Northwest Conference on Computers in Education

WeightMan

This conference is coming to the Seattle Convention Center on February 27-29. The last time it was here GEMs started a geocaching activity. Since this was in Seattle, this same activity has been done in San Diego, Portland and Spokane.

Each of the 2500 participants will be given a ticket for a free drawing. In order to be included in the drawing, they must stop by the Geocaching booth, get some information and find the temporary caches that will be placed in Freeway Park next to the Convention Center.

Volunteers needed 2/27 Wednesday 8-12 &12-4 2/28 Thursday 8-12 & 12-4 & 2/29 Friday 8-12

The volunteers will give the teachers a quick orientation on how the GPSr works, with coordinates preloaded. We'll help them checkout the GPSr, give them a one page map on one side and cache description, hint and coordinates on the other. If they have their own GPSr they'll only need the handout and obviously no training.

To make sure they have actually completed the course each teacher will need to retrieve one of the items in each cache, each cache will contain a different item. When they have all the items they return to our booth and turn in the items, GPSr, Handout and Ticket to then be entered into the drawing. Volunteers will periodically return the items to each respective cache so that the caches will always contain items.

If you can help, post a note here or contact GEMs through his profile.

I did this the last time it was in Seattle and had a great time helping out the teachers at the conference. I have heard the same thing from other places this has been done.

Any questions, ask away.

Things are shaping up! The equipment is ready...The course is set...Conference registration is at an all-time high...now we need a couple more volunteers...any takers...

4 hour shifts...either 8 - 12 or 12- 4

Wed or Thursday

or 8 - 12 on Friday.

I'm checking in with caching partner "Mudsneaker" We might be able to take 8 to 12 on Friday

Will let you know tonight.

Sounds like fun... and I've done lots of booth-manning at various trade shows and conferences.

Pengana

Just to summarize:

Wed 8-12 GEMS, WeightMan, Mapless in Seattle +2

Wed 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, Mapless in Seattle +2

Thurs 8-12 GEMs, WeightMan

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan

Fri 8-12 GEMS, Pengana, Mudsneaker

If that is correct we need a few more folks for Thursday and Friday and could use one of two more on Wednesday

Just to summarize:

Wed 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, Mapless in Seattle +2

Thurs 8-12 GEMs, WeightMan

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan

Fri 8-12 GEMS, Pengana, Mudsneaker

If that is correct we need a few more folks for Thursday and Friday and could use one of two more on Wednesday

Oops, I never did specify a date...I'll be there Friday.

Just to summarize:

Wed 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, Mapless in Seattle +2, DiMonkey

Thurs 8-12 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost

Fri 8-12 GEMS, Pengana, Mudsneaker, Allanon

I have added in those that just indicated they would be there for sure.

We could use some more on Thursday.

Here's a sneek peek at the coordinates:

1) 47 36.646 122 19.861

2) 47 36.571 122 19.853 or 47 36.554 122 19.878

3) 47 36.610 122 19.835

4) 47 36.631 122 19.820

5) 47 36.683 122 19.826

Each Cache will represent one of the coffee companies (ie Starbucks, Tullys etc.)

Nothing is a the coords now.

DiMonkey is still trying to work out the details of our sons' Knowledge Bowl meet on Thursday afternoon...Hopefully she will be available Thursday morning, we'll let you know as soon as we here back from the coach.

Edited by kk7uz

Just to summarize:

Thurs 8-12 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost, Global Girl, DiMonkey (?)

Updated

Just to summarize:

Thurs 8-12 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost, Hunk Of God

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost, Global Girl, DiMonkey (?), Hunk Of God

Updated

This is coming up next week.

Directions #9 "On of you will win..." should probably be "One of..."

Oops, I looked at the wrong #9. Thanks for the catch on my error.

I was going to point out the typo, but I see that Allanon beat me to it.....

I also wanted to let you know that I will NOT be available for a Thursday shift. I just can't work out the logistics of getting my sons out the door for school and making it to Seattle by 8 am. In the afternoon I have to transport them to a Knowledge Bowl meet so I have to be back by 2pm. I am looking forward to Wednesday afternoon. I can probably arrive between 9 and 10am if you need extra help on Wednesday morning. Just e-mail me.

Edited by DiMonkey

Just to summarize:

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost, Global Girl, Hunk Of God

Updated

Only a few days away. Still time to sign up for this fun activity.

I'm here in Downtown Seattle, Red Lion on 5th.

Question:

Since some of us will be doing a bit of back and forthing to retrieve/restock, would it be wise to bring my bike along?

No bike needed...it's a very short distance.

I caught and fixed the "On"e error.

We expect 3,000 teachers on Thursday!

This is gonna be a blast!

I am looking forward to Wednesday, but I have a couple of questions...

Where do we meet?

What do we need to bring?

Any other information that we need to know?

I second this motion.

can we get this info before tomorrow?

especially parking.

Also, i got injured today...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=36589eba-7187-4fbc-9d5b-045c7a3fef82

but we're still coming, i'll just be ThumblessInSeattle for the duration

Oh man, I just saw this thread. Have been wanting to help with one of these events since GEMs started them. Besides, it's been way too long since I've seen my old "Hot Potato" and "Bloated, Festering Head" teammate, GEMs.

My schedule is free Thursday and Friday, but sadly, at best I could do one shift on one day. Tell me which shift, if you still want more fanatics.

GeoDiver

Where do we meet?

I second this motion.

especially parking.

Also, i got injured today...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=36589eba-7187-4fbc-9d5b-045c7a3fef82

Ouch!!! I'm not worried about the parking, I am taking the bus since I hate driving and parking in Seattle. I just want to know where to go once I get there.

Oh man, I just saw this thread. Have been wanting to help with one of these events since GEMs started them. Besides, it's been way too long since I've seen my old "Hot Potato" and "Bloated, Festering Head" teammate, GEMs.

My schedule is free Thursday and Friday, but sadly, at best I could do one shift on one day. Tell me which shift, if you still want more fanatics.

GeoDiver

Looks like Thursday morning or the one shift on Friday have the fewest. Which should I put you down for?

Where do we meet?

I second this motion.

especially parking.

Ouch!!! I'm not worried about the parking, I am taking the bus since I hate driving and parking in Seattle. I just want to know where to go once I get there.

Last time we were just inside the door of the convention center that opens onto Freeway Park. I will be taking the bus myself and it is scheduled to arrive at Convention Center Station just before 8AM.

See you all in the morning.

Where do we meet?

I second this motion.

especially parking.

Last time we were just inside the door of the convention center that opens onto Freeway Park. I will be taking the bus myself and it is scheduled to arrive at Convention Center Station just before 8AM.

See you all in the morning.

I'm scheduled for the afternoon, but will probably arrive by about 10:00. After I drive the morning middle school carpool.

What do we need to bring if anything?

GeoDiver

Looks like Thursday morning or the one shift on Friday have the fewest. Which should I put you down for?

Friday would be best...THANKS!

Just to summarize:

Thurs 12-4 GEMs, WeightMan, WanderLost, Global Girl, Hunk Of God

Fri 8-12 GEMS, Pengana, Mudsneaker, Allanon, Geodiver

Updated. I shall see some of you in the morning.

Where do we meet?

No need to bring anything...but you can bring any geocaching items you'd like to show off.

I'll be at the geocaching booth on the 4th floor of the convention center...follow the signs to the NCCE conference registration...(it's around the corner from were it was 3 years ago weightman). I'll be there at 7 am.

GeoDiver! can't wait to see you again!

The bad news is the coordinates are lousy. It is hard to get a good signal next to the Union buildings!

I finished all preparations today...We're ready to roll. Thursday will be our busiest day.

Glenn :(

The results are in!

3,000 more people know about geocaching and Groundspeak.

300 actually attempted our course in Freeway Park

1 winner of the nuvi 750, Clay Roonsaville of Grants Pass, OR

Next conference: back to Portland, Theme: Navigating the New World of Technology...Pirates!, Feb 17 -20 2009

Fractal, PDXMarathonman...you guys ready for the fun?

GEM's, WAY TO GO! Nicely done on all your good work to coordinate this.

And I want to thank you for the opportunity to participate as a volunteer at the GeoCaching table and in the field with the conference attendees. As much fun as it was, I had to marvel at what great possibilities an event like this presents in exposing vast numbers of people to GeoCaching. The many attendees who participated in the hunt, as well as those who just stopped by the table to learn about GeoCaching, are all educators, so when you think about the number of other educators and students who will be exposed through them, it's quite significant. GeoCaching will certainly benefit from these types of events.

I stand ready to volunteer again when the next opportunity presents itself. Thanks again!

GeoDiver

Rick

GEM's, WAY TO GO! Nicely done on all your good work to coordinate this.

And I want to thank you for the opportunity to participate as a volunteer at the GeoCaching table and in the field with the conference attendees. As much fun as it was, I had to marvel at what great possibilities an event like this presents in exposing vast numbers of people to GeoCaching. The many attendees who participated in the hunt, as well as those who just stopped by the table to learn about GeoCaching, are all educators, so when you think about the number of other educators and students who will be exposed through them, it's quite significant. GeoCaching will certainly benefit from these types of events.

I stand ready to volunteer again when the next opportunity presents itself. Thanks again!

GeoDiver

Rick

I could not agree more with what GeoDiver has to say. It was great fun and we sure introduced several people to our addiction.

Two of the highlights of me for the day were going out with the first group I took around for the day. They were totally excited about all the possibilities for using this to engage their students. Another group I took out after lunch just about jumped up and down and squeeled when they found the first cache on their own.

It was such a joy to experience that first find euphoria through the eyes of someone else and then see them start to consider all the possibilities for using this technology in the classroom.

Thanks for putting this on Gem's and for letting me be a part of it.

I had a great time again. Again because this is my second time as a volunteer. The first time I was a Noob and still learning myself (well, I'm still learning 3 years later too, but not as quickly), but this time I was more comfortable.

I echo what the others have said, hearing and seeing the excitement from these educators on a new way to share and teach kids is something else.

I highly recommend that if you have a chance to do this event with GEM's, take advantage of it.

Have you thought of introducing them to Wherigo? It seems like it has a huge potential for use in education. To supplement history in books, I can imagine Wherigo games that recreate historical events and sending students to go out and do them. Won't that stick in their heads better than reading about it in a book! I wonder if Groundspeak is missing a golden opportunity by not attending events like these, since there are not many cachers familiar with Wherigo yet.

Have you thought of introducing them to Wherigo? It seems like it has a huge potential for use in education. To supplement history in books, I can imagine Wherigo games that recreate historical events and sending students to go out and do them. Won't that stick in their heads better than reading about it in a book! I wonder if Groundspeak is missing a golden opportunity by not attending events like these, since there are not many cachers familiar with Wherigo yet.

I did talk about it a little bit with a few of the teachers. One in particular was working in a core classroom setting with two other teachers. She is a literature teacher and she works with a science teacher and a history teacher. As soon as I heard that Wherigo popped into my mind as being a perfect fit.

Perhaps by next years conference GEM's will be able to incorporate that into the presentation. I'm betting that there will be some education specific cartridges created by then that can be used.