50 Waypoint Multicache?

Kojones

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :D

What is the longest multi you have found or placed?

My longest placed so far has 3 waypoints and a final, and my longest found had 2 waypoints and a final.

Please don't rip me a new one if you don't like the idea, but do express your opinion!

Thanks,

Kojones

The longest one I've found had 10 stages all in one park, including the final. It was hidden by a friend of mine and there have only been occasional maintenance issues with waypoints. The one thing he learned with his multi was to anchor the stages in place so they don't go missing as easily.

How long would the travel distance be for your 50-stage cache? Be careful and think about how to minimize the need for maintenance. This'll help with so many stages.

Personally, I might do such a cache but probably over several outings.

Edited by Ferreter5

I like multis but 50 waypoints, that just sounds tedious.

I agree. The longest I've done is GC11JN4 (Kansas Legends), a 20-waypoint multi. The waypoints were all plaques you had too read to get the clue & final coords. It was in a huge outdoor shopping area so the terrain wasn't bad and it was all within the same area, so not a ton of walking. It was a fair bit of work to get though and still took a couple hours. I saw a 10-waypoint multi in a park recently while trying to fill out my Well Rounded Cacher grid, and I decided to pass on it -- there's enough hiking to take the better part of a full day, and it just ain't worth it for that one find.... just my $0.02 anyway.

The multi would take the cacher in a loop around the city on the "beltway" we have. Basically they would end up where they started...

Travel distance would probably require more than one outting with the search time added.

The reason I thought this up was because we really need such a thing here, I've decided, and I'd love to see the logs... everything from DNF's to Founds to Notes...

Kojones

I like multi-caches where each stage has a purpose. For example, to guide the finder on a certain route or to see certain related items. I am not fond of ones that seem to be placed simply for the sake of creating a muti or for creating a long cache. I have my doubts that a 50 stage multi would be made in a way that required 50 stages to meet its theme or purpose. If it did, I would hope that the cache page made it clear why it was worth doing, because otherwise it would quickly end up on my ignore list.

I'm sure someone might find it interesting. It really depends where your multi is going to take them. If they are placed to focus on some great outdoor adventure that would be great but if they're going to take folks to some grease pit behind a Sconic drive-in, I'm sure they wouldn't find it very exciting.

The multi would take the cacher in a loop around the city on the "beltway" we have. Basically they would end up where they started...

Travel distance would probably require more than one outting with the search time added.

The reason I thought this up was because we really need such a thing here, I've decided, and I'd love to see the logs... everything from DNF's to Founds to Notes...

Kojones

If you just "drive" the loop...what time would it take? With no stops other than routine lights and whatnot.

Edited by egami

All this for one Smiley? I would never take the time to do one like this. I would a lot rather find and log 50 caches than I would do it....Just my opinion, maybe others would love it.

That's a good point too. I might, in a situation as described, make separate caches and give a bonus mystery cache find if they complete the series.

FIFTY waypoints for ONE smiley does seem a bit much...

Why not make each stage a "find" ? Each could still lead to the next.

We have a four mile bike trail cache with this set-up, meant to get families out on a nice, clean trail.

Many folks will participate if each counted.

As JohnnyVegas stated, lose one and the whole games done. Make 'em separate in a series and you still have something to show for it.

Most we've done was a ten multi and we were about sick of it at the end.

Kojones

If you just "drive" the loop...what time would it take? With no stops other than routine lights and whatnot.

The route would be about 2 hours to drive. 110 miles +/-

Kojones

Kojones

Kojones

Ok, so if it were me being an out-of-towner...say I were to make this jaunt, I would at most want maybe 8 stops at decent points of interest with say the 2 hour drive time plus maybe say a couple hours in searching at most.

Again, just my personal take...then again, for locals, not such a big deal as they can spread it out.

I like the above idea the best, with several multi's with 1/5 of the final coords. But I probably would take the time to do it the way you are proposing as well, because it is still the hunt - the number of smileys is less important to me than a good hunt. But PLEASE don't make them all thoughtless, lamp post hides with little imagination or little thought given to the locations of each. That would tick me off as it would quickly become just a waste of gas. Historical places, cool architecture, neat business establishments, etc., would make it fun/interesting, and could be a really great way for visitors to your city to go sightseeing. It could become sort of a travel guide for out-of-towners ! I would like that if I came to CO!

AND as long as you are willing to be diligent about maintaining them!

Edited by kraushad

From some of the posts, it seems it's all about the numbers, of smilies that is!!!!!!!!! Make it a 50 waypoint multi through the mountains and you'll attract "real" geocachers and not just the "skirt lifters." I'd love to do a 50 waypoint multi along a mountain trek and only score one smilie!!!!!!!!

Kojones

Kojones

Well if are they going to be 110 miles of driving I would think they were all going to be Park and Grabs with low ratings and I would never even start it even if they were 50 smilies. If they are not going to be low ratings very few people would ever start it. I don't like PNG or go for low rating caches both of my ratings averages are around 2. That is just me I am in it for the excersice not the numbers and steping on the gas and brake are pretty easy. I have got a few PNG but I didn't start out to get them they were on the way to/from somewhere and I saw them on the GPS.

Kojones

2 hours without stops, but with fifty stops, your looking at an all day excursion. I'd be an unhappy cacher if I drove 70 miles, made 26 stops, then found out that stage 27 is missing.

From some of the posts, it seems it's all about the numbers, of smilies that is!!!!!!!!! Make it a 50 waypoint multi through the mountains and you'll attract "real" geocachers and not just the "skirt lifters." I'd love to do a 50 waypoint multi along a mountain trek and only score one smilie!!!!!!!!

A trek through the mountains for a real cache would be high on my to do list, not an endless jaunt through the city.

Eagletrek,

You would probably like my 100th cache Operation Wreckhunter

You must be skilled in navigation/route-finding, access to all of the locations is via "cross country" routes.

Your physical conditioning must be at its peak.

You'll be visiting several dry areas. You must carry in all of your drinking water.

You'll make several hikes with a combined hiking distance of over 20 miles. Hiking boots are a must.

These hikes are in extremely rugged terrain that include extreme elevation gains and losses, scree slopes, and lots of sharp rocks.

You'll need to drive over 250 miles to visit the different wreck sites.

You'll drive over 60 miles on dirt roads. A pickup truck is highly recommended.

This might be my best bet! I am planning a 9-day solo through the relatively remote mountains (basically you get on a train in a small town, ride for 2.5 hours, then make sure the engineer knows you need to be dropped off at the mid-way point before another 2.5 hours takes you to another small town). I might hit up this idea and place a multi during this trip! I'd certainly be able to maintain it, as I love this type of stuff. Hmm, gotta think up how I might put this together. Prolly have to contact the reviewer to make sure he/she's on board... (no pun intended).

Kojones

I have a six-stage multi that doesn't get near amount the hits that other easy caches do. That's ok, I knew that going in and those that do it loved it. It takes 2-3 hours.

The longest multi I've done? An 8-stage multi that required 12 miels of hiking and 4,500+ feet of elevation gain - loved it. But again, very few finders.

I've also done an 8-stage multi-puzzle that required multiple trips and a total of 30 miles of hiking in the same State Park - loved it. But again....

Now, a 50-stage multi that was a driving tour? I'd pass. It does sound too much like work and not enough play IMO.

I'd go with others and break it into smaller sizes with clues at the final of each smaller multi that lead to the final/bonus cache.

Kojones

2 hours without stops, but with fifty stops, your looking at an all day excursion. I'd be an unhappy cacher if I drove 70 miles, made 26 stops, then found out that stage 27 is missing.

A trek through the mountains for a real cache would be high on my to do list, not an endless jaunt through the city.

Eagletrek,

You would probably like my 100th cache Operation Wreckhunter

You must be skilled in navigation/route-finding, access to all of the locations is via "cross country" routes.

Your physical conditioning must be at its peak.

You'll be visiting several dry areas. You must carry in all of your drinking water.

You'll make several hikes with a combined hiking distance of over 20 miles. Hiking boots are a must.

These hikes are in extremely rugged terrain that include extreme elevation gains and losses, scree slopes, and lots of sharp rocks.

You'll need to drive over 250 miles to visit the different wreck sites.

You'll drive over 60 miles on dirt roads. A pickup truck is highly recommended.

Now that's what I call a cache!!!!!! It's too bad that we don't have many like that in Central Texas but you have given me an idea for a future cache. I might have to convince a friend of mine that we take a road trip in the future to score this one. I wouldn't mine travelling 2000+ miles just to get this one.

Fifty for 1 find is a lot, i agree. I have a 10 stage in a zoo in my town and even though it should be really easy as i geared it for my 5 yr old it still hasnt been found after two weeks. i think it intiadates people. Plus as someone else said the maintence on it. Mine was published and i hade a friend go looking for it and after only 2 days of being published stage 2 was already missing. I was using indust velcro which when i went to main #2 found that 6 others needs to be secured differntly. I ended up screwing in a conduit hangers to hold the cache. now their there for good but still not found:( I agree with someone who also said this make it a series. We just started one that might be simalar. We were going to make a multi called good eats of our opinion of good places to eat of about 20 restraunt in our area but after thinking of all the travel and time it would take we are just putting out them as Good eats series #1, Good eats series #2, ect. An idea that might be good in my opinion is you could make the series and still have it a multi so as geive coords to series #1 and still leave the right coords at that cache and on the publish #2 give coords to something interesting that is around #2 (w/in say 50 ft)but not to the cache and so on. That way someone could go thru like a multi in one day or at their own accord but at the same time someone could be going to the area of say #30 and they would have coords of w/in 50 foot of that cache itd be a lot harder to find and would take a lot of geosense to find but maybe still could. This way each stage is a find and it could be viewed as a multi/mystery(cause the published coords are only a reference to the area) and would be more open to more people and maybe not be so easily put on a lot of ignore lists. Just my opinion...hope it helps for what its worth

I've done a 11 stage multi that required hiking 16 miles round trip, and it's one of my favourite caches.

I'd do your 50 stage multi providing that where you took me was somewhat interesting, and that the 50 stages weren't placed every 528 feet to merely rack up the number of stages.

As far as numbers go, I'd much rather brag about having done one well constructed 50 stage multi, than 50 simple traditional caches.

I had another thought

The other cacers in your area may not like it because if the ever want to hide a cache in the area they will have to find all 50 legs of your cache in order to make sure they are not to close to any of the 50 waypoints you are using.

If you figure in the amount of time it may take to find each leg of the cache this could be a 3-4 hour cache. That is a lot of time for a multi.

Besides getting more people to do it if you break it down to smaller amounts, it may end up being less problematic for those finding it... With a couple of places to start, if one of the stages goes missing, they still have other places to work on it but if stage 5 goes missing, the other 45 stages can't be found.

For me, I would probably work on it slowly as I did other caches, never really focusing on it. Grab a couple of stages while doing other stuff in the area. My guess is many people would do that and if I got 70% of the way through and it was archived due to problems combined with the speed I was doing it, I would be annoyed.

All that being said, it is your cache, do with it as you'd like.

I think 50 waypoints for a multi is a bit much.

I would still eventually hunt it for the challenge but not until after I had found a bunch of others in the area first. You will have a few that really enjoy a good multi that will come looking for it.

But I think the majority of cachers would either put it low on thier to-do list or avoid it all together.

I don't think you would be seeing too many of the numbers hounds going after it. :unsure:

With 50 stages, you could devote one to each state of the union.

Finders would feel that they took a tour of all 50 states to get to the final.

After doing 50 stages, they might just feel that way anyway! :unsure:

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :unsure:

My longest placed so far has 3 waypoints and a final, and my longest found had 2 waypoints and a final.

Please don't rip me a new one if you don't like the idea, but do express your opinion!

Thanks,

Kojones

Good luck being FTF on this one, everybody. Count me out.

I understand the part about taking finders on the loop around the city. But can you explain why 50 points are necessary? Are there really 50 points that are actually interesting to stop to see? Or would finders just be exiting the beltway at every interchange just for the sake of exiting at every possible stopping point?

Can you set up the tour of the loop without so many stops?

If that's what you want to do, go for it.

You should know that it'll get found rarely, and it's quite possible you'll spend more time creating it than all the finders put together will spend finding it.

Also, it would be VERY nice to indicate on the cache page how many waypoints you'll have and an approximation of the distance, direction, and time you'll take. You'd hate to have a lot of people find the first 5 or 10 and give up because they're being taken way from where they're going and have them waste a day of caching.

Way too long.

One of the things I think of when placing a cache is ---- how will this alter the possibility of us or other cachers placing caches in this area in the future??? That is -- I realise that if I place that cache or stage no-one else, including me, can place another cache anywhere within 161 metres (forget what it is in feet).

So by placing 50 stages of a cache -if they are going to be actual containers, and not 'answer to a question' type stages using a plaque or monument or something - you have used up 50 potential cache locations.

If I had 50 spots in my area that were worth stopping at --- no way would I want to use them all for only one cache!!!!!!!! (And I don't think the other more senior cachers in my area would be too happy either)

If you do it at all make it a series of shorter length multis.

Annie

Way too long.

One of the things I think of when placing a cache is ---- how will this alter the possibility of us or other cachers placing caches in this area in the future???

That is a good point...

we have a beautiful local park that is locked out for anyone else to place a cache,

because there are two multi's there that cover the entire area...

247 acres, with two caches... and no more can be placed there...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

I've started putting together a multicache that is planned to have 50 waypoints. Am I out of line? :D

Thanks,

Kojones

But, why would you make it only a mere 50 stages? :unsure:

:unsure:

Way too long.

One of the things I think of when placing a cache is ---- how will this alter the possibility of us or other cachers placing caches in this area in the future???

That is a good point...

we have a beautiful local park that is locked out for anyone else to place a cache,

because there are two multi's there that cover the entire area...

247 acres, with two caches... and no more can be placed there...

Yeah, that was actually brought up earlier by JV.

Edited by egami

Create 9 multi caches with 5 stages each. At the last stage of each of those, add clues that are required to find the points on the last bonus multi cache.

This way, there are 10 caches in the area. If one part of one multi goes down, other parts can still be found until it is fixed.

Also, it gives you a bonus cache that can only be found when all 50 stages have been found.

SHOOSH...50 Waypoints :unsure: !!! I was surprised to hear awhile back, that a local cacher was working on a bakers dozen cache, but that is only 13 WP's, not 50. Gotta say that I would more than likely not consider attempting this one, plus as mentioned, it seems that it would take space away from others in the locale, that could use the room for a fantastic cache. I am sure, with having to place 50 containers, the quality of those hides would diminish as the hiding of all those WP's would continue. I really enjoy a good quality hide.