A really good hide

I'm biased, but French Peak is a really good hide in my book. I learned of this one from briansnat posting it in a previous thread of similar topic.

I actually have backpacked to probably right near GZ on this cache location, but it was back prior to the existence of geocaching when I lived in Washington. I was in probably the best shape of my life when we went up back when I went and this was a taxing journey.

I should look for caches listed in the Sawtooth range in Idaho...I've done a lot of backpacking and camping in those areas as well.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but what are some incredibly hard finds....possibly the hardest.

???PICTURES???? :D

Most of the really hard to find hides I have come across were needle in a haystack types of things. The fake rock, or worse, a micro, in a rock pile; the green nano high in a pine tree, etc. In most cases, I thought that they were not just hard to find, but also annoying to find. I now tend to ignore those types of caches.

A few very difficult hides I liked though. One was an ammo can in a rock field with a beautiful hike to get there. The hide began to get annoying, but the hike and the fact that finding a big ammo can could be so hard, made it good. Another was simply a very creative container and use of the surrounding area in a manner I had not seen before or since. So it was neat because it stood out and still stands out.

Well, it 's all relative really -- we've found all the trick/camo type hides that we have looked for so far, with not too much difficulty.

But it took me several weeks of I've-forgotten-how-many-times of DNFing to finally find 1.5/1.5 film canister 250 metres from home. Now how annoying it is to have that at the top of your 'nearest' list!!!

And there is a similar 1/1.5 down the road a bit further that we still haven't found!!! (When several other people have before & after each time we've looked. )

So the hardest hides for us seem to be easy traditionals!! LOL

But if you really are after devious tricks for camo etc, then a small city called Nelson, in the South Island of New Zealand is the place to go.

Annie

Wanna go to Mt. Everest !?!

Read the first entry about the son getting frostbite, and the first finder that didn't claim the FTF 'cause his pen froze up and he was unable to sign the log. Sheesh, I would have pricked my finger and scribed my name in blood - I ain't kidding. :P

:D Another case for stickers! And when those fail I always have a laminated signature to put with the log. Never be unprepared, especially when going for FTF on Mt. Everest. Yikes!

One of the hardest I have found was a tiny little capsule about the size of a blinky, if you have seen one of those. They are about a quarter inch in diameter and less than a half inch long.

This one was not magnetic, but was plastic instead. The hider had put a tiny tack in the inside of the lid of the container, taped the whole thing over with camo tape, and then stuck it on a tree about 10 feet up just above a branch on the tree.

When standing right under it, you couldn't see it because of the branch. When farther away to the side, it was visible but from farther away it was harder to see and identify as a cache.

I wound up finding it by standing about 40 feet away and scanning the trees with a pair of binoculars.

Afterwards when I found it and saw how small it was, I joked about needing a microscope to find it instead!

:D

One of my caches has a slice of plastic slid behind the bark with only a bit of the top sticking out with WP2 written on it. People have told me that this is one of the hardest they have had to find because the only thing around is that one very tall tree with no braches to hide anything else. They always say it is missing, it's not. :unsure:

Wanna go to Mt. Everest !?!

Read the first entry about the son getting frostbite, and the first finder that didn't claim the FTF 'cause his pen froze up and he was unable to sign the log. Sheesh, I would have pricked my finger and scribed my name in blood - I ain't kidding. :unsure:

He also said he found it while wearing sandals. Um... I'm thinking the pen isn't the reason he didn't claim FTF. :unsure: