didn't even know i had it

slidegear

What a fun location to find a benchmark! Do you have any photos of the location you could post? I bet they're pretty! I've never been to that part of Maui.

One clarification: the mark you found is actually TU2939. See the arrow and the "NO. 1" on the disk? Those mean that it's a reference mark. According to the descriptions at the bottom of the page for TU2940, the main benchmark (TU2940) is about a foot away from RM1, beneath a platform (if it's still there), and about four inches below ground level. Maybe it's in one of your other photos?

So, do we have you hooked now? :mad:

Patty

What a fun location to find a benchmark! Do you have any photos of the location you could post? I bet they're pretty! I've never been to that part of Maui.

One clarification: the mark you found is actually TU2939. See the arrow and the "NO. 1" on the disk? Those mean that it's a reference mark. According to the descriptions at the bottom of the page for TU2940, the main benchmark (TU2940) is about a foot away from RM1, beneath a platform (if it's still there), and about four inches below ground level. Maybe it's in one of your other photos?

So, do we have you hooked now? :mad:

Patty

ooops... guess i didn't have it after all! my bad, thank you for the correction patty... i'll have to see about amending the error. reading the history indicates that the original concrete post probably doesn't exist any more. the platform is still there but i seem to remember that you could access beneath it from a cutaway on the top and all around at least two of the sides (guess i might have been real close after all). saw the RM1 disk's description after looking around for a reference for so long that it made me jump to that conclusion haste. had a feeling that there was more too it than that.

the location is beautiful, it is a cow pasture where the mountain drops off into the sea far off in the distance. there is a large concrete platform at that spot about two or three inches thick set about thigh high but otherwise no other signs of civilization. my other shots do not give the location any justice (i was more interested in the disk and platform) but i'll see if i can grab some frames off of the video a friend took of the flight.

This picture is of a type a Hawaii Territory Survey Triangulation Station Monument. Did the platform look like that? Sorry I could not find a better picture.

f9d4ba45-35de-4425-bf4a-30f1745c712d.jpg

The mark is usually directly below the pole in the center and difficult to photograph. This is designed to allow a surveyor to remove the pole and occupy the mark. You can sometimes photograph the disk that way.

ooops... guess i didn't have it after all! my bad, thank you for the correction patty... i'll have to see about amending the error.

You did a great job of explaining everything on both the TU2939 and TU2940 pages here on Geocaching.com. The photo of your tour group is very cute, too!

reading the history indicates that the original concrete post probably doesn't exist any more. the platform is still there but i seem to remember that you could access beneath it from a cutaway on the top and all around at least two of the sides (guess i might have been real close after all).

This history of this station is very confusing! Post, pier, platform, tablet, monument, target...I wonder whether it's standard procedure to put on a reference mark the date of the original station to which the RM is pointing, not the placement date of the reference mark itself. (In this case, 1929 vs. 1965.) Maybe someone else here can jump in and confirm where exactly you should look for the bronze HTS disk if you ever get a chance to go there again.

Patty

i seem to remember a number around 4,490 miles mdg2003 but i can't remember where orwhen i saw it.

the platform is similar but of different proportions 68-eldo. it was set into a pedestal of pier-like construction. there is a post with a target marker and some evidence of some minor disturbance to the site. i didn't think of (re)moving the post but then again i didn't know what i was looking for. in retrospect i would still refrain from doing so should i encounter a similar situation to this one.

btw wintertime... here's how we got there. notice the spot on their map?

i seem to remember a number around 4,490 miles mdg2003 but i can't remember where orwhen i saw it.

the platform is similar but of different proportions 68-eldo. it was set into a pedestal of pier-like construction. there is a post with a target marker and some evidence of some minor disturbance to the site. i didn't think of (re)moving the post but then again i didn't know what i was looking for. in retrospect i would still refrain from doing so should i encounter a similar situation to this one.

btw wintertime... here's how we got there. notice the spot on their map?

This one is a reconstructed “platform”. Because of all the construction in the area this one has been renovated. But the signal remanins the same.

2915b063-351b-4372-9a78-aef0fcebd345.jpg

If you look at my recovery of Gilbert there are pictures of the “tablet” under the signal pole. It is at or near ground level and the cross bar above the tablet is to prevent the post of the signal from contacting the mark. With the pole removed the surveyor can drop his plumb-bob down to the mark while the platform provides a location for the tripod.

The signal on this one is gone for some reason. This location has been out in the middle of a cane field for many years. Now “civilization” is moving in on it.