Current TOPOs vs older TOPOs

c&s 143

I have a Garmin 60CSx and was talking to a coworker about maps. He mentioned that he had an older set of the Mapsource TOPOs that were unused that I could have. I got them and have installed them on my PC (haven't moved them to the GPSr yet). The software is at home and I am at work but if I remember, the maps were copywrited to 2003.

Is there a lot of difference between the current 2008 set and ones from a few years ago? Is there something compelling reason to spend the money?

I am a geocacher and typically only hike national/state/local park trails using park-provided maps. I plan to use the GPS for some lake and coastal kayaking as well but I don't think TOPOs would help much there. ;)

Thanks!

Craig

C&S 143

Someone else will have to comment on the differences between the two programs, but I can offer the more general observation that while streets and commercial POI data may change a lot, topography doesn't. I find the USGS quad data very useful on my PN-20 even though its 50 years old or more.

Thanks for the comparison site. It looks like the differences are not that great. I think what I will do is stick with what I have now. If in the future I come across something to make the cost of the newer ones worth it, I will check into it again. I just wanted to make sure there was not some grand thing in the new ones that was a cant-live-without-it feature.

Thanks!

Craig

C&S 143

I have both the old topo maps and the 2008, depending on where you are there can be quite a bit if difference between the two. One of the things I noticed right off was that there are more back country roads and trails on the 2008 version. I can easily load the contiguous 50 states on my Vista HCx with the the old topo but I can only load western third of the 2008. I noticed that there is a lot more detail added in the central and eastern regions. If you use memory size as a gage the 2008 map segments range between 2x-4x larger then the old version. It still doesn't match the Delorme Topo USA ( I am still on version 3), but it is quite an improvement and worth the inverstment IMO.