50 Waypoint Multicache?

Kojones

Did this cache: Obelsik Puzzle Cache a while back. It took about 240 miles of driving over several days. Had the chance to visit quite a few interesting spots. Waypoints will always be there. Final location was well worth it. Wishing for more more creative caches like this one.

ps: Just over 2 years old and just 19 finders. Read some of the logs. Many of them contain hours spent and miles driven.

Edited by WN1E

I wonder what the terrian would be like. Is it all in one area or have to drive around from place to place. I would go for it if it was all in one huge park but if I had to drive across a state I would probably skip it.

I did one a while back that consisted of 13 stages but at all the stages there was a possabily of two sets of cords. You would find a set and go on to the next stage and migth hit a dead end container. Then you would have to go back to the last stage and look within five feet of the dead end cords and those would take you on to the next stage. Lots and lots of hiking. But it was in a really large park. It was a lot of fun. It is still one of my favorite caches. All the hides where evil. I live about 2 and a half hours away from it and ended up making 4 trips down to finish it all. But it's one of those caches I won't forget and I would highly recommend it to anyone. A while back I got to meet the owner who was thinking about breaking it down to some smaller muti's but when I thanked him for placing and maintain it, he told me that right there made it all worth it.

Perhaps an alternative would be to set it up as a "geocaching golf" format. A series of 18 multi's, each with 3 stages -- that is a total of 54 waypoints. Like a golf course, the route takes you out and back. I think folks would be happier with eighteen smilies vs. just one smilie. Plus a whole lot easier to trouble-shoot and maintain. Think about the poor mug who gets to WP#36 only to find that it has been muggled -- no smilie for you!

A similar approach is already pretty common, and consists of a series where you find two caches along, say, a bike trail or road (hole #1 and hole #2) and then #3, also along the same trail or road, is a mystery hide that requires info from #1 and #2.

As far as dealing with the quantity of waypoints, the old BoB series in the Chicago area had 100 "Bottles of Beer" to find -- folks would rent Vespas and tear up and down through Evanston and Wilmette and get them all in one day (to be fair, the BoB's were really easy to find -- Genius Loci/Idiot Savant eventually had to take the series down due to people not knowing how to behave.)

As I have often read, "It is YOUR game, play it YOUR way!" If the waypoints are really rewarding, people will do it. 50 waypoints hidden in dead-end guardrails and lamp post skirts might get people upset.

Edited by MikeB3542

From some of the posts, it seems it's all about the numbers, of smilies that is!!!!!!!!! Make it a 50 waypoint multi through the mountains and you'll attract "real" geocachers and not just the "skirt lifters." I'd love to do a 50 waypoint multi along a mountain trek and only score one smilie!!!!!!!!

I don't care about the smileys. I love multis, but the kind that I can complete in a day, or two at the most. At the rate I cache, 50 stages could take me months to find. In that time a lot can happen, including stages going missing and the cache being archived. I'm not likely to start a cache that I know I'm not likely to finish and I think a 50 stage multi falls into that category.

Our most intriguing was Magoo's Multi in the Mud...

archived now, because it was a bear to maintain...

Not due to muggles necessarily, but the fact it was in a flood plain, that was under water a lot of the time...

and the stages took a real beating from the elements...

It was 6 stages and took Deb & I 17 hours to find all 6 stages...

In many, many visits...

Deb would go at lunch time some days on her own...

I don't recall just how many visits we made, but overall it took 17 hours of searching...

Over the course of a few weeks...

It was one of the best & most rewarding caches we have ever done...

The difficulty rating of 4 was right on spot...

And we got to see the ALBINO DEER TOO!!!

Considering this cache proposal...

I agree with briansnat...

a 50 stage multi would be near impossible to maintain...

Muggles, environment, etc. would all have to be considered...

I could see multiple stages go missing all the time, and make the search just a waste of time...

and a waste of time for the cache owner...

Why spend all the time and effort, when, if you are lucky...

You will get one, maybe two cachers that would even consider trying it?

You might get more people attempting the cache if you put $1000 in unmarked $100 bills as a FTF prize...

But once found... All interest would go down south...

I have a feeling you would have a very hard time even getting the cache approved by a reviewer...

All the work to place it and a good chance it will not be approved???

Waste of a lot of time & effort...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Very interesting ideas. To sum up the posts above... there are really 3 options for a cache:

-Place the 50-waypoint cache in a circle around the city

-Place multiple multis that lead to a bonus cache

-Place a single many-waypoint multi as a tour through the mountains

I'm leaning towards the multiple multis (I like the Geocache Golf idea).

But, I'm also going to look into placing a multi through the remote area of the mountains I will be hiking and climbing this summer.

Many posts indicate that I won't get many visitors, if any at all. I want to make a cache that is "Epic" to say the least. I have some other "Epic" ideas, and this was just one.

Any ideas you all can give me for an "Epic" cache? If you give me the idea, I can make it happen!

Thanks!

Kojones

Very interesting ideas. To sum up the posts above... there are really 3 options for a cache:

-Place the 50-waypoint cache in a circle around the city

-Place multiple multis that lead to a bonus cache

-Place a single many-waypoint multi as a tour through the mountains

I'm leaning towards the multiple multis (I like the Geocache Golf idea).

But, I'm also going to look into placing a multi through the remote area of the mountains I will be hiking and climbing this summer.

Many posts indicate that I won't get many visitors, if any at all. I want to make a cache that is "Epic" to say the least. I have some other "Epic" ideas, and this was just one.

Any ideas you all can give me for an "Epic" cache? If you give me the idea, I can make it happen!

Thanks!

Kojones

There you have it... multiple multi's that all add to a final "?" cache...

Have to do all the multi's to get clues for the Final "?" cache...

Now that is a caching series we would do...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

You can really drive 110 miles, get off/on the Interstate, look/find 50 caches, all in just two hours?

I would walk 10+ miles for 50 stages and one smiley, assuming the trail was scenic.

I would drive 110 miles only if each stage was interesting/exciting/scenic/educational.

I would not drive even 10 miles just for parking lots at exit ramps.

You can really drive 110 miles, get off/on the Interstate, look/find 50 caches, all in just two hours?

Probably not, but I said it would take 2 hours to drive it only as was the question posed by the other forum member. Keeping in mind, also, that the speed limit on at least half of the drive is 75mph (people go 90) and the rest is 65 (people go 85). We're fast drivers in Denver!

Kojones

My primary concern about a multi with 50 waypoints is that it potentially locks out 50 .1 mile radius areas from other caches all for the purpose of establishing a single "findable" cache. While this type of cache might be a fun challenge in many ways (and therefore attractive to a number of cachers) the potential pitfalls of such a cache combined with its potential to monopolize a large area, make it not very appealling to me.

My feeling is that the effort expended to hide 50 waypoints would be much better used to establish a series of multis and individual caches which can be found in whole or part, and which provide caching fun for a broader part of the caching community ("Find a few, or find 'em all!"). And you can still maintain the challenge of finding all 50 by establishing a finale cache that one can only find after logging all other 50 hides. (Ex: We have one here in NorCal where you have to log a cache in each of 72 topographic quadrants - once done, the owner provides you with the coordinates for the final.)

Nobody else has suggested this so I will:

What about making it a Wherigo cartridge? It's still going to have 50 points (if you go that route) but given the "new car smell" of Wherigo you may be able to attract more people to it since it's a new 'game'.

Likewise, with it being more interactive, it might break up the finding of 50 containers/locations.

Food for thought...

edit: typos (sigh)

Edited by kealia

50 waypoints? Nyet.

The multi would take the cacher in a loop around the city on the "beltway" we have. Basically they would end up where they started...

The reason I thought this up was because we really need such a thing here, I've decided, and I'd love to see the logs... everything from DNF's to Founds to Notes...

Kojones

Why does the area "need" a cache like that? :drama:

Very interesting ideas. To sum up the posts above... there are really 3 options for a cache:...

Actually if you sum up the responses in this thread, most are trying to discourage you for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons you should certainly be consider before taking this on.

Actually, those are the 3 options people suggested for a cache. The summation was not described as including the option of "not placing a cache." I decided that not placing a cache was stupid and that many of the ideas of breaking it into multiple caches were great. I've noticed people don't read posts closely to get a good understanding of what they mean before taking a jab at someone. So do not accuse me of not "be considering" the points above, as my post you reference certainly DOES consider the points people made.

Kojones

I would personally do a 50 waypoint cache because I'm all about a good challenge. However, I would only do it if it were on a trail or something with high difficulty rating. I don't really like park and grabs and other urban caches of the sort.

My group (TEAM NIGHTWATCH) have decided that quality is better than quantity. It's not very often that we will do a cache that is less than 3 stars, especially if it's terrain. One of our next caching adventures is Kit Fox's 100th placed cache called Operation Wreckhunter. If you found a great trail to place a huge multi on I would definitely go for it. In fact, I'll be in western colorado in mid-March and I would drive a ways to do that kind of a cache if you set it up!

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :laughing:

What is the longest multi you have found or placed?

My longest placed so far has 3 waypoints and a final, and my longest found had 2 waypoints and a final.

Please don't rip me a new one if you don't like the idea, but do express your opinion!

Thanks,

Kojones

If you post it I'll try to find it. Sounds fun.

Place it and they will come, at least I will.

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :lol:

My longest placed so far has 3 waypoints and a final, and my longest found had 2 waypoints and a final.

Please don't rip me a new one if you don't like the idea, but do express your opinion!

Thanks,

Kojones

If you post it I'll try to find it. Sounds fun.

My issue with one that long, or any over 2+final is that you spend all that time and effort and only come out with 1 find. Yes, the fun is in the find and I do like that aspect, but still the numbers are fun too. Plus, what if you get 30+ into it and then can't find a stage? I already hate it when I can't find, so a case like that would just send my over the top! My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Another not for me vote.

I recently did most of a cache marathon (26 caches in 26 miles) in the Charlotte area. It was ok for the numbers, and some of the hides were interesting. But, I also did a fair number of other caches in the area too. The 18 or so "easy" finds on the first trip to the area took most of an afternoon. 50 hides that take 5 min each to find will take all day, plus. All for one smiley is hardly worth the effort. I'd much rather do a couple of walks in the woods for ammo cans.

Oh, on the subject of the marathon, one was missing - on a 50 stage micro, that's a real buzz killer. And one, near a park enterance at night, brought a visit from a local LEO. Again, that would have killed the trip as we left the area without finding the cache.

Even 50 separate P&G caches would get boring pretty quickly.

Edited by tokencollector

I'd say you'd get many more visitors if you made 5 10-stage multis and maybe throw in a bonus cache where they collect 1/5 of the coords from each multi.

I think you would better off with this idea...

I've been caching a little over a year and finally managed to find all but three caches within 10 miles of where I live (the three are not very accessible in winter). I'd be pretty annoyed if I found live near the posted coordinates of a 50 stage multi and had that cache staring me in the face.

I think the maintenance issue on 50 placements would be a bit one. All it takes is one muggled stage for the entire cache to be useless.

I also agree with those that placing mutliple waypoints that offer nothing of interest other than it takes you to the next uninteresting waypoint isn't likely going to get a lot of people looking for it.

There is a Mile Marker series that has a cache in the vicinity of mile marker posts around Lake Tahoe. That, to me would be much more interesting than driving around the beltway in Denver.

Ha Ha 50 :blink::):) That's nothing compared to this cache I am working on

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...49-a4f44d6db511

It's a 41 stage cache that each cache is a micro hidden in woody areas :D

The caches aren't real easy and a couple miles between each stage.

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS! It is the experience, if you are doing geocaching for the numbers then it pointless; may as well just log random caches.

I like multis but 50 waypoints, that just sounds tedious.

I agree. The longest I've done is GC11JN4 (Kansas Legends), a 20-waypoint multi. The waypoints were all plaques you had too read to get the clue & final coords. It was in a huge outdoor shopping area so the terrain wasn't bad and it was all within the same area, so not a ton of walking. It was a fair bit of work to get though and still took a couple hours. I saw a 10-waypoint multi in a park recently while trying to fill out my Well Rounded Cacher grid, and I decided to pass on it -- there's enough hiking to take the better part of a full day, and it just ain't worth it for that one find.... just my $0.02 anyway.

I own 2 that are Infinately long. Course, they have only 27 waypoints each, but Its FUN(just ask the locals)!

Choose Your Own Adventure #1(GCTWTE)

Choose Your Own Adventure #2(GC10X8C)

I have a few points that have come up missing, so I'm in the process of repairing All the points of them both to make sure they are Perfect again.

The Steaks

I have also been planning a Multi-Cache that has at least fifty waypoints, but as many as 100. and also between each will have a very difficult puzzle, I was planning on using some ideas from "The Amazing race". The puzzles and caches will be very very hard and I expect the entire cache to take a few days if they work very hard and non-stop. I would expect it to take 1 week to 2 weeks. I no a lot of people would put this on their ignore list, but the locals around here don't give up for nothing!! Approximately 1 week after it is published, I bet one team (MutherAndSun) will have completed the cache. anyway, all that to say, I think it's a great idea!

I would probably pass on hunting this one, only because of resources to get 1 smiley. I'm not all about the numbers, but do keep track of them, and would rather look for a series of other caches before hunting this one.

I do have several serieses out that you get a smiley for each part, and then get the codes to find another "bonus" cache. Without the codes, the bonus one isn't solveable.

That kind of thing - maybe a series of small multis which end with a code, and then all those codes take me to the final, make sense... I'd do that.

Just MO.

I see two prolems with having a multi that has 50 waypoints

#1) Very few cachers will want to take the time

#2) Maintanance, if just one leg of the cache goes missing no one can finish it.

I second this motion (or thirtd or fourth or whatever).

I have a 5 stage multi but made that one close to home in case it needs a fix. There is a 10 stage in the area and very few people do it as it ALWAYS has a stage missing/broken/in need of repair.

As with anything in life, use the KISS Principel (no not the band) - Keep It Simple St......

As for 50 waypoints, if you have to ask, you don;t want to know. :drama:

There is a cache here in pensacola that has 10 waypoints where you collect the numbers for the 11th waypoint, the final cache. What makes this one bearable to me is that all 10 way points are given in the description so you can plot your route out beforehand because if you didn't and just followed them in order they go back and forth across and all over town, some of them are 10 miles or so from eachother. So I am grateful for that. We haven't actually attempted it yet though, its next on the list. Each way point takes you to a historic/scenic spot locally, I can't wait to try it.

Edited by bradnlinds

All this for one Smiley? I would never take the time to do one like this.

yup same here. No way I would dink around with 50 waypoints for a single cache - even if it was in my local area.

Even if it took you to new places you've never been and was extremely well done? If you did it gradually, it would be like finding a whole bunch of individual caches, only difference is, you only get onoe smiley. Is it really that important to you? I mean the smiley? It sure sounds like you're more concerned about the numbers, not the game...

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :anicute:

Thanks,

Kojones

I don't know if 50 waypoints is "too" much, but I am currently working my way through a 42 stage multi in my area. It has been fun so far. The cache is called "The Ultimate Levittown Multi-Cache" (GC18KF7). I wouldn't want a steady diet of these, but it has been interesting. :drama:

Caver Bill

Perhaps if it was a 50-stage virtual I would think about it - I've done the Disneyland ones before which were something around 15. But there is just too much of a chance that one of the finds would be gone/destroyed/whatever for me to want to start a 50 stage cache.

This one has 64 waypoints Chess Challenge. It has had only 9 finds in 2 years. It is in an inner suburban area and you have to drive between waypoints. That speaks for itself how many people have put in on the ignore list or just can't be bothered.

I also have this one (St Andrews - Warrigal Course) which has 12 stages and is in a park which takes a couple of hours to walk around (No bigger than an ordinary golf course). It has had 10 finds in the same time.

People are not interested in spending a lot of time for one smilie even if they have an adventure to do it. But if you not worried about a lot of people finding and you are confident that the ones who will find it will have enjoyed the experience, then go for it.

Edited by Crew 153

The other cacers in your area may not like it because if the ever want to hide a cache in the area they will have to find all 50 legs of your cache in order to make sure they are not to close to any of the 50 waypoints you are using.

I am pretty sure that you can hide a cache right next to a waypoint, or a waypoint right next to a cache, so a cacher wouldn't have to even know where the waypoints are to hide a cache.

I've done three different 16 waypoint multis. Two of them had virtual waypoints and the other one was a 8 mile hike. On of my favorite caches had 20-30 waypoints (I don't remember the exact count) including many dead-ends (it was evil), but it had an awesome storyline and some very clever waypoints. I like multis but 50 waypoints is way too many even for me.