Legend HCx Strange Inaccuracy

Hi

I have had my Legend HCx for a couple of weeks and have been benefiting greatly from the wealth of information on this message forum. Thanks to everyone.

I had an apparent position error with my GPSr that I don't understand and I was hoping that someone could shed some light on it. Tonight when I was in my house I turned on the unit and it showed that my position was over 300 m away from what should have been my location. I have a "Home" waypoint that was at it's original Lat and Long, but my current position arrow was over 300 m from this waypoint. At this time the unit was reporting a positional accuracy of +/- 20 m. (One other factor that I was wondering about is that the battery level was only showing one bar.) I walked around the house to see if it would find itself but even though it responded to my position change it was still showing the 300 m offset from my home. I turned the power of and awhile later I turned it back on and it now showed the current position at the Home waypoint (+/- 5m).

What are the possible user or equipment error explanations for this discrepancy?

Thanks in advance.

What are the possible user or equipment error explanations for this discrepancy?

Possible user error: You had "lock on road" turned on. It locked on a nearby road the first time when it initialized thinking it was near that road, and initialized far enough away from that road to not lock onto it the second time you turned it on.