New guy - Opinions wanted!

Swampworks

OK, I've been interested in Geocaching for while but have finally decided to jump in and buy a handheld. So, I'm kinda looking at the Garmin Venture HC for a starter unit. Have a source to get it new for $140.

Any opinions? Suggestions?

Are there better units for say within 50 bucks? And what would be the advantages?

I am open for all suggestions and opinions!

Thanks in advance!!!

For about 50 bucks more you can get the Legend HCX. Advantages are expandable map memory and autorouting (turn by turn driving directions). The Venture HC has neither.

There is also the Venture CX, which does autorouting and has expandable map memory, but lacks the ultra high sensitivity receiver. It should be roughly the same price as the HC.

I think the important thing is that with the Legend HCX or Venture CX you have a unit you can grow into even if you don't need the additional features right away.

Yeah, fer sure, if you can get an "X" model instead of the plainer version, go for it. You will eventually appreciate the extra features, and even if you change your mind about that unit and want another one later, the resale value will be higher on the one with more bells and whistles.

I'll second the Legend as a better choice for a richer set of features you might not use right away but will want someday.

Just to clarify, I'm sure Starbrand is referring to the Legend HCX and not the Legend. Very different animals.

ooopps

:smile:

:D

HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx..... (will 100 repeats suffice??)

Bumping this back up to the top because my new Legend HCX was delivered today!!! Woooooooooooooo!!!

Take this a fair warning that you are about to be bombarded with rookie questions!!!

I'll second the Legend as a better choice for a richer set of features you might not use right away but will want someday.

Just to clarify, I'm sure Starbrand is referring to the Legend HCX and not the Legend. Very different animals.

ooopps

:unsure:

:unsure:

HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx HCx..... (will 100 repeats suffice??)