Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching?

My parents taught me that there are a few specific situations where a lie can actually be a good thing.

Like when your wife says, "Do I look fat in this dress?"... Seriously though, what is a good lie? And I ask sincerely.

Like if you're hiding Jews and the Nazis come to your door and ask if you're hiding Jews.

Children, children, this is just a game. :blink: Shame on you all for letting this get into such an argument. You all remind me of the football mom's and dad's, charging out on the football field starting fights in front of their kids. Grow up for crying out loud, kids see this stuff. You all made your points, now let it go!

Shame on the mediator for egging this on. Race reference's are nether welcome or professional

Edited by Hobo2

....Personally, I would rather enjoy my cup of [tainted] coffee while watching the sunrise instead of sitting behind the computer complaining about how tainted coffee is ruining the coffee industry and how nobody is able to enjoy good cup of coffee while watching the sunset....

Welcome and thanks for taking time away from your sunrise to post in this thread. If you read carefully you would notice that nobody said to stop enjoying sunrises. Only that if you find something blocking your view take some time to schooch over a bit to better enjoy it again.

A lot of people are taking what is for most a mohill and making a mountain out of it to illistrate their point. It remains a mohill.

It's lunch. Lately I've gotten in the habit of enjoying a hot chocolate. It's dispenssed at the quikie mart out of the coffee machine. I've managed to live with the taint or maybe the taint is what makes their hot chocolate a lot better than others. I'm not sure, but it's working for me.

My parents taught me that there are a few specific situations where a lie can actually be a good thing.

Like when your wife says, "Do I look fat in this dress?"

That is an excellent example, yes.

That is a case where the lie hurts nobody, but the truth might potentially hurt her feelings, affect her (and my) near-term chances at certain forms of, um, happiness, and therefore degrade our entire evening.

Thank you for helping me make my point. :o

Well if I tell her the dress DOESN'T make her look fat when it actually DOES make her look fat and one of her friends pulls her aside at the party and tells her the dress isn't particularly flattering, you can bet I'LL be hurting later! :o

Nobody said we were going to a party. Please stop changing the example.

My wife doesn't wear dresses for fun. Besides, MY wife has never asked that question when I was the ONLY person who was ever going to see her in an outfit. My wife ONLY asks how she looks in something if she is going out in public.

Your mileage may vary.

The example may vary too, apparently. :blink:

RON provided an example. I responded to that example. Going back and changing the example to suit some other point does nothing to change the fact that his example helped make my primary point.

I was simply explaining WHY I went WHERE I went with his example. My wife wouldn't ask the question unless she was planning to go out. That's why I made my little joke. In my own experience, the question has ONLY been asked in the context in which I presented it.

:o

Edit: Removed party reference and changed emoticon from :o to :o in order to better convey my intent.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Like when your wife says, "Do I look fat in this dress?"... Seriously though, what is a good lie? And I ask sincerely.

Like if you're hiding Jews and the Nazis come to your door and ask if you're hiding Jews.

I personally believe this is a terrific example of a "good" lie. The Nazis might disagree. They may think the liar is a traitor to the Fatherland.

Children, children, this is just a game. :blink: Shame on you all for letting this get into such an argument. You all remind me of the football mom's and dad's, charging out on the football field starting fights in front of their kids. Grow up for crying out loud, kids see this stuff. You all made your points, now let it go!

Shame on the mediator for egging this on. Race reference's are nether welcome or professional

It was apt. Calling it out as something other than that tends to illistrate your own post as you rush out from the sidelines to defend a non issue.

It's an example of when a lie is the better thing to do than the alternate.

If it helps here is another 'Red' example built on something in this world and brought up in this thread.

When the McCarthists are are your door demanding to know if you have any "communist" friends in hiding..

Edited by Renegade Knight

Another fine example. Thanks. :blink:

I personally believe this is a terrific example of a "good" lie. The Nazis might disagree. They may think the liar is a traitor to the Fatherland.

Perhaps the benefit must be weighed to telling the lie versus telling the truth. Very good example. This is a good example of how everything is not always black and white. Similar to whether torture would be okay if millions of lives would be saved. Some argue torture is never okay, in any circumstance, but if I could save 1000's of lives by smacking someone around a bit, I guess that would be okay.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Yep, prove's a point. The "lie" is innocent...unless someone finds out differently. THEN, not only could YOU be affected by the outcome, but so could your family or friends (the nazi's didn't discriminate who they punished as far as I could tell).

Allow me to expand:

There are bad lies, there are good lies, and there are lies which are neither (benign).

I know of no bogus cache logs which are actually "good." Such a thing may exist, but I have neither proposed nor suggested the existence of a "good" bogus cache log, and either way they are not relevant to this thread.

Some bogus cache logs are bad. Nobody seems to have a problem with that premise, including me. This side track, while debatably on topic, is irrelevant to the OP’s premise that so many people continue to defend even though the OP himself has backed off.

Some bogus cache logs are benign. This is my main point, and this is what our latest round of discussion seems to have proved.

That is a case where the lie hurts nobody, but the truth might potentially hurt her feelings, affect her (and my) near-term chances at certain forms of, um, happiness, and therefore degrade our entire evening.

Thank you for helping me make my point. :blink:

The real art of tact is to tell them the truth without using a sledgehammer. They will dress better and feel better for it, plus you will still get lucky. It's a better win than just lying to avoid hurt feelings.

The best outcome here still involves the truth.

Perhaps the benefit must be weighed to telling the lie versus telling the truth. Very good example. This is a good example of how everything is not always black and white.

You mean ... your parents were wrong? :blink:

...Some bogus cache logs are benign. This is my main point, and this is what our latest round of discussion seems to have proved.

That's a simple point for you to make.

Most benign logs take up the space of good logs. I only get 5 in my PQ. Most folks only read a few when looking up the cache. Anytime a benign log gets in the way of a valid and good log, it' a problem.

The one example where it's a non issue was when the cache itself was fake.

What's your example of a benign bogus log?

Perhaps the benefit must be weighed to telling the lie versus telling the truth. Very good example. This is a good example of how everything is not always black and white.

You mean ... your parents were wrong? :blink:

No, sorry.. there was some sarcasm there... What happens when the nazi's search the house and find the Jew's that you just lied about? Any potential negative drawbacks to lying there? Sometimes I will lie, knowing its wrong, because I perceive some kind of benefit to doing it. That doesn't make it any less wrong. Just makes me human.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Thank you for helping me make my point. :blink:

The real art of tact is to tell them the truth without using a sledgehammer. They will dress better and feel better for it, plus you will still get lucky. It's a better win than just lying to avoid hurt feelings.

Pointing out that the truth is a better choice doesn't make the lie any less beneficial.

I am not arguing in favor of telling lies over telling the truth. That has never been my position. My position is merely to point out that some bogus cache find logs don't hurt anything.

Telling me that the truth is a better choice, as much as I agree with you, doesn’t change the validity of my point.

...No, sorry.. there was some sarcasm there... What happens when the nazi's search the house and find the Jew's that you just lied about? Any potential negative drawbacks to lying there?

If doing the right thing were easy more people would do it. The phrase "no good deed goes unpunished" comes about for a reason.

In the example above, had the people all done the right thing and said "This is BS" when the first baby steps were taken it would have made getting to the point of knocking on doors rounding people up a lot harder.

Pointing out that the truth is a better choice doesn't make the lie any less beneficial.

I am not arguing in favor of telling lies over telling the truth. That has never been my position. My position is merely to point out that some bogus cache find logs don't hurt anything.

Telling me that the truth is a better choice, as much as I agree with you, doesn’t change the validity of my point.

Now your starting to make some sense...

...No, sorry.. there was some sarcasm there... What happens when the nazi's search the house and find the Jew's that you just lied about? Any potential negative drawbacks to lying there?

If doing the right thing were easy more people would do it. The phrase "no good deed goes unpunished" comes about for a reason.

In the example above, had the people all done the right thing and said "This is BS" when the first baby steps were taken it would have made getting to the point of knocking on doors rounding people up a lot harder.

Everyone knew what Hitler was doing and chose to do nothing about it. Had everyone stood up for what was right from the beginning, the Nazis would not have been knocking on anyones door to begin with and the jews would not have been hiding in attics.

Now your starting to make some sense...

"Starting?" That has been my position all along!

But thanks anyway. :blink:

[quote name='KBI' ...The real art of tact is to tell them the truth without using a sledgehammer. They will dress better and feel better for it, plus you will still get lucky. It's a better win than just lying to avoid hurt feelings.

Pointing out that the truth is a better choice doesn't make the lie any less beneficial....

True, it's merely less beneficial than the truth.

With the lie, they feel good, you later feel good and they look like crap (relative to what a better outfit would have done for them) to everone else. The two benefits don't change. Nor does the drawback.

The truth would lead to all the beneifits of the lie, plus they would look better to everone else and while it may be subtle she would feel better in the better outfit rather than worrying about the one that's just not working.

OK folks, it's time to get away from the "Lies are good vs bad" topic. The excess discussion of this is distracting from the main topic and needs to stop.

The "Lies are good vs bad" topic is essential to the debate. The OP addressed bogus find logs. The current question is whether a bogus find log should be considered "bad" solely because it is a lie.

OK folks, it's time to get away from the "Lies are good vs bad" topic. The excess discussion of this is distracting from the main topic and needs to stop.

The "Lies are good vs bad" topic is essential to the debate. The OP addressed bogus find logs. The current question is whether a bogus find log should be considered "bad" solely because it is a lie.

What's your example of a benign bogus log? Keep in mind I'm pretty liberal on log content. If it's a find and you tell a story about your long lost puppy Akimbo that doesn't bug me. Heck if you lie about your long lost puppy I dont' care either. The log type and reality lining up is my only concern. Find = Find, DNF = DNF etc.

Most benign logs take up the space of good logs. I only get 5 in my PQ. Most folks only read a few when looking up the cache. Anytime a benign log gets in the way of a valid and good log, it' a problem.

That is a very, very minor issue, for me at least, but I must concede that you have made a perfectly valid point.

If I print out a cache page or receive a PQ listing and the log history is limited to only the latest five entries; and if one of those entries is bogus, regardless of whether it’s a find, a note, An SBA, etc; then whether I know it or not I have, at the most, only four valid log entries available to read.

Good job. I do see your point. It's a minor thing, and it doesn't change my opinion of the otherwise harmlessness of the bogus log entry, but it is an annoyance nevertheless, one I never even considered.

This is a practical issue and I still believe it has nothing to do with "degrading the hobby," but I am happy to admit you have just proved to me that no bogus log can be completely benign.

Thanks, RK! :blink:

What's your example of a benign bogus log? Keep in mind I'm pretty liberal on log content. If it's a find and you tell a story about your long lost puppy Akimbo that doesn't bug me. Heck if you lie about your long lost puppy I dont' care either. The log type and reality lining up is my only concern. Find = Find, DNF = DNF etc.

The OP defined bogus logs as a logged find when the cacher didn’t even come anywhere close to the cache. The example of a benign bogus log that I've been using in my head in order to keep up with this discussion is a 'Found it' bogus log that no ever notices is fake (nobody did a paper to on-line log comparison), followed quickly by an actual find and log.

I might have to adjust my thinking about this example, based on what you just mentioned about PQs only passing the last 5 logs .... :blink:

The example of the logger before me. It would appear that those are bogus logs, but I wasn't affected. Future searchers will see my DNF and know that the cache might be missing, so they also won't be affected.

The example of the logger before me. It would appear that those are bogus logs, but I wasn't affected. Future searchers will see my DNF and know that the cache might be missing, so they also won't be affected.

You can only say with certainty whether you personally would be affected. You cannot speak for anyone else and how it would affect them.

Been wondering how long a “hunting for a box in the woods” discussion would take before Godwin’s law would be proven.

Or for Reductio ad Hitlerum to be invoked.

Good job.

Oh, I think you should not falsely claim a find. If we allow false logs in GeoCaching the terrorists have won.

;)

I'm pretty sure that the same analogy was used several pages ago.

;)

My bad.

Last thing I would want to do to this short, concise thread is to pad it out with repetition.

;-)

Future First Commissioner of Olympic GeoCaching...when I think of this person (who MIGHT actually become a reality some day), I imagine that person being a fair, open-minded type who makes remarks politely and helpfully? One who uses tact when making a point. One who isn't sarcastic with every comment...you know, a pleasant type person who isn't overly confrontational! I hope this happens some day. You'd know that Geocaching had come a long way!! Of course, THEN, false logging wouldn't be accepted!

...The example of the logger before me. It would appear that those are bogus logs, but I wasn't affected. Future searchers will see my DNF and know that the cache might be missing, so they also won't be affected.

From your prior post on that you were not sure. So neither am I. We don't know.

However, Assuming they were though, it still knocks one of the legit logs off the list and can give a false report on some filters people use to decide to search. Still an issue overall though for you it wasn't.

...The example of the logger before me. It would appear that those are bogus logs, but I wasn't affected. Future searchers will see my DNF and know that the cache might be missing, so they also won't be affected.

From your prior post on that you were not sure. So neither am I. We don't know.

However, Assuming they were though, it still knocks one of the legit logs off the list and can give a false report on some filters people use to decide to search. Still an issue overall though for you it wasn't.

There is always a way for a cacher to avail himself to the entire cache page log history. Limiting one’s self to only the last five logs is a common choice, but ultimately it is just that: a choice.

It is a choice I make frequently myself, but is it a choice I make with the full understanding of the risk that I might cause myself to miss something important in the older logs.

Bogus logs can clutter the "last five list," as you have correctly pointed out, but so can other spurious info such as "Logging personal Travel Bug through," "I found this cache before but came along with my caching friend today to watch him find it," and "I’ve solved the puzzle, and I hope to look for the cache this weekend." Each of those comments could either be correctly logged as a note or incorrectly logged as a bogus smiley. Either way the clutter effect is the same.

The more I think about the last-five-logs issue the less it seems to matter in any meaningful way.

Edited by KBI

The more I think about the last-five-logs issue the less it seems to matter in any meaningful way.

A lot of the time, it probably wouldn't matter in any meaningful way. But the possibility exists that it could cause some cacher to waste money on gas looking for something that isn't there.

A lot of the time, it probably wouldn't matter in any meaningful way. But the possibility exists that it could cause some cacher to waste money on gas looking for something that isn't there.

Based on the last few posts it sounds like you and I have ... agreed to agree! ;)

I am able to comprehend that some lies just don’t matter.

I've got you on record now. I think this entire debate comes down to the fact that my parents taught me that lying is wrong, no matter what... Your parents taught you that lying is okay sometimes.

I don't think we can get past this difference.

Didn't your parents teach you about the Christians in Europe who hid their Jewish neighbors from the Nazis? When the SS came and asked "Where are your Jewish neighbors?" these people told lies. Had they be caught telling lies they would likely have been killed. If your parents taught you that lying is wrong no matter what, they taught you wrong.

As KBI said there are bad lies, benign lies, and good lies.

No one is claiming that lying about finding a geocache is a good lie. It isn't saving anyone from the Nazis. There are some lies where the cacher believes the benefit of a lie outweighs any potential harm. For, example, the person who logs a find on a cache his friend found for him. The cache was found, the logs tells the owner and other cachers the cache was found, and the Travel Bugs that were picked up by the friend are marked as being in the cachers possession. Certainly this could've been done with a Note, although some cachers who simply look at the last found date or the type of the most recent log might not have noticed that the note says the cache was found. The majority of the bogus logs are benign logs. They don't falsely indicate the cache is there to someone like briansnat's friend would was waiting for the cache to be found before traveling 100 miles to look for it. Armchair logs on virtual caches are generally easily recognized as such and most other false found it logs clearly state that they are false and the cacher is taking credit for one reason or the other. If you think that people who lie about finding Geocaches are more likely to lie about other things that might explain this log.

icon_smile.gifFebruary 11, 1944 by Oskar Schindler

Greeting from Germany! I found the answer for your virtual cache while I was saving some Jews from the gas chamber. I hope you let me log it.

... but I am happy to admit you have just proved to me that no bogus log can be completely benign.

He hasn't proven it to me. There are some folks that back date bogus finds to keep them out of PQs and to keep them from being noticed.

There are some folks that multi-log event caches to account for temp caches.

Both of these examples, to me, show that a false Find log can exist, can easily be argued to be fake, and does not reduce the fun that other cachers have playing the game.

... but I am happy to admit you have just proved to me that no bogus log can be completely benign.

He hasn't proven it to me. There are some folks that back date bogus finds to keep them out of PQs and to keep them from being noticed.

Both of these examples, to me, show that a false Find log can exist, can easily be argued to be fake, and does not reduce the fun that other cachers have playing the game.

Look's like this is dying down, but I'll bite anyway...it's already been shown that these multi-logs can and have taken some pleasure out of reading the event page....not that I want to argue that now, but it's been shown!

The first example might be benign, but surely does show just how far someone would go to get a smiley...

Been wondering how long a “hunting for a box in the woods” discussion would take before Godwin’s law would be proven.

Good job.

Oh, I think you should not falsely claim a find. If we allow false logs in GeoCaching the terrorists have won.

;)

Yep I mentioned lying to the Nazis on page 15, though I should point out that this is not an analogy. It is simply an example of a good lie. Much like a falsified airplane inspection is an example of a bad lie. An analogy would have something to do with ice cream. Since no one mentioned lying to the Nazis about ice cream, Godwin's law cannot be invoked. Nice try HopsMaltYeast. :)

Edited by tozainamboku

Look's like this is dying down, but I'll bite anyway...it's already been shown that these multi-logs can and have taken some pleasure out of reading the event page....not that I want to argue that now, but it's been shown!

It's also been shown that sometimes caches are placed nearby events, to be multi-logged instead of the actual event page. That way the loggers can log the event with the fun to read logs, and the extra logs on a page not intended to be read for enjoyment. Can I go back in time and be more specific in my example? ;)

The first example might be benign, but surely does show just how far someone would go to get a smiley...
I agree, it's silly. I wouldn't do it, and I'd delete any logs on my caches that I knew were faked in this, or any other way. But... it's a benign log when allowed to stand on someone else's cache.

Good job.

;)

Yep I mentioned lying to the Nazis on page 15, though I should point out that this is not an analogy. It is simply an example of a good lie. Much like a falsified airplane inspection is an example of a bad lie. An analogy would have something to do with ice cream. Since no one mentioned lying to the Nazis about ice cream, Godwin's law cannot be invoked. Nice try HopsMaltYeast. :)

Yes, but you did not specifically mention Hitler at that time.

Oh great, did you just undo Godwin’s law which was recently invoked on this thread by mentioning Hitler and the Nazi’s again?

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

And more importantly, the corollary to Godwin’s Law that states that once Godwin’s law in invoked that a.) the person mentioning Hitler arbitrarily loses the debate and b.) the discussion and thread are over – stick a fork in it. It is done.

I fear you have pulled a loose piece of yarn that may unravel the sweater of the Internet universe.

Good points. Thanks.