GPSr ?

RonnieGeo

I am usually pretty good about figuring these type of things out, but .... what does the 'r' mean when appended to 'GPS' ?

Doesn't affect my ability to read and understand the posts/replies, but curiosity is killing me :D:D:):D

Thank you

Ken

Well, it could be "receiver" but I really think it's just shorthand for "er". Sort of like one who catches is a "catcher". One who loves is a "lover". So a device that receives GPS signals is a GPSr.

Hope that helps, but probably it doesn't. :P

I am usually pretty good about figuring these type of things out, but .... what does the 'r' mean when appended to 'GPS' ?

Doesn't affect my ability to read and understand the posts/replies, but curiosity is killing me :):D:D:P

Thank you

Ken

the "r" in GPSr definitely stands for "receiver"

Don't feel obligated to use the "r" just because you see some people using it, though. It looks and sounds silly and pretentious. I wouldn't say "GPSr" any more than I would say "I'm going to turn on the radio receiver" or "I'm going to turn on the televlsion receiver".

Sounds silly and pretentious??? Quite the opposite (at least in writing).

People used to say "television set" or "TV set".

Edited by UncleJimbo

Ah, then GPS set then :unsure::unsure:

Actually, when speaking in person to geocaching friends, I will usually say "GPS unit", not "GPS receiver", but online in these forums, "GPSr" seems to be the accepted acronym.

Don't feel obligated to use the "r" just because you see some people using it, though. It looks and sounds silly and pretentious. I wouldn't say "GPSr" any more than I would say "I'm going to turn on the radio receiver" or "I'm going to turn on the televlsion receiver".

Yes, silly and pretentious :unsure:

Really. Go to the site of anyplace the makes these things: Garmin, Magellan, DeLorme. Look at anyplace that sells them -- electronics stores, sporting goods stores, automotive-accessories stores. Read articles in magazines about hunting, fishimg, backpacking, etc.

They all refer to these units as a "GPS". None of them say "GPSr".

If I say that I have a "hand-held GPS" or a "car GPS", is there any likelihood that anyone will think that I mean that I have a collection of enormous satellites in my hand or in my car? No, theyd know exactly what I mean. If I say that I have "a GPSr", the reaction of most people (who don't read this forum regularly) would be a puzzled frown.

If I then tell them that they and 99% of the rest of the world are wrong for saying "GPS", since "GPS" means the system of orbiting satellites, and that these little devices that we use are supposed to be called "GPS receivers", then I would look just as I described above: silly and pretentious. Not to mention snooty and condescending.