A couple Garmin HCx question

mdrj6783

I just picked up a Garmin HCx after owning the original Legend for a short while and now I have a couple questions. Can anyone help me out?

1) The original Legend came with a nice carry case so I could attach it to the strap of my backpack where it was easily accessible. The HCx has no carry case and I can't find one on the web. How is everyone carrying their HCx? The lanyard is not practical as it will flop around.

2) If I upload maps to the SD, how does the GPS know which map to use? I may have Topo and street nav loaded at the same time (biking / hiking trip) and I may need both map sets. should I just buy multiple SD cards and load one map to each (wish there were a place for on-board micro SD storage). Along the same line, how does the GPS know to access the SD card for the map vs. using the preloaded basemap?

3) Has anyone mounted their HCx to a bicycle? Where did you get the mount? Do you like it? I see some available, but they say that it's an Etrex mount and I can't tell if it will convert easily.

Thanks so much.

Mike

1) The original Legend came with a nice carry case so I could attach it to the strap of my backpack where it was easily accessible. The HCx has no carry case and I can't find one on the web. How is everyone carrying their HCx? The lanyard is not practical as it will flop around.

I don't have an answer for this one yet. Being winter out, I am carrying it in my jacket pocket. Don't know what I will do when it warms up. I will probably get some kind of belt holster.

2) If I upload maps to the SD, how does the GPS know which map to use? I may have Topo and street nav loaded at the same time (biking / hiking trip) and I may need both map sets. should I just buy multiple SD cards and load one map to each (wish there were a place for on-board micro SD storage). Along the same line, how does the GPS know to access the SD card for the map vs. using the preloaded basemap?

I don't know where, but somewhere in the settings of the GPS you tell it which set of maps to use, Topo or CN. Like you, I am considering getting a second card for the CN maps though it would be nice to have both on one card. Still up in the air on this one.

3) Has anyone mounted their HCx to a bicycle? Where did you get the mount? Do you like it? I see some available, but they say that it's an Etrex mount and I can't tell if it will convert easily.

You can get the mounts directly from Garmin for about $10. There are two sizes so make sure you measure your handlebars first. I plan to get one for my bicycle and motorcycle. Also, my Vista HCx came with a special clip you attach to the back to go into the mount. If you don't have that, you can buy the handlebar clamp and mount as a pair. I only need the clamp.

I just picked up a Garmin HCx after owning the original Legend for a short while and now I have a couple questions. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks so much.

Mike

As for the maps, you can load both topo and street maps on the same micro SD card. You cannot however view them both at the same time. Using the menu on the map page you must select which map set to have shown.

I'm using a semi hardshell case from Accucase for my Vista Cx and it works great. It has a belt loop on the back. It's a zippered closure and has velcro inside to hold the unit tight.

As for the map sets in your HCx... if it's the same as my Vista Cx then the following will get you to the window which allows you to choose which map set you want to enable/disable.

1. from the map page bring up the menu window.

2. scroll down to "setup map" and hit enter.

3. on map setup window scroll over to the 5th icon from the left, "information."

4. now hit the menu button and a list of all available maps will pop up.

5. you can scroll up/down to "hide or show" available map sets.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by bhj1