Garmin Etrex Vista cx connection problems with Microsoft VistaV

I thought it was time to load up my new lap top with GPS enabeling software and also to start downloading waypoints/ caches from Geocaching .com.

I also wish to upload tracks from my GPS.

However the p.c cannot seem to identify the GPS and indicates as much on the screen instructions.

The USB cable seems to be fine and is also used for my camera, and the p.c identifies that a new item has been plugged in but cannot identify what it is and therfore is not cooperating.

Any ideas anyone ? before I contact Garmin.

My old p.c had none of these problems as far as I recall but it was 2 years ago.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

:lol:;);)

There is an incorrect registry permission that is resolved by installing the latest MapSource web download from here. This will resolve the issue for MapSource as well as any other Garmin applications that are already installed such as Garmin Training Center.

The help files will not work on Vista due to Microsoft abandoning support for the .hlp format help files. Garmin is creating help files in the new format. As soon as they are ready, an update will be made available.

There is an issue with updating old USB drivers in some rare cases. This is a very rare occurrence according to our product support team. There is a workaround for this and you can contact our Product Support department here.

There is a new set of USB drivers available. The updated drivers can be downloaded from here.

From the Garmin support FAQ - http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/searchsupport

Have you tried the new drivers yet?

I thought it was time to load up my new lap top with GPS enabeling software and also to start downloading waypoints/ caches from Geocaching .com.

However the p.c cannot seem to identify the GPS and indicates as much on the screen instructions.

The USB cable seems to be fine and is also used for my camera, and the p.c identifies that a new item has been plugged in but cannot identify what it is and therfore is not cooperating.

My old p.c had none of these problems as far as I recall but it was 2 years ago.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

:lol:;);)

I haven't used a USB GPS myself but you will need drivers installed on the PC for the GPS, you're probably best off downloading the drivers from WWW.GARMIN.COM rather than using the originals (if you still have them), as the downloaded drivers will probably be more up to date.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

;):lol::lol:

Thanks all, I went onto the Garmin website and downoaded the updated drivers. eventually it all worked out! :o;):P

Thanks also to Garmin at least their downloads work unlike the ones from Tom Tom which were impossible with my car GPS !! :D;)