me with these products is that it is more detail (example, more elevation lines, more trails, mapsites, ect) and you can route on the trails on these products. That is really nice.

beauxp, I have requested a screen shot in a previous post of a location and got no takers. The reason I am asking is I know there is a trail in this area and Topo 2008 does not show it. I was wondering if NP24K shows a trail leading up to the glacier. I am just trying to justify buying more $$ software. If you could post a screenshot of N40 17.248 W105 41.035 I would appreciate it . Thanks

I did a screen shot, but I am not sure how to post it.

Two closest trails are 1/2 mile away due to the West is North Inlet Trail and 1 mile to the east is Loch Vale Trail.

Tell me how to post and I will do it.

I went to the Rocky Mountain National Park last year, loved it.

Edited by beauxp

beaux, thank you so much for the screenshot. We went to RMNP in Sept this year and were right in time for the aspens to turn. They were in full blaze by the time we left and really made for some nice photos. There is a trail that leads from the Loch up through the Gash and on up to Andrews tarn. It is not shown in Topo 2008 either and is why I wanted a screenshot of NP24K. You've helped me decide that I really don't need the 24K sw and I can quit bugging everyone for info and screenshots! I've used NG Trails Illustrated and a compass in the past. Combine this with my new gpsr and Topo2008 and I reckon I will stay "found."

http://littlemountainphotography.smugmug.c...74355#206074697

Here is a link to some photos of the area. If you make back to RMNP be sure to put this hike on your list. Not my photos BTW

go here to see the map

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7513252

No problem. After I posted that photo I thought about another program I have National Geographics National Parks Explorer 3d. It has the trail you are talking about. Also with this program you can trace the trails to set up routes and save them as .gpx files or upload them to your garmin. Here is a screen shot from it.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7533392

Check it out. I think this might be what you are looking for

Thx for the screenshot again. I actually bought the NG 3D program last year. It has some pretty cool features. Love the fly over in 3D! I reckon my best bet is to consult both programs and load trails when I see Topo is missing them. I wish I could load the NG maps into my gpsr, I think they are the best I've come across for hiking. It would really be nice to display that kind of mapping in my gpsr. Thanks again for your help, I certainly appreciate it!